BlizzActivision: We're not this big monolithic empire, honestly!

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By melcene

When I saw this headline, I laughed.  Ok they didn't really say "honestly," I threw that in there.  But still.

Activision head of developer relations Dan Winters:  

...before ... becoming the number one publisher ... we were always known as the warm and cuddly Activision; the scrappy, loveable number two. As soon as we become the number one ... perceptions started to change a little bit.
... we're the same guys, we really are. We haven't changed! I'm the same guy that I was before the merger ... We're the same organisation. ... We're not this big, monolithic empire that's making decisions in a dark room...

The full article is over at GamesIndustry.biz, and you need to register to read it, but I thought that some of those gem quotes were worth bringing over here.

He has a point though.  Remember when it used to be that EA was the big bad monolithic empire?  Everyone was afraid that EA would ruin anything they touched.  Some who kept up on the industry through that time still are.  But Activision has mostly taken over that spot.  I hadn't realized that it had coincided with their takeover of Blizzard though.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By blueduck

The difference between the two is that EA pumped out shitty game after shitty game and Activision runs franchises into the ground.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hexx462

That's like a dictator* saying "I only gassed 1/3 of the people in my country, I'm not that bad... guys?". Very cute Activision, but you didn't get to the top by being scrappy and lovable.

*I am by no means actually comparing Activision to someone that commits ethnic cleansing, before anyone gets bent out of shape.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ramone

I love that quote, just insert your own words into the spaces

'(We try to say) 'We're the same guys, we really are. We haven't changed!, I'm the same guy that I was before the merger' (That's all bullshit) We're the same organisation (you thought we were and it's true) we're not this big, monolithic empire that's making decisions in a dark room (we're making decisions in a brightly lit room while Bobby K is smoking the souls of former employees through a bone marrow pipe and you can see us but you can't do anything about it because WE CONTROL YOU)

That's what he really said, in my mind at least.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

EA still ruin things though, what is the difference to before?

And there were still like 10 (main) Tony Hawk games prior to Activision taking over Blizzard.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

As long as they make games I'll play I ain't care.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

Activision runs franchises down into the grounds and milk their series to no ends.

Same with EA, except they've been improving with their game quality.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I get that they run certain franchises into the ground, and don't promote their original games enough, but I just don't know why they'd be considered 'evil'. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" I get that they run certain franchises into the ground, and don't promote their original games enough, but I just don't know why they'd be considered 'evil'.  "
Its internet law.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" I get that they run certain franchises into the ground, and don't promote their original games enough, but I just don't know why they'd be considered 'evil'.  "
Its internet law. "
Oh, right. Got it.