Anyone Try Steam Streaming off a Windows Surface yet?

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was just curious to see if the hardware on the 2 would run it without hitching up.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I watched this earlier.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No, but it works incredibly well from my good PC to this terrible laptop that I have that wouldn't be able to play Dark Souls 2 maxed out on its own.

It's a basic remote tool, technically, though. The annoying thing is when it briefly gets stuck on the desktop for the remote PC haha

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MasterpinE

Yep, works great. I have an original Surface Pro and streaming over wireless with a good router is pretty much flawless. I picked up a new Pro 128gb for a touch over $500 a few months back, it's a hell of a lot of PC for that much money. There's not a huge gulf in specs between the original, the 2 and the newer 3's.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By butano

I've got the first Surface Pro w/ 128GB. Haven't tried streaming yet, but it's a pretty capable machine for gaming on its own when running them around med-low settings.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@butano said:

I've got the first Surface Pro w/ 128GB. Haven't tried streaming yet, but it's a pretty capable machine for gaming on its own when running them around med-low settings.

Yeah if you bought a Surface Pro, you bought it for a capable and mobile gaming laptop. The streaming is useless for it, because once you plug it up to a controller/display, why not just play at your host PC lol?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Streaming what? I guess you are talking about surface pro? Really not sure what the context of this thread is.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bollard: Steam Streaming, a new thing they just launched where you can stream a game from one PC to any other PC on your network with Steam installed and it can send inputs back to the host PC.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Bollard

@corruptedevil: Ah thank you for explaining, I've actually thought about making something like that to make local coop games multiplayer, I don't imagine that's the intention for this feature (I assume it only streams to one device).

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Working fantastically on my yoga pro 2, which is almost the same thing.

Playing triple A releases in higher than next gen console settings on my laptop/tablet. Amazing. If there was any need to pickup a console aside from exclusives, this just killed it.

The main issues to contend with so far has been resolution stuff, especially since I run a multi monitor setup at my desktop. I feel like this might have just killed the gaming laptop industry, especially when/if they extend this to work remotely over an internet connection as they have recently done with the shield.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By UlquioKani

Is there any significant input lag?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Works perfectly on my Surface Pro 2.

Is there any significant input lag?

It might depend on your hardware at home but my router is nothing special and I've noticed no lag playing Dark Souls 2 or Transistor. Of course since it's at your home and no other devices are interfering the lag should be 1ms.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't imagine it would be terrible if you run it through a physical adapter. Wi Fi is bound to be a little spottier for obvious reasons.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sparkysanxion

I've just tried streaming from my gaming pc...to my oldish 2009 macbook (that doesn't really run good games all too well)....and it was a) really easy to set up (i.e. there was no set up, it just works!) and b) worked amazingly well. Very few hitches in the stream, or quality drops, or anything I was expecting.

Thought it was great.

Going to set up one of these old pentium machines I have lying around, and see how it/if it works to something like that ;)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should work fine but clearly with "Your Millage May Vary" just like with any "under class" hardware.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By AndrewB

The hardware is similar to what I'm using in my last-year rendition of the MacBook Air. The hardware itself is clearly not the bottleneck, because it runs flawlessly. The real bottleneck comes with network hardware. Streaming to my Air on a 5Ghz Wireless N connection comes with a tolerable amount of input lag (I can notice it, but it's still mind-blowing to have instant access to my entire catalog of even non-Windows games running at maxed visuals from anywhere in the house, and the amount of lag is inconsequential in playing something besides the twitch FPS). Streaming off my living room media center PC on older AMD hardware and, more importantly, the lower 2.4 Ghz band introduces a level of lag noticable and detrimental, making playing anything but a turn-based game feel like enough of a lesser experience to sway me away from playing anything that way for a lengthy period of time. I'll have to tool around with the settings a bit and figure things out, but I get a video flicker (screen goes black for a second every 10 or so seconds) like a dropped video frame.

Another interesting question would be - does game streaming allow you to play a game like the touch-enabled version of Civ V remotely with full touch controls? I would assume yes, since gamepads function just fine remotely, but that would be kinda cool because how many people own a desktop machine with a touchscreen or a mobile device with the power to run Civ V at the settings/resolutions that your more standard desktop build might? Though wouldn't the resolution differences between the tablet and the rendered desktop resolution interfere unless you did some tweaking to the settings to make them line up perfectly?