Are external drives on PS5 still a problem?

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I had an external 1TB drive from Seagate connected to my PS4 Pro all the time and never had a problem with it, but I haven't switched that over to PS5 so far, although from what I understand it should be a very easy process because it's already formatted for Playstation systems and I would really just have to plug it into the new console and would be good to go. However, from listening to some GiantBomb podcasts I got the impression that a significant number of people ran into problems with their PS5 after having first connected an external drive to it. But I'm quickly approaching the point where I could really use some more hard drive space in order to migrate my PS4 games there so that they don't all have to be on the internal drive of my PS5.

Which was all a rather lengthy wind-up to a pretty simple question: Does anyone know if the problems with external drives connected to a PS5 still persist or whether the problem seems to have been fixed by now?

RaynorShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I’m not having any troubles with it. Did have a problem with it turning itself off in rest mode but that was just a couple weeks back in January. The new update is nice, cold storing a copy of ps5 games on an external drive is more handy than I would have thought.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By FacelessVixen

I don't have an answer (because I don't have the console), but maybe Digital Foundry does:

Loading Video...

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've never had a problem with mine, but it seems to have sorted itself out for the couple of people I heard were having those issues.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I bought a 1TB drive when I got my PS5 at launch and it was great for about a week, until it hard crashed the console trying to patch a PS4 game that was installed on there, so I haven't plugged it in since. That was back in November. I know the problems are probably fixed but my internet is fast enough that I can delete/re-download games when I need them on the internal drive, so I haven't wanted to risk plugging the external back in.

Maybe now is the time? It seems insane to me that they'd patch in support for external PS5 games without also addressing those crashing issues? It's just so hard to tell because their patch notes are so frustratingly vague.

Also unsure about Rest Mode and whether that's still an issue. I've just had it disabled ever since people started reporting issues.