Totally agree with you!

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would be willing to try anything, ANYTHING to make this happen. Austin's such a great dude that really brings a lot.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By htr10

I know Waypoint isn’t for everyone, but Austin is pretty great there too.

Agree him coming back here would be amazing, but wouldn’t want to wish it to happen at the expense of his other ventures.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I would like that, I'm pretty sure that would be a step back for him. He "left" Waypoint to pursue other opportunities, which was much more his baby than Giantbomb, so I can't imagine he'd have much reason to come back here.

But he should definitely be a guest as often as possible.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how that looks as a career move but yeah I always hope he can find time in schedule to guest on things.

Also go listen to his actual play podcast (FAtT) it whips ass.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Austin doesnt need to come back to be a part of GB, and these occasional podcasts and features are good enough for me. GB should be hiring new faces , not established people like Austin.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicolasvh: Well, I'll have to move some stuff around but... might take a couple hundred years. Brb!

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By onlineatron

To hear Austin tell it, he had five years in this industry full time in him and “leaving” Waypoint last year was pretty much it for him.

He seems much more suited doing the work he does now with the schedule he has now and there is absolutely no chance he’ll come back here. Nor should he – we’re exhausting.

ps. Go listen to Waypoint Radio if you don’t. I find Austin is far more able to be himself there and has deeper discussions on that show than he ever did here. Maybe i’m projecting but I often feel like he hedges a little talking with this crew, like there are things he wants to express that he either doesn’t have the time to or isn’t sure they’d be met well.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I want Austin to do whatever makes him happiest and most fulfilled.

With that being said, I absolutely love when he appears on a GB podcast.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you had cake everyday, it wouldn't feel special. Austin is a great guest, in part because his appearances are events.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes:

...what? Austin is great every day.

dunbar256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I deeply deeply miss Austin + Dan + Vinny + Alex. Those were the days.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I deeply deeply miss Austin + Dan + Vinny + Alex. Those were the days.

fwiw, Austin left Giant Bomb in June 2016 (right after E3 of that year), and Dan didn't move to NYC and join GB East until something like December 2016 (right after GotY or something, he starts appearing in GB East stuff in January 2017).

So the Austin + Dan + Vinny + Alex days exist only as maybe 0-5 Beastcast episodes where Dan guested temporarily, and a few E3 shows where they were maybe all in the same room. But yes, for someone as wildly uninformed as Dan, Austin's thoughtful explanation and/or full-hearted roasts were a good match.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin was amazing

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, but Austin needs to do what he needs to do. If you truly love Austin you'll let him run free.

Also, I'm like, two years behind on Friends at the Table. I need to marathon that shit.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I would lose my mind if Austin came back, but based on why he stepped away from Waypoint (to actually have a work life balance and to work on those other projects), I would not be surprised if he never joins a video game website full time.

AndyC80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry I don’t follow Austin, I know waypoint got absorbed into Vice- but what is he doing now? He seems to still work for vice?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was nice hearing him on the Bombcast. I should tune into more Waypoint stuff because I miss his takes on games and life in general. Plus, that laugh, man. That laugh is life.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andyc80 said:

Sorry I don’t follow Austin, I know waypoint got absorbed into Vice- but what is he doing now? He seems to still work for vice?

He just does the podcast for Waypoint now. Gave up his full time management role and switched to (I assume) some sort of contracting deal.

Other than that, running a tabletop podcast and... part of the writing team for a New Day graphic novel? Something like that.

Funguy2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Funguy2020

Dan is the man, that's who needs to go come back.

Funguy2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funguy2020

@andyc80: The thing they originally hired him for got shut down and/or incorporated into something else.

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Lovely responses everyone. I do listen to Waypoint, and yeah, that's a different dynamic and vibe. I really need to get into FatT though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63249ac2ced45
deactivated-63249ac2ced45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always down to express some Austin love. Don’t think he’ll come back into games Media full time. But I would loooove to have him on as a guest here more often.

If you’re jonesing for some more of his podcast work. Besides Waypoint Radio and friends at the table, he guests on three moves ahead too, which is a rad strategy game podcast.

Maybe GB could hire him for a feature? Maybe when KSP2 comes out? One can dream.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Shaanyboi

Austin is fantastic, but he's doing work at Waypoint/Vice Games is probably a lot more creatively freeing and in-line with his beliefs, plus getting to focus his time on Friends at the Table. Not that I doubt he enjoys being here from time to time, but something like Waypoint Radio allows him to be a lot more politically vocal, with co-hosts who are happy to engage on a similar level.

Funguy2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin is fantastic, but Dan coming back would be super fantastic.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

If you had cake everyday, it wouldn't feel unique reviews. Austin is a top notch visitor, in part because his appearances are occasions. https://shit.ass.scam.link/

Loool at scammers hijacking this beautiful thread.

Love Austin and Waypoint. If he ever came back to GB tho.... I would probably cry with joy. Abby and Austin already displayed awesome chemistry in the few appearences they had together so having them regularly together would be a dream podcast.

I wonder what a Rob Zacny + Alex Navarro colab would look like. Maybe a Civ stream.

Avatar image for absoluteunit207
AbsoluteUnit207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AbsoluteUnit207

I love any time Austin comes around. Dude just seems like the chillest and is very well spoken and funny.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'm glad I still get him through Waypoint Radio, but yes he can certainly come by and guest on stuff anytime he likes.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Any kind of fool could see. There was something, in everything about him...

leonadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see him coming back officially, but would love it if he was regularly in the "rotating chair" for the beastcast

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone wants more Austin – he was recently on the Dialogue Box Podcast with Jeff Green. He talks pretty openly about his early days in the games industry, and also his time at Giant Bomb; it's a very good listen.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie, some of my favorite times on here were in 2015 when he was on the east coast. I think he just meshed well with everyone here. Never could get into his waypoint stuff though

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little behind on podcasts since I don't have a commute right now. Where did Austin most recently appear?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jeffgoldblum

The patreon for Austin's Actual Play RPG podcast Friends at the Table does pretty well and he has worked out a deal as a contributor for Vice Gaming post Waypoint's absorption. My hunch is that Austin has found a way to financially support himself while focusing more on the things that matter to him like his podcast. I don't think we'll be seeing him back in a job like the one he had at GB for a while at least, as much as I would LOVE to see it. By the way, if you're looking for more Austin content, the aforementioned Friends at the Table is a masterwork in the actual play genre, probably the best out there, definitely a more serious tone than something like TAZ or Dimension 20, and I can't recommend it enough. It's either my first or second favorite podcast, in competition with Blank Check.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bybeach

Austin is going to do Austin, I think that is something I learned about him. I felt his stay at GB was a little short, but hey. Nor do I buy into all his this and that's.

But he can come back and say hello anytime! Nor do I handle the hiring for GBE (or remotely anything besides being a member) I really like listening to the guy, he is intelligent, and his sense of humor clicks.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Retris  Online

@oursin_360:Not sure if this might make a difference for you, but I've found Waypoint Radio much better now that it has had way less Patrick and much more Gita. And I like Patrick, but somehow it just has felt way more relaxed without him around, I guess? Plus, it has been more relaxed after Austin "quit", as the power dynamics within the pod shifted noticeably.

@jeffgoldblum: I feel like that's selling the actual play genre real short. Although you can't beat Jack de Quidt's music. That dude is the real star of Friends at the Table, hands down.