Best Random Purchase?

• 73 results
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I like buying bundle deals of games, or whenever a game becomes super cheap I tend to try and get it. Today, The Humble Bundle had a new special from a company that I never heard of before today, even though I'm pretty sure they are the company that was behind System Shock 2. But on that bundle had 2 FMV games, 7th Guest and The 11th hour. Both games I tried playing and I had a smile on my face the whole time.

So my question, what is you're best or favorite random purchase that you made?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Vagrant Story, turns out its the best game ever made.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Dear Esther. I saw it on sale on Steam for around $7. That year it ended up being my fourth favorite game of the year.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

After browsing through my purchased collection I'd say it'd be either Lumines Puzzle Fusion or FFXII. As far as free stuff that came with PS+ I'd say Awesomenauts was the best surprise.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CaLe

Syphon Filter back in the olden times.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By vocalcannibal

I bought Persona 4 when my brother and I finally had enough money to get a PS2 (in early 2009, no less), and only because I liked the box. I didn't have the slightest clue what I was getting into.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

Probably Descent, Koudelka, Dark Reign or Independence War. Maybe the original Age of Wonders? Hard to remember exactly how random some of those purchases long ago were, but I'm pretty sure I had never heard of the first four I listed before I picked them up.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I bought Spiderman for the N64 back in 2000 on a whim, just got my paycheck for my paper route and wanted a new game. Best spiderman game and have extremely fond memories of it (don't go back and play it...its rough and super short). This is the only game I can think of where I knew nothing about it and bought it, where there are other times I've heard people, friends, GB crew talk about a game (just talk about it) and I went and bought it because it sounded like my thing. I remember on the school bus the kids talking about Ocarina of Time (which I had never heard of) and I got my sister to drive me to the local game store to buy it after school because it sounded super cool, and its a fucking fantastic game. Another example would be Darksiders where Patrick was talking about it in early 2012 and I bought it after all the praise he was giving it, never heard of it until he started talking about it.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought TimeShift for the 360 out of a bargain bin. Boring game by default, but it had a glitch that let you set a real high move speed and jump height which made it a ton of fun.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Disgaea on the PS2. I was fairly lukewarm on FF Tactics, but for some reason or another, I gave this game a shot. I immediately spent the next week playing the game 8+ hours a day. To this day, I own the game on PS2, PSP, and DS.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The first Wargame: European Escalation.

I looked at the pictures, said what the hell, and ended up loving it. Over three games now I've put hundreds of hours into the franchise.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

Probably in those zany days of 1995, in which I said to myself "Hey, this 'Rise Of The Triad' thing looks fun."

Edit: Holy shit, that Humble Bundle is fantastic! Why must I be broke this week!?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@driam said:

Bought TimeShift for the 360 out of a bargain bin. Boring game by default, but it had a glitch that let you set a real high move speed and jump height which made it a ton of fun.

I had a lot of fun with Timeshift!

I bought SMT Nocturne on a whim.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By pyromagnestir

My mother picked up Goldeneye for me and my brother on a whim. I liked Bond movies. That's probably why she did it.

She also picked up WCW/NWO Revenge, for some reason. I wasn't even into wrestling at the time.

Those both turned out to be great choices. Although Revenge did end up making me get back into wrestling, so...

Most games I've picked up for myself have been games I'd already at least heard of and/or had been recommended to me. A couple times people gave me games I hadn't heard of, but I can't remember ever playing one and getting into it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Remember Me. All I knew about it was people liked the music, it was put out to little fanfare and recieved middling reviews, and there was some weird make-your-own-combo system. I was expecting something along the lines of Singularity. A decent enough gimmicky experience, but largely forgettable.

Ended up loving everything about it.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember buying Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on a whim, back when 50% of the games I got were bad.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#17 sgtsphynx  Moderator  Online

Vagrant Story, Silent Hill, and Lufia II were all random purchases for me, and I love all three of those games.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Levius

I bought Persona 2 only because it was part of a bundle with P3P. I had a blast with the game, it one of those rare games that makes you forgive all of its flaws because of the great things it does. That game truly has heart.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muramasa The Demon Blade for the Vita. I needed a Vita game round last December for travel purposes, ended up being my favorite thing I played last year

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I picked up Persona 3 portable back in 2010. I'd never heard of it and was just looking for a new Jrpg to play. I obsessively played that game for 3 weeks straight.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first need for speed underground back when it came out.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Suikoden II because I heard vaguely good things about it on the internet and saw a magazine ad or two. Didn't expect much, but it turned out to be one of my favorite RPGs ever.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ervonymous

I grabbed Trapt out of a bargain bin to tide me over an especially boring weekend, it turned out pretty good and weird.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zoomer the robot dog... even though he stopped working after about a month :(

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Breath of Fire 3 when I was like 9.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Vextroid

My dad let me pick out a game to buy one time when I was 9. Ended up being both the best and worst random purchase. It was a double pack containing Lemmings 3D (worst piece of shit ever) and Kula World which is the best puzzle/platformer on the Playstation and possibly of all time.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I remember buying Gain Ground on Megadrive from a bargain bin many, many years ago and loving it as a coop game to play with friends.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Jet Set Radio. I bought it from an import shop in Paris a few day after its Japanese release. At the time I just thought the jacket was cool. It just became one of my favorite games and it still is even if I prefer Jet Set Radio Future now because no time constraint during the missions.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Once bought toilet paper at the market unsure if i needed it or not. Probably the best random purchase I made that day cause I was down to half a role after a big quesadilla meal.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bluefish

I was in no way a gamer, just a dumb kid who liked games. Me and my mum went to a store for the first (and only) time to buy a game and I saw one with a cool cover.

It was Starcraft.

I was happy with my choice.

@theht Really? Remember Me? Myself and two friends had the EXACT same experience: we played a little over two hours are felt totally disinterested, never to play more. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Psychonauts from a bargain bin in EB Games without knowing anything about it at all. Turns out it's fantastic.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By theacidskull

Lords of shadow - Caught my attention due to it's cool box art, then when I checked out the contents of the box itself, it intrigued me even more. It ended up being one of my favorite games.

Prototype- Thought it was a zombie game, and it kinda was, only better.

oh and ,Mafia II

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say buying Bound by flame was good for me.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital Devil Saga 2. I bought it because the boxart looked rad and I was into JRPGs. Because of that one game, I ended up buying the first one, and then Nocturne. And then I started preordering the rest of the SMT games that will come later. Glad that I accidentally stumbled upon DDS2.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hans_maulwurf

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines. Had no interest in vampires or rpgs, I just wanted to play a source engine game, and that was not only the cheapest (10 euros), but pretty much the only option back then as my internet was way to slow to use steam and play css or hl2. It is still to this day one of my all time favorite games and the first rpg I played to completion.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By jadegl

Bioshock. I purchased it at a local game store for 35 dollars and it had only come out a few weeks or only maybe a month before that. I wasn't into following game news at the same time, so I really didn't know all that much about it. I think at that point in my life I was playing City of Heroes, Dynasty Warriors, and retro remakes on my GBA. I was a lapsed game enthusiast really. Well, my husband and I pick the game up off the shelf, he had heard good things about it, so we decide to buy it. Best 35 dollars I have spent in a long time. I actually think it may have gotten me back into games and following game news.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Demon's Souls. I knew very little about it besides it being a dark fantasy game and that had a very punishing difficulty. I imported the damn thing from the US for £52, which is very unlike me... It's almost as if the game was calling to me or something. Anywhoo, it's Demon's Souls, so... undoubtedly the best uninformed video game purchase of my life.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

God of War 1.

It came bundled with the PS2 when I bought it, and I knew nothing about the game. It ended up being my favorite series of that generation...

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In this day and age, I find it way harder to stumble across hidden gems like in the days of yore. Walking into a store, looking at some blurry screenshots and a blurb on the back of a box? Or even worse, just buying a game based on cool cover art? Not gonna happen if you value your money.

With that said, I'd agree with the other posters in the thread about stuff being included in indie bundles being the closest to this long lost phenomenon. I think I only ended up buying/playing Bastion once it had been included in a Humble Bundle, and that game is rad. Once you remove the barriers of cost/risk, stumbling across stuff is way easier. It's why I was able to rent Alpha Protocol from Goozex back when that was a thing, and I ended up REALLY digging Alpha Protocol.

I can think of way more random games I've bought that ended up being terrible.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By BBAlpert

Ghooooost Maaaaster!!

Spooky specters all up in this humpty bumpty
Spooky specters all up in this humpty bumpty

*edit: Actually, I have a much better example of "randomly chosen game that turned out to be awesome". When I first got my SNES, I foolishly bought a game that required a Super Scope (which I didn't have). My Dad took me back to Best Buy to return/exchange it, and my decision ended up being "Hmm... what to get, what to get... This 'Super Metroid' game looks like it could be fun, I'll give that a shot!"

supadupatroopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last one for me was Hard Reset/Speedrunners, bought both together after eyeing them for a while, love the feeling of both, especially Hard Reset's Theme, oldest one iirc was Total Annihilation back when I was a wee lad, I still hum The March Unto Death to this day randomly...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

That first fire emblem game for GBA was a pretty random, uninformed purchase for a young me. And now I've gone as far as to play the japan-only stuff.

To get more recent, I bought blackguards on a whim and it seems pretty awesome thus far.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Final Fantasy X without a doubt. Had no idea what the game was, I only vaguely remembered a TV commercial and that it was exclusive for PS2. I just got my PS2 and already owned a GameCube. Figured I needed some exclusives. To this day, one of my favorite games.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Corevi

Gotcha Force hands down. Such a great game that almost no one played. The music is amazing as well.

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#47 fisk0  Moderator

@driam said:

I had a lot of fun with Timeshift!

I bought SMT Nocturne on a whim.

Yup, I liked Timeshift way more than Singularity, which was pretty damn similar. I still think Timeshift had some of the best looking rain of the last generation.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC IV. I picked as a afterthought. It was the best next gen release day game by far.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thatdutchguy

Shenmue 2 for the Xbox and Total Annihilation for PC.

Damn good games, Delicious.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZolRoyce

@thatdutchguy said:

Total Annihilation for PC.

My man! I got that in a misc game bundle way back in the day without knowing about it either and then lost just daaaays to that game, it was so good.

I also picked up Carnivores Dinosaur Hunter 1 and 2 back when I was a kid, it was a game with dinosaurs and guns and I was like 13 or something so I saw the box and went "YES" and man those were some fun games. I'm not much into hunting games but that was was such a 'hunt or be hunted' type of experience, have to nail the t-rex in the eyeball to kill it in those games, it was crazy, I loved them.