Astro's "special" 2.55mm cable hell

Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darkstar_Pug

First off let me tell you I don't know a lot about this particular area of the tech world. So I ask, why is this 2.55mm cable special? What is that little thing-a-ma-bob called and why does it keep it from making a distortion/white noise/buzzing (or whatever you want to call it) sound. I have all the extra info you could want but, I figure this is a start.     
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Gav47

Its a transformer and buzzing and clicking usually means its on its way out. What have you connected with the cable?  

Edit: whoops missed the first word of your title. Are the headphones in warranty? Is the noise coming from the transformer or the headphones?

Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darkstar_Pug

@Gav47:
That's the thing this cable is busted and I'm using just a regular 2.55mm I got online. I need to know what the hell i can do to my non first party cable to get it to work. If I'm not using their "xbox controller cable" there's a lot of feedback that comes out of my mic. =(  Also this is the cable that connects the mix amp to the controller.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Gav47

If you are sure the problem is with the transformer then there isn't much that can be done, its probably made bespoke for the headphones. Is it in warranty? If so put that shit back together, pretend you never opened it and get a replacement.

Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darkstar_Pug
@Gav47 said:

"If you are sure the problem is with the transformer then there isn't much that can be done, its probably made bespoke for the headphones. Is it in warranty? If so put that shit back together, pretend you never opened it and get a replacement. "

I really hope that stupid little box isn't proprietary and I'm absolutely screwed. Here's some info, any more help would be great.  

1. I'm out of warranty and the store to purchase replacements have been out of stock since September.
2. I do have 3rd party (I guess you could say) replacement cables, 3 to be exact. The downside being they all suffer from feedback problems.
3. I was told to purchase ferrite core blocks and guess what, they did jack shit. =( If anyone knows anything about how those work that be nice. =P
4. I have 2 first party cables that I'm sure i could salvage for their transformers. The thing is would attaching them to my "3rd party" cables even work?
5 Here's kind of a stupid tidbit. The Astro cable uses what I'm assuming is gold plated jacks and the others don't???? Does that make a difference?
6. This is kind an obvious one but I've heard that the Turtle Beachs equivalent the "Talkback cable" works just like Astros "Xbox cable." If anyone has
    a Turtle Beach headset of any kind maybe they could check and see if the're similar in any way before I shell out more cash.  

I'm sure there is more i can do but god, if this has taught me anything it's that nothing is as easy or as black and white as it should be.
Now if you excuse me, there's a pillow somewhere around here I need to curse Astro's name into...  

Save our landfills and HEEEELLLLP MEEEEE =P

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1