Are Crappy Discounts Funny? Another World 80 cents off

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I shouldn't really care but my eyes rolled so hard every time I looked at Another World on the PSN.

As a PS+ member, I get a discount.

That discount is from 7.99 to 7.19... :|

I'm not even sure this game is still on sale today but this image haunts me.
I'm not even sure this game is still on sale today but this image haunts me.

Ok. A deal is a deal. And even 10% can mean a lot. But... I dunno. I either would have not bothered to have this on sale, or brought it down to 5.99 or something that actual feels like a discount.

How do you feel about tiny itsby bitsy sales?

note: I'm not seriously angry/upset. Please envision a laughing, casual, frustration. Then reply.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You have issues if that insults you.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it a little weird, but it sort of reeks of entitlement to find it insulting.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I think there's a difference between being entitled to a discount by basically paying for it (PS+) and just being offered one for nothing (Steam, GoG etc).

In the former case yeah, I can understand some disappointment, you paid for this based on the expectation of being offered good deals and having been offered good ones in the past

but in the latter all it is is a nice thought that isn't goo enough to lead to action.

so yeah in your case I think you are right to feel that way.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I feel like it's just a downside of cheap games. 10% off a a new, $60 game isn't terrible, but when the new games is $8 and they want to give a 10% discount, it doesn't look as glamorous.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have issues if that insults you.

@zeik said:

I find it a little weird, but it sort of reeks of entitlement to find it insulting.

maaaaaaan. Harsh. I didn't mean like REALLY INSULTING. Moreso "huh, that's lame". I keep forgetting everyone on the internet takes everything 100% literally and to the maximum meaning of the word. Like I couldn't be a *little tiny bit* insulted but just COMPLETELY INSULTED. I should edit the OP if this is a sign of coming comments.

@slag said:

In the former case yeah, I can understand some disappointment, you paid for this based on the expectation of being offered good deals and having been offered good ones in the past

I think this is what made me laugh, just that I really can't think of another "deal" like this.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, you sound entitled. Are you happy with your ps plus subscription regardless of this? If so, why does it matter? A discount is a discount.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Yeah, you sound entitled. Are you happy with your ps plus subscription regardless of this? If so, why does it matter? A discount is a discount.

It's like seeing a car at a used car lot that says regular price 1000 on sale 998. T-Shirt regular price 30 bucks, on sale 28.

Never mind PS+. Never mind the game. I'm asking, in general, how you feel about low ball discounts.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy said:

It's like seeing a car at a used car lot that says regular price 1000 on sale 998. T-Shirt regular price 30 bucks, on sale 28.

Never mind PS+. Never mind the game. I'm asking, in general, how you feel about low ball discounts.

It's 10%. That's almost always the ps plus discount rate for new games. It's low because the original asking price is already lower than other games. You might as well be condemning the game for being cheap (you're doing so inadvertently).

The game is very cheap, they are offering people with ps plus the normalized discount rate. I do not see anything wrong with this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

@rongalaxy said:

It's not the same at all. A $1000 car 10% off would be $900. The lower the price the lower the discount. It's math. There's nothing strange about it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That probably came off harsher than intended, but I don't think the sentiment is wrong. It implies that you're owed a bigger discount just because. I feel like that's a negative repercussion of modern steam sales and mobile gaming. I think it stems from a similar source as to why digital games can't charge more than $10-15 without backlash. or mobile games can't really charge anything anymore.

To be fair, part of me has always been a little insulted by the idea of being charged $5.99 instead of $6, implying that we're so stupid to think that seeing a 5 instead of a 6 means we're more likely to buy something. I don't feel like this is quite the same though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:

@rongalaxy said:

It's 10%. That's almost always the ps plus discount rate for new games. It's low because the original asking price is already lower than other games. You might as well be condemning the game for being cheap (you're doing so inadvertently).

The game is very cheap, they are offering people with ps plus the normalized discount rate. I do not see anything wrong with this.

lol alllright. Thanks for the explanation! I was aware of all that but I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding me.

I find the 80 cent discount to be funny, not "wrong".

Do you think 80 cent discounts are funny? I guess not.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GERALTITUDE
@hunkulese said:

@geraltitude said:

@rongalaxy said:

It's not the same at all. A $1000 car 10% off would be $900. The lower the price the lower the discount. It's math. There's nothing strange about it.

What's funny is the *amount* of the discount, not the rate. 80 cents is a funny amount. I'm sorry I couldn't communicate this clearly, as everyone seems to think I can't perform simple math, don't understand PSN, or some such nonesense. It's weird how fast people assume you are stupid.

@zeik: "It implies that you're owed a bigger discount just because" ; my bad if that was the implication I dropped but that's not what I'm trying to say. Please see above about funny discount numbers.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of dislike 'joke' sales, generally. Like when the horse armor went up in price. Like, "haha, guys. Remember how fucking terrible this was? What if we were even more detached from our consumer base?" And the fact that 1001 Spikes is 10.01 on 3DS makes me want to not buy it out of spite because they're trying to be cute. Then again, I thought the Cards Against Humanity thing last Black Friday was actually kind of clever, and then they ended up selling a bunch of the game when it was up in price. So, maybe I'm just weird.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ten percent off. It's a little extra for being a plus member. Nothing more. Yea when your talking that cheap of a game it isn't much but whatever.

I'm sure it's not intentional but you are sounding entitled in this thread. Move on duder.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is amateurish. Steam selling packs of games for MORE than they cost separate. Now that is a deal!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RonGalaxy

@geraltitude said:

@rongalaxy said:

@geraltitude said:

@rongalaxy said:

lol alllright. Thanks for the explanation! I was aware of all that but I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding me.

I find the 80 cent discount to be funny, not "wrong".

Do you think 80 cent discounts are funny? I guess not.

I understand where you're coming from and you are missing the context of the situation. an 80 cent discount on 100 dollars might be funny (thought it wouldn't be to me. Just not my sense of humor); an 80 cent discount on 8 dollars is just not even worth discussing. It's a discount, and it's a fair one when you think about it for a second. Doesn't matter what the amount is.

So no, I don't think it's funny. Do you laugh every time you walk into a walmart/kmart/target/whatever and see discounts for a few cents on a candy bar or a pack of gum?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@rongalaxy: well, yeah, I would. That's exactly what I'm saying.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright then. I won't fault you for what you find funny. Can't really control your sense of humor. There's probably a million things that I think are funny and other people think are stupid. I don't usually start threads about those things though (I did once and it didn't turn out as I envisioned).

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this kinda thing is really hard to convey in text.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

PSN discounts range from effectiveness based on how cheap the game's price is. The cheaper the games the more useless they are. In this case the game was pretty cheap so the standard discount didn't make much of a dent. On games that cost $15-$20 they make more sense and considering prices like this aren't as common it doesn't bother me at all.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth, I get what you meant, and yeah, I can see the humor in it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Low discounts can be funny at times, but uh, this isn't really crappy. It's just low discounts. Most things I ever buy have only low discounts(like groceries). It's not really weird.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@geraltitude: Did this game just arrive on the store recently? It makes sense to give a small discount when a game comes out to entice more people into buying it soon, but if this game has been out for a while and just received it, then that's just silly.

Also, don't get insulted over stuff like this. That's not silly. Either you think it's a good deal, or you don't.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude said:

Alright then. I won't fault you for what you find funny. Can't really control your sense of humor. There's probably a million things that I think are funny and other people think are stupid. I don't usually start threads about those things though (I did once and it didn't turn out as I envisioned).

It's almost as if the same thing is happening to me! :S :D

I think this kinda thing is really hard to convey in text.

yeah this happens to me all the time but I'm so tired of it failing. why can't we live in a world where a man can share with others what makes him laugh? You'd think it'd be so simple.

@shagge said:

For what it's worth, I get what you meant, and yeah, I can see the humor in it.

YAY :D a savior is delivered unto me

Low discounts can be funny at times, but uh, this isn't really crappy. It's just low discounts. Most things I ever buy have only low discounts(like groceries). It's not really weird.

*Man*. Talk about dropping truth! Greoceries for some reason are mostly immune from this branch of my sense of humour. I mean, it's a little funny, but I guess we are just so used to penny discounts for food. Fascinating realization.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: and people shared that they didn't find it funny. Not a huge deal.

I remember when a bunch of people in a meeting I was in were making terrible jokes. I said to my friend next to me "everyone's a comedian " and he said " no they're not"

Basically comedy is hard. Especially mental (can't think of a better word) comedy like this.

As someone who often finds humor in the very subtle I feel your pain

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@gruebacca said:

@geraltitude: Did this game just arrive on the store recently? It makes sense to give a small discount when a game comes out to entice more people into buying it soon, but if this game has been out for a while and just received it, then that's just silly.

Also, don't get insulted over stuff like this. That's not silly. Either you think it's a good deal, or you don't.

ehhhh hows about... no. I don't think it's either a good or bad deal. It's a funny one.

@darkstalker said:

@geraltitude: and people shared that they didn't find it funny. Not a huge deal.

I remember when a bunch of people in a meeting I was in were making terrible jokes. I said to my friend next to me "everyone's a comedian " and he said " no they're not"

Basically comedy is hard. Especially mental (can't think of a better word) comedy like this.

As someone who often finds humor in the very subtle I feel your pain

haha yep! All good people don't think it's funny but at this point it's more a hilarious bummer how many posts deep it took to even get to the point people were realizing my purpose *wasn't* crying about sales but just pointing out something I thought was funny. ah well, crappy OP. I feel this thread is a summary of my life failing at forums.

Mental Comedy is a *great* label, by the by.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Justin258

A lot of you guys seem completely oblivious to his point. He wasn't insulted or feeling entitled, it's just that a discount of eighty cents is a really small discount. Even on something as cheap as eight dollars, eighty cents sounds kinda laughable. As someone who has seen people laugh at small discounts, I can see where the humor might come in. I didn't laugh myself but, eh, whatever.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By cornbredx

I get what you're saying OP, and yes I find it very funny.

It's funny because it's almost ironic. You got PS+ to get games on sale and this game is on sale for 80 cents less.

That's not technically ironic, which would be more so if no games were on sale anymore after you got PS+, but it's funny in the same way.

I don't know how else to describe it, but ya I get it OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I think I understand why they do it, not that I like it.

They put the game on discount so it stands out on the playstation store. It may appear in a "discounts" section of the store, and it visually has the yellow/gold PS+ price on its in-store placement. This way a game many people don't care about or even know about can appear where people are looking. People looking for a bargain will be looking in the discounts section, and so some will be tempted by the already-low price when they do see this game, even though the discount means absolutely nothing.

Controversy:

When I'm looking for something to buy and I see these minuscule discounts of games it distracts me because it is a form of noise. It doesn't matter that it is 10% of the price if the price is already low, it just means nothing to me as a consumer. The cheap games are a tough sell, because they are often of universally extremely low value (lower than the cheap price you pay for them), and so only a small group of consumers will find them to be of higher value than they cost. Contrary to popular opinion among enlightened gamers, nearly all of the cheaper games have lower artistic awareness of the human condition than even Call of Duty, so if you are more concerned with art than gameplay, I suggest you look elsewhere (I'm specifically mentioning this because many of us, myself included, have had this naive belief). Whatever kind of experience you are trying to search for, you could most definitely do better elsewhere than by buying a cheap game, unless you happen to be in a very specific niche, or the title happens to be a rare exception. Buying a low-value game just reduces your purchasing power slightly, which you could be spending on more substantial experiences (even within the same medium).