Better soundtrack: XCOM or Dishonored?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

I've got enough money for either game and both look friggen fantastic. I'm leaning towards Dishonored but it's still a toss up. So I'm wondering, what do you guys think of the soundtracks to both games?

For what it's worth, I'll probably get to both games by the end of the year, but trying to figure out which one to play first (on my PS3).

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Are you trying to pick one based on their soundtrack?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Double Dragon Neon is the answer

Edit: Also who the hell would know that right now?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RainVillain

@SomeDeliCook: Yeah. Everything about both games sound amazing and it's basically a coin toss by this point, so might as well make it a musical coin-toss. There are few games I truly love that don't have fantastic soundtrack.. so sometimes the music is telling of my overall appreciation for a game.

@Fredchuckdave: Yes! love the DDN soundtrack! Sometimes they release the soundtracks early. Based on watching vids, XCOM's pulsing synth style I'm not super crazy about (see: Deus Ex, Mass Effect, uh, older XCOMs), but the Dishonored soundtrack is apparently by Daniel Licht, who does the amazing Dexter score.. awesome!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@RainVillain: I don't understand what about these games could possibly make them "equally amazing" in your gameplay experience of them. What about a turn based strategy game has anything whatsoever to do with a first person level based exploration game? Now you could say X Com takes place in the "Bro" verse, but miraculously Dishonored doesn't despite being an FPS. These are two completely incomparable games in every imaginable way except for release date. Do you want to play a slow paced strategy game or a moderately paced action game, or both, or neither? Soundtrack?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@RainVillain said:

@SomeDeliCook: Yeah. Everything about both games sound amazing and it's basically a coin toss by this point, so might as well make it a musical coin-toss. There are few games I truly love that don't have fantastic soundtrack.. so sometimes the music is telling of my overall appreciation for a game.

Honestly I don't think either will have a very memorable soundtrack. I'd say XCom will probably have more music in general because I believe music plays in the background when your in a mission while no music plays when your running around in Dishonored.

I think what you should look at instead is how much time are you willing to spend at once. XCom's missions seem to last a pretty huge time, around 20-40 minutes, and I think its a good idea to not save in the middle of one because you load it up not knowing how everything was left off. Dishonored seems like you can play it in shorter bursts making it easier to come back to but XCom is most likely the longer lasting game.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RainVillain

@Fredchuckdave: What?! Who said anything about them being similar? Just because I think two things look fantastic doesn't mean I think they are the same. I think cats and the Beatles are friggen fantastic.. even if they are different.

And to your actual question: yeah! I want to play both those types of games! I told you, I'm really sold on both!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By BisonHero

Couldn't this thread have waited like 48 hours so that people (other than reviewers) could have conceivably spent any time playing both games?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@RainVillain: The point is its a matter of taste, but it isn't a small amount of taste difference like CoD vs Battlefield or what have you; just make a decision; or alternatively wait like a month and the price of one or both will tank to $30-40 (or less for PC); you'll probably get more time value out of X-Com by nature of it being a randomly generated turn based strategy game, but that doesn't mean it will actually be a better game. Plus maybe your time is more valuable so you only have a few hours a week to play a game, then I'd say go with Dishonored; but since X-Com is turn based you can take as long as you want with no penalty. I know of some people who take months to complete Civilization campaigns.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlfredCapone

@Fredchuckdave said:

Edit: Also who the hell would know that right now?

soapmactavish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By soapmactavish

dishonored has the better soundtrack in my opinion (played both games)

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Terramagi

or alternatively wait like a month and the price of one or both will tank to $30-40 (or less for PC)

Not a goddamn prayer. Bethesda never puts their published games on sale. Skyrim is still 60 dollars a year later. Firaxis is the exact same way.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Haven't played Dishonored, but XCOM really has a fantastic soundtrack. It's not something that often impresses me in games nowadays - even with Bastion, I didn't really come to appreciate the music until after I had completed the game - but earlier today with XCOM I was surprised to find myself sitting there thinking 'man, this music is great'. Of course you have to temper your expectations with the knowledge that this is great music for a cheesy sci-fi setting with a B-movie flavour, so the music is grandiose and simplistic. But nevertheless it is great at setting the mood.

atomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atomics

XCOM had a great soundtrack, but Dishonored takes it music-wise for that ending theme song. Still can't get it out of my head.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By helios1337

I like the music in XCOM, but it feels like the b-side of the Deus Ex:HR soundtrack. I realize it's the same composer, but it should still have its own sound.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By big_jon

XCOM's music is great.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates

I have never enjoyed XCOM's music and grew to playing it while listening to podcasts. Dishonored's score is pretty great, though. I thought I read somewhere that was a Jesper Kyd joint, but I guess that was wrong.