Bad licensed games quietly made a comeback and they're worse than they ever were

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

For awhile there was discussion about how bad licensed games sort of died off or at least moved to mobile during the 7th generation, and some people said they even missed them. Now of course licensed games never went away entirely, but they mostly seemed to be higher budget and more ambitious affairs, like the Batman Arkham games or Beatles Rockband. And of course there were still occasional THQ style trash games, just not at the volume there used to be.

Well that volume seems to have returned. I started noticing it a few years ago, with games like the Hotel Transylvania titles and that Nickelodeon Kart Racer game, but it's been picking up steam, to the point where this week there were three licensed releases, only one of which (Transformers) looks like it could be any good at all.

The thing is, not only do these games look bad but they look unbelievably cheap. Say what you want about PS1 era licensed games like A Bug's Life or The Grinch, but they generally attempted to match the style and production values of the time, with varying degrees of success. These all look like cheap PS3 games, at best, and appear to have PS1 era game play. They aren't interesting in the way some of those older games were, they just seem cheap, except they cost $30-40. And they're far from alone. There's that King Kong game coming out soon, and more Paw Patrol games than you can shake a stick at. There have been a couple Fast & Furious cash grabs. The list goes on.

I don't know who is buying these. Kids I guess? Grandma's? But while I do have nostalgia for some of the licensed games of my youth, those were often at least interesting even if they were bad. They often attempted something but didn't have the budget or skill to achieve it. These seem like they're probably a lot less broken but also a lot less interesting. I played the Ice Age 3D platformer from 2019, and that one was mildly interesting just because of its bonkers story and very odd aesthetic choices, but I also bought the first Nickelodeon Kart Racer for $4, and that one is pretty competent from a technical perspective but totally soulless. I think they're doing a 4th one soon, as well as a second version of the Smash Clone.

Game Mill and a few other companies are churning this stuff out, but unlike THQ they've learned the lesson from mobile of "play it safe, don't do anything ambitious, just hit the bare minimum and shove it out to shelves." It feels sad in a way. When I was a kid we all had our licensed games that we'd defend for whatever reason even if a lot of them were bad, just because they did something weird or interesting. Cool Spot. The Cheetos games. Pepsi Man. None of these were great but they weren't much worse than other bad games. I remember ind of liking Avoid the Noid. And there's a whole cottage industry of Youtubers and other video creators dragging this stuff out of obscurity to gawk at it.

I feel like the modern versions won't get nearly as much attention and the kids who receive it will barely remember it. Even as a notable weirdo who played Balan Wonderworld I can't bring myself to have more than a passing interest when it gets really really cheap.

I am, however, kind of curious about the economics and business model here. I'm interested in how a lot of companies make money in the vast glut of games we have these days. Backwards compatibility is fantastic but it also means that all the platforms have many thousands of games available and nobody has played them all. Given 10 years or more of games at our fingertips who is choosing to play that Survivor game?

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think I found a bot in the wild hahaha

@bigsocrates:

It sounds like you're expressing disappointment with the quality and presentation of certain contemporary licensed video games. It's not uncommon for licensed games to receive mixed reviews due to various factors, including development constraints, timeframes, and differing priorities between licensors and developers.

Many licensed games do face challenges in trying to capture the essence and appeal of their source material, especially when working with established franchises. It can be frustrating when they don't meet the expectations set by the original content.

If you're finding that these newer licensed games aren't meeting your preferences, you might want to explore other genres or titles that align better with your interests. There are a wide variety of games available across different platforms, each offering unique experiences and styles.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Thanks for sharing this...you know, as I was looking at that dreadfully cheap looking (yet overpriced) Robocop game I wondered "sure seems like these bad and expensive licensed games are popping up more and more." Looks like it wasn't a bad vibe. I don't really have much to offer in addition, just bummed out that we are marching down this path again.

Tangentially, I was recently thinking about how licensed shit has choked the table top gaming space as well. There is just a glut of it, and I haven't played it all, but what I have played is at best usually fine but also horribly overpriced OR underdelivered on. Just a small little licensed product rant I'm slapping onto your thread.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Honestly the Robocop game doesn't look nearly as bad. I mean you're not wrong that it looks cheap and overpriced but it looks like they tried to make an interesting game, they just didn't have the skill or budget. I would buy that thing for a dollar, or even 15!

But yeah licensed games of all kinds just seem to be roaring back for whatever reason. As I said I would love to understand the economics of it. Do these games sell at all?

Sorry to hear about the board game space. It has seemed so much purer than the video game space because it's not as expensive to create board games, but I guess the licensed monster hunts wherever there is money to be made.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe they named the company Game Mill.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates

Everyone losing their mind over the Kong game just hasn't been paying attention. It doesn't even look that bad compared to a lot of other licensed crap. That Grinch game looks WAY worse. The only reason that Kong is getting as much attention as it is is that adults care about the Kong license and they don't really care about the Grinch license. Honestly, I would probably play the Kong game if I could get it on PS+ Premium or for like $6. It looks like some really stupid fun. But then again I was literally playing the Bloodrayne remaster this morning and having a decent time, so I may be diqualified.

Loading Video...
Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode:Counterpoint: The Robocop game's demo is legitimate Game of the Year material. The writing is just so top notch and the jank actually fits Robocop as a franchise. Besides, it's not even that janky compared to AAA games that come out nowadays. If you're not going to try the demo, at least listen to Remap Radio's segment on it, because they go over why the game is so good at capturing the social satire and comedy of Robocop.

@bigsocrates: I think the reason people are talking about the Kong game is literally that one tweet calling the game a scam that went viral. Heck, the first tweets about the game were not dunking on the game, but dunking on the person who made that tweet for having such a ludicrous, overblown response to the existence of a bad licensed game.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethMode

@retris: I have nothing against the game, haha...I want every game to be good. It just looked kind of chintzy to me, and it was put out by the same cats that did Gollum, so I was admittedly a little suspect. I don't have much affinity for Robocop, but if it is as good as you say, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Weirdly, the game (series) I would compare it to is the Yakuza games. While in the main mode of gameplay they are very different (Yakuza being a brawler or more recently jrpg, while Robocop is an ultraviolent FPS), the actual pacing and writing are kind of similar, in that you'll have these side missions that verge on completely absurd in their writing but still managing to be snappy.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigsocrates

This week in additional to Robocop we got Bratz Flaunt Your Fashion Complete edition and Dreamworks Trolls Remix Rescue. Also Smurfs 2: The Prisoner of the Green Stone Jumanji Wild Adventures and Dreamworks All Star Kart Racing.

Robocop has gotten mixed reactions but doesn't appear to be a true crappy licensed game, and GameMill's last Nickelodeon Kart Racer seemed like it was okay so maybe these won't all be staight garbage, but 5 licensed games in one week is pretty strong evidence that LICENED GAMES ARE BACK BABY!

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This week in additional to Robocop we got Bratz Flaunt Your Fashion Complete edition and Dreamwors Trolls Remix Rescue.

I used to work in a toy-store for a bit and now I have a daughter who is very into dolls, so this part shocked me because I haven't seen a Bratz doll in something like 10 years. That can't have been an expensive license to get, it just can't!

As for "old" licensed games that tried to punch above their weight, I have a soft spot for Underworld: The Eternal War. It had all the production value of something that would fall out of a box of cereal (I also think I bought it for between the equivalent of $15-20), but you had tons of enemies and allies on screen running around completing objectives like some sort of RTS and it's a pretty early Twin-stick Shooter, so I always thought it felt pretty cool. Like if Dynasty Warriors had a top-down camera and was a twin-stick shooter and co-op was a buggy unplayable mess that prevented you from reloading your guns... Oh, also you could increase your monster-powers between levels. Like you said, some of them were kinda interesting.

See also Battleship

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cozmicaztaway: HOW DARE YOU? BRATZ HAS NEVER BEEN MORE RELEVANT!

Don't apologize to me for your insolence. Apologize to Bratz, the extremely relevant franchise!

A lot of those PS1/PS2 licensed games took a real shot at trying to be something. Yes there was still an absolute ton of trash but even outside of the "A" tier games there were still some very good titles, like the beloved Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom game. Part of it is probably that game budgets were smaller so even a small and not very well funded team could make a good game if the project was managed right and the people were skilled and inspired. Part of it was that all games were packaged goods so you at least needed decent screenshots for the back of the box.

And some of the smaller licensed games coming out today like Robocop and that Terminator game from a couple years ago are okay (And of course some big licensed games like Spider-Man 2 are well above okay) but the bottom of the barrel seems lower than ever.