Anyone know any Professional Gamers?

king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By king0fprussia

I'm currently penning a piece for publication on whether or not going professional takes the "fun" out of gaming and am looking for some pros to chat with. I thought the GB community might be able to help! Reply or message me if you know anyone.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't know any, but I'm pretty sure going professional at a game would take the fun out of it.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By McBEEF

I know a guy who tried to go pro, but all he ended up doing was not shaving or washing for ages and playing counterstrike:source for over 700 hours. (not all in one go) 

I'd say its less fun if its less of a game and more of a job.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By frankxiv

you might be hard pressed to find anyone free soon unless you're in the columbus ohio area, there's an mlg event this weekend, so that will probably take up a lot of halo, cod, and sc2 pros time.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I doubt it takes the fun out of it completly. Sure their main objective is to win but those people must like the game in order to dedicate themselves to it.
Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Franstone

I was once paid to play games so does that count?  ; )

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I know a guy who is going to some MLG Starcraft thing in Texas or some shit does that count.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By McGhee

If you mean jobless losers that only play games all day, then yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

No one knows the shirtless wonder Fatal One Thank You?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Binman88

Don't know any sorry, but I'm gonna add my two cents. 

I don't think it would take the fun out of it. People who enjoy football (or any sport) when they're young, for example, tend to enjoy it just as much or more when they're competing at a professional level (and earning money while doing it). I would imagine professional gamers get similar levels of enjoyment from competing in their tournaments and leagues. Of course it's more work than just playing as a hobby, but since when did work suddenly equate to the loss of enjoyment?

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@Binman88 said:
Of course it's more work than just playing as a hobby, but since when did work suddenly equate to the loss of enjoyment?
Not all work does but a lot of it can. I mean, take the Giant Bomb crew for example. The first time they went to E3 they were probably psyched out of their minds, like any of us would be, but you listen to them now and the word E3 just makes them sigh. Of course, that example is kind of different seeing as E3 is a once a year event and isn't really a typical work day for them.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88
@Suicidal_SNiper said:
@Binman88 said:
Of course it's more work than just playing as a hobby, but since when did work suddenly equate to the loss of enjoyment?
Not all work does but a lot of it can. I mean, take the Giant Bomb crew for example. The first time they went to E3 they were probably psyched out of their minds, like any of us would be, but you listen to them now and the word E3 just makes them sigh. Of course, that example is kind of different seeing as E3 is a once a year event and isn't really a typical work day for them.
I see your point, but I think some people look at things like professional gaming, game development, and indeed games journalism and say you're 100% going to lose your love of video games, which is simply not true. If it's something you're really passionate about, you will relish the challenge, and the effort and work involved would be worth it.  

I would give my left arm to be in such a position as any member of the GB crew, as it sure as hell beats doing something you categorically dislike, like filing audit reports or answering the telephone in an industry that has no bearing on your personal interests. I never like making comments about other people's jobs, and the relative work involved, but the GB crew certainly appear to have it a good deal easier in their workplace than your typical 9 to 5 employee working in a busy environment such as (I can only speak from my own experience) a bank or financial institution. I've never worked their job, so I could be wrong, but from my perspective, their sighing or moaning about the work ahead of them comes across as a tad ridiculous. /rant :p
king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By king0fprussia

Loving that I spurred a discussion! 

Yeah, I'm looking at this sort of like professional athletes, so if you know folks who've been doing this a while (even as sort of a weekend warrior), either message me their info or I can message you mine. 

@ Binman88   @Suicidal_SNiper This is the exact debate I'm looking at. Does working on something every day take some of the joy out? Yeah, you can love it, but the grind of it can kind of suck. 

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I have played at MLG for MW2, and was co-leader of the #1 team for Rainbow Six Vegas on ps3. I have also participated in MLG tournys for RSV2. I'm still currently widely known and plan to partipate in MLG for MW3 and the new Rainbow Six that was just announced.  

Am I a Professional gamer? No I wouldn't say so, but I've done quite a lot in the last 4 or 5 years.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mighty
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said: How is that different than a professional sport?
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

You should ask on the MLG forums, I'm sure someone there would be willing to answer your question.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By awe_stuck

Try Justin TV. Zacaroni isnt MLG, but he has his own stream.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Azteck

Have a friend who used to be sponsored by Steelseries and some other shit for playing CS

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By tkalsey

call of duty ones.
optic rambo
stainville
jkap
mrmerk

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

Im so Pro at Angry Birds, I challenge any of you to a one on one to probe it!

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tanikaze

I don't know any personally but I bet if you go on Team Liquid and send a PM to a progamer telling them what you're doing you could get a response no problem.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee
@Empirepaintball said:
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said: How is that different than a professional sport?
Hero status and enormous paychecks.
pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pigmartyr

I'm the supervisor of a guy who is sponsored by several groups for playing TF2. We have a few GB community members are who top 200 star craft players.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I am IdrA's left testicle.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Marz

dudes in my old WoW guild said they used to be pro Tribes and CS players... but I don't take the word of online friends seriously most of the time.

Also, my WoW server (Tichondrius) used to have alot of proffessional Arena players, i'd see them time from time but i never really known them personally.  Team Pandemic, Team Fnatic,  MoB Turtleforce used to play on the server. Though i think most transferred off once popularity died down.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I'm a professional Transfarrer

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't know anyone. my friend does game battles, it's sponsored by MLG. he does it for fun. 

i don't think it would take the fun out of it. it might if you lose but that is about it.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hennet_sim

I know some pro fighting gamers that are around Texas.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jasta

A guy I played CS 1.6 with was a Quake 3 pro. He used to not show up to scheduled matches, and re-appear a few days later, my favourite of his excuses being "Sorry guys, QuakeCon was this week". 

His full-time job was a Tennis Coach, so he was no slob, despite what many people think about professional level gamers.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DAFTPUNK
@McBEEF: phht 700 hours of CSS that is nothing :P try that multiplied by 2 and I am still in fresh condition :P 
CSS is the only game I play all year round never gets old. If I found out how much time I have played Counter Strike( All the different versions) I might just Explode
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By meteora

I sort of know an acquaintance's little brother is a top 600 player in League of Legends (even then that's a far stretch other than he's high ELO). Other than that, I don't know any pros personally other than being able to list a bunch of progamers.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX
@king0fprussia said:
I'm currently penning a piece for publication on whether or not going professional takes the "fun" out of gaming and am looking for some pros to chat with. I thought the GB community might be able to help! Reply or message me if you know anyone.
If you want to interview SC pros you could try to go to Teamliquid, create an account, and PM some pros there (they all have accounts under their own names). I don't know if it'll work but they have interacted with randoms from the community in the past, as long as you appear professional, polite, and make sure it doesn't sound like a troll.
king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By king0fprussia

Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful thus far.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tanikaze
@DystopiaX said:
@king0fprussia said:
If you want to interview SC pros you could try to go to Teamliquid, create an account, and PM some pros there (they all have accounts under their own names). I don't know if it'll work but they have interacted with randoms from the community in the past, as long as you appear professional, polite, and make sure it doesn't sound like a troll.
Yeah exactly. You don't even need to PM some huge name dude that gets thousands of messages like an actual member of Liquid or Incontrol or someone. Even I've had Nerchio respond to me on the forums and he's pretty good.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX

@Tanikaze said:

@DystopiaX said:
@king0fprussia said:
I'm currently penning a piece for publication on whether or not going professional takes the "fun" out of gaming and am looking for some pros to chat with. I thought the GB community might be able to help! Reply or message me if you know anyone.
Yeah exactly. You don't even need to PM some huge name dude that gets thousands of messages like an actual member of Liquid or Incontrol or someone. Even I've had Nerchio respond to me on the forums and he's pretty good.

Jinro's responded to me lol.

But yeah a lot of pros are active on forums on stuff, especially the smaller names

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

There's kids who go to some Xbox style cafe thing and have competitions against one another, does that count? 

MLG level, no not really.  
I know a bunch of kids who do GB's and go on and on about their 37k rank and how pro they are. I think thats the type of people you will find for your article or whatever it is you're writing :/
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

My friend is the #3 Tager on Blaz Blue 2 apparently and he goes to a lot of tournaments and is training for EVO.  I guess he enjoys it but when I play against him it is not fun, like at all.  MvC3 is a bitch to play with him especially since I already don't like the game but because I play against him so much I'm decent at a game I don't like.  SSFIV is still fun although some fights just get down right tragic and annoying.