Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

Saw this article on the news today check it out 

Link 

No Caption Provided

A soldier blinded by a grenade in Iraq has had his life transformed by ground-breaking technology that enables him to 'see' with his tongue.

Lance Corporal Craig Lundberg, 24, from Walton, Liverpool, lost his sight while serving in Bascra in 2007.

Today he revealed he can identify shapes, walk around unaided and even read thanks to a pioneering device.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1258115/Blind-soldier-tongue-thanks-ground-breaking-device.html#ixzz0iJ48yaO2

T

he Liverpool fan, who plays blind football for England, was faced with the prospect of relying on a guide dog or cane for the rest of his life after he was injured.

But he was chosen by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to be the first person to trial the BrainPort device, which could revolutionise treatment for the blind.

The BrainPort converts visual images into a series of electrical pulses which are sent to the tongue. The different strength of the tingles can be read or interpreted so the user can mentally visualise their surroundings and navigate around objects.

The device is comprised of a tiny video camera attached to a pair of sunglasses which are linked to a plastic 'lolly pop' which the user places on their tongue to read the electrical pulses.

L/Cpl Lundberg explained: 'It feels like popping candy. The camera sends signals down onto the lolly pop and onto your tongue, you can then determine what they mean and transfer it to shapes.

'You get lines and shapes of things, it sees in black and white so you get a two dimensional image on your tongue, it's a bit like a pins and needles sensation.

'It's only a prototype, but the potential to change my life is massive, it's got a lot of potential to advance things for blind people.

'One of the things it has enabled me to do is pick up objects straight away, I can reach out and pick them up when before I would be fumbling around to feel for them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1258115/Blind-soldier-tongue-thanks-ground-breaking-device.html#ixzz0iJ4FLknN

Pretty awesome stuff !
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Balls ...i screwed up the title ...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Blind football? Wow, what the hell is wrong with the British? What else do they have, wheelchair soccer? Wait.....fuck, Earth is a ridiculously cruel place.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

Wow, That's fucking crazy.

...I'm a bad person
 ...I'm a bad person
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

Something constantly in your mouth=saliva production=wow that guy is going to have a lot of stomach aches.  Still that's awesome.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Wow, this is amazing. I wonder what the budget for this was. Also, it's really odd that they chose the tongue. Couldn't they of put something on your wrist or something? Or does the tongue have tons of nerves which makes it the perfect place?

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By emkeighcameron

Dude, that is fucking crazy. 

I bet you could use this same tech for night vision, too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DystopiaX
@Video_Game_King: football is soccer to them...he plays soccer with other blind people. 
you know...cause he's from liverpool?
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Suicidal_SNiper: Something to do with how the nerves connect to the brain or something : ?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This is pretty incredible, I bet next we will be hearing with our eyes and tasting with our ears.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By wh1terav3n

*gags*, he sees with tingling on his tounge. What does he get with Pop Rocks?