Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

System Shock 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 11, 1999

Developed by Looking Glass Studios and released in 1999, this cyberpunk first-person shooter with RPG elements established new standards for storytelling and gameplay.

Bask in the glory!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By audiosnow

http://www.gog.com/

They were serious. I don't know how they did it, but they did.

You can now legally obtain the game for which I grossly overpaid on eBay.

Buy it. Ten United States dollars.

But this really isn't going to incite discussion, so let me make it a little helpful instead:

Step 1: Buy the game.

Step 2: Download SS2 Mod Manager.

Step 3: Download the Shock Texture Upgrade Pack. SHTUP, for short.

Step 4: Download the Rebirth Hi-Poly Model Pack. No nickname.

Step 5: Download the Shock Music Update. SHMUP, for short.

The following steps are optional, but strongly suggested.

Step 6: Download Vert's Hi-Res Space Textures. They be pretty.

Step 7: Download ACC's "Four Hundred" texture pack. Those environments look shiny.

The following steps are optional.

Step 8: Download Vert's System Shock 2 Goo textures. Vert: making goo gooier since... a while ago.

Step 9: Download the Tacticool Weapon Replacement Pack. The slide on the pistol actually moves!

Now, play the game, keeping in mind that other people should never hype anything for anyone else ever.

Tell you what, System Shock 2 is pretty good. I mean, it's decent.

OK, you're done? Now listen to this.

http://gambit.mit.edu/podcasts/lgs/podcast5_kevin_levine.mp3

Better yet, just listen to the whole series. It's only ten episodes, and it's all about the people who made it so the games you're playing now are not just bearable, but actually pretty good.

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Cheers!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks! I've bookmarked this for when I get around to playing the game, hopefully that's soon.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: Thanks for the heads-up; I actually posted this while waiting for my GOG copy to download (which was about two seconds after I heard it was released, which was three hours after I reinstalled my own boxed copy). I'll have to double-check the reliability of some of that thread, though, because I'm currently using the 2.4 patch along with every mod I listed above on my CD-ROM install, so I know for a fact that Mod Manager is compatible with NewDark.

Mod Manager is also compatible with Four Hundred and Vert's space textures, again, with NewDark patch on a CD install since I haven't tried any mods with my GOG copy. The incompatibilities lie between SHTUP, ADaoB, and Vert's Biomatter texture.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've got an old-ass CRT monitor in my closet. I should probably play System Shock 2 on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.