Be a Man: Video Games Aren't Art; Video Games Are Education

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Edited By Serker

If what saves the world is a generation of men with an overactive imagination, we'll have video games to thank.

It's no coincidence that famous museums are filled to the brim with paintings by men. Lately I see past artists as test takers who didn't have the right study guide. They were so concerned with selling their work and ruling the world they never truly focused on what they were doing, instead masking their inadequacies with gimmicks. Today we have the means to reach our full potential as artists, and fathers, with video games.

Video games aren't artwork, if they were, it would come naturally to everyone in childhood. Playing games, however, is something we're born knowing how to do. Playing games and creating artwork. The reason we are capable of these things is what's so incredible, because there are certain types of "work" that can be done without expending any energy whatsoever. Making games, and making GOOD games and stories, requires the utmost focus and energy. This is something men are simply not capable of, because all our focus is elsewhere. Hence Call of Duty 10.

Video games teach us to have a vivid imagination, and art is the application of that imagination, so let's imagine a world that's only a tiny bit different than the one we live in now. Imagine a world where every man's focus is on self-preservation. He abstains from sex not because he has a desire for superiority, quite the opposite, because he is afraid of the repercussions. He knows that the only reason he isn't racist is because his struggle is one that is universal ( albeit unique to him) and when he meets another man there is a connection between them that dissolves all bad feelings. There is no discrimination in the work force, because every man is employed with the same task, to protect his children from harm. A woman's role is a dominant one, because without her initiative a man will preserve himself until death, and without an unstoppable force, the immovable object would bring about the death of the species. The result of the two meeting, however, is always the same thing: a new life.

Imagine a world where men's only responsibility growing up is to practice creation, and play games, the only difference between childhood and adulthood becoming that now it has a purpose. In this world women control the work force, not discriminating against someone because they are a different cog in the same machine. Billionaires don't exist. Diplomacy is the only way problems are resolved. There are no conspiracies because every bit of knowledge is made public. The world has become completely childproofed. Populations are regulated, because there is an understanding that the relationship between a man and woman does not require repetition. Food is abundant. Guilt is nonexistent. Every child has a father.

Now how would video games teach us how to imagine such a world? Simple. By playing them. And by practicing creation, in the event that one day you might be called upon to create. Playing games teaches us what we want it to teach us. It could teach us how to dominate someone else, control their every move, or it could teach us to be controlled, slaves to whatever we're told to do and happy doing it. It could teach us violence, or it could teach us to accept that death is a natural occurence, and that death is a natural part of creation that brings about no guilt.

All you have to do to imagine this is to keep playing, keep educating yourself, keep practicing, and keep an open mind, because one day you might find yourself in this world, and realize you've been there the whole time.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#1  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I disagree. Top to bottom pretty much.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By joshwent

@serker said:

Imagine a world where men's only responsibility growing up is to practice creation, and play games, the only difference between childhood and adulthood becoming that now it has a purpose. In this world women control the work force, not discriminating against someone because they are a different cog in the same machine. Billionaires don't exist. Diplomacy is the only way problems are resolved. There are no conspiracies because every bit of knowledge is made public. The world has become completely childproofed. Populations are regulated, because there is an understanding that the relationship between a man and woman does not require repetition. Food is abundant. Guilt is nonexistent. Every child has a father.

Wait, is this your view of some kind of Utopia, because all I see a totalitarian nightmare. With video games.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@serker: Is this a parody? This might be a parody.

If it's not, well, I suppose I appreciate the upbeat attitude, but you've got a weird idea of art if you don't think painting or drawing or sculpture doesn't take crazy dedication, skill, and focus. And it's not like filmmaking comes to you in the womb but few people would call it anything besides art. Also, your ideas about gender make my head spin. I'm not even touching anything else.

All in all, I think your full of it, but I guess positive nonsense is preferable to normal internet bile nonsense?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Video games aren't artwork, if they were, it would come naturally to everyone in childhood.

What?

He abstains from sex not because he has a desire for superiority, quite the opposite, because he is afraid of the repercussions.

What?

In this world women control the work force, not discriminating against someone because they are a different cog in the same machine.

WHAT!?

Is this another one of those times where someone is talking about a new movement in art and I'm utterly confused because I've never heard of it? Or is this just pretentious and terrible?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vuud

I don't think videogames are art; they can be artistic, but they're more like infotainment.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games aren't artwork, if they were, it would come naturally to everyone in childhood.

What?

He abstains from sex not because he has a desire for superiority, quite the opposite, because he is afraid of the repercussions.

What?

In this world women control the work force, not discriminating against someone because they are a different cog in the same machine.

WHAT!?

Is this another one of those times where someone is talking about a new movement in art and I'm utterly confused because I've never heard of it? Or is this just pretentious and terrible?

Be fair, those are hardly mutually exclusive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Despite fear of being kicked into a pit, I nonetheless must declare this to be madness.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

What?

What?

WHAT!?

Be fair, those are hardly mutually exclusive.

Well, yes, but last time something like this was posted, it was just a terribly-worded regurgitation of some new-age art philosophy about how the art is in the creation and not in the end product. Or some such bollocks. At least that started to make sense, though.

Despite fear of being kicked into a pit, I nonetheless must declare this to be madness.

They'll have to kick me in with you, this shit is crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

After looking over a couple of your recent posts I have to come a realization.

Dude, you are trying way too hard.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

You are seriously overthinking the importance of video games in our lives.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TowerSixteen

@believer258: That other one was nonsense too if better-thought-out-at-core and more-subject-to-opinion nonsense. This is just the pure, uncut stuff.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

No Caption Provided

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

I remember when I took philosophy 101 too.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Gross.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol thank you guys for reading :)

its nothing if not entertaining to read at least

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games like 'Gone Home' is a prime example of how the format isn't ready to be called "Art" yet.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: actually i've been wanting to play that just don't have a computer that'll run it. I just wish developers could make the mundane impactful without having a pervading sense of foreboding added in. I'm sure a healthy budgeted game could coax a powerful response out of people with everday activities that isn't spooky like Gone Home or a thriller like Heavy Rain.

I haven't played either of those but I've followed GB's coverage of them so that's what I've gathered about both

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hehe, I often say that but I keep getting inspired by video games. I have two degrees in graphic design an animation, so I feel confident in knowing what is art. So i play a glitchy game and just make the character dance in the corner like a goofball.

But I still get inspired by the amount of designs and art I see in games, which would be no different then flipping channels on tv and seeing just colorful images. I go to meuseums often, and see just exhibits on just sketches by Pablo Picasso, just sketches not finished work. And it just the same Bull on charcoal on newsprint for about 8 rooms worth, that made me think a lot about how all those little sketches build into something larger.

It's not exactly that ONE THING DEFINES ART, but actually little things we can enjoy and appreciate. And like video games can be linear, buggy, power fantasies with no variety, but I can't help but want to draw something after a while.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nekroskop

@serker: The only spooky thing about 'Gone Home' is how much praise it gets and how much it costs.

It'll probably make top 10 since most of the developers who worked on it are ex-games journalists with connections. Just take one look at Polygon's articles on Gone Home. They were hyping it as the second coming of Christ months before it came out. I get that you should help out your friends, but going that far in a profession that requires journalistic integrity is just sickening and wrong.

The game deserves 6/10 on a 2010 scale. You know, before The Princess of Lies made that kickstarter.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

@serker: The only spooky thing about 'Gone Home' is how much praise it gets and how much it costs.

It'll probably make top 10 since most of the developers who worked on it are ex-games journalists with connections. Just take one look at Polygon's articles on Gone Home. They were hyping it as the second coming of Christ months before it came out. I get that you should help out your friends, but going that far in a profession that requires journalistic integrity is just sickening and wrong.

The game deserves 6/10 on a 2010 scale. You know, before The Princess of Lies made that kickstarter.

Pretty sure you are mistaken, my man. They are mostly former 2K Marin employees, not media types. Maybe you're confusing them with Greg Kasavin and Supergiant games?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evanbower: No. Super Giant Games actually made a game, and a damn good one at that. I like GB's policy of not reviewing games where people they know are involved. That's how it should be done.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: They know a lot of people, the Super Giant Games example is because they were giving a ton of special coverage to the behind the scenes of that game in the "Building the Bastion" videos. Not that I like Gone Home, particularly, but if GB didn't review games made at least partially by people they knew I think they'd end up with a real thin list pretty quick.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@nekroskop: which reminds me how many awards did Tomb Raider get after Geoff Keighley did that counting down video game ipad thing for it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Between this and your previous post about women, I am very concerned with your understanding of gender and... well pretty much everything involving reality.

The gender thing kind of stuck out to me because it's probably the most glaringly offensive (maybe 'cause I've struggled with gender things in the past).

I understand what you're trying to say, man (at least I think I do), but your writing comes across as some kind of radical stance formed by somebody who isn't all that familiar with what they're talking about. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the way you express your views feels way too satisfied with itself, and is more concerned with making some kind of mindblowing point than it is with creating an open and healthy discussion. I dunno, maybe I'm just not the type of person your writing is targeting.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the stuff you write in your diary and never let anyone read, apart from your older, wiser self who then says "im glad nobody ever read this"

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wat

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes: im familiar with being a guy :/ as familiar as im going to be. as far as my opinion about women, i just think women value their potential, and men don't... at least not immediately. Video games and art help them to value themselves. I wouldn't consider them the same thing though. I think both need to be done an equal amount, so in that way they may be similar but I don't think we need one more than the other or that one IS the other. You usually don't see people going around claiming art IS games...

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#29  Edited By audioBusting

Uhh can you try making more sense next time? Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well, at least you're yourself!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@serker: I was referring more to the concept of gender identity, which is a lot more abstract than just men and women, or just guys and girls, or just dudes and chicks. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, or that I was personally offended or insulted, I was just concerned that your perception of gender might inspire a negative response. I think it's the fact that you're introducing these weird gender roles and propagating gender binaries that makes it difficult for me to understand where you're coming from.

I hope I didn't come across as saying you should stop writing or forming opinions, because I don't believe anyone should be told that. It's just, as I said earlier, I don't think your writing is for somebody like me.

In regards to video games as art, however, I don't think video games=art, but I do believe there is a relationship. That games can be a form of art, but isn't necessarily rigidly defined by the claims that it is art.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHumanDove

Shouldn't this be for your facebook friends?