IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By IcyEyes
No Caption Provided

Before any of you get too excited, I just want to warn you that this is not the greatly improved port I was working on for months. This is just a slightly improved version of the old build that was originally played on UPF. It still contains many bugs and missing features. So consider yourself warned!

As many of you know, I had to put the release of my improved port of Bombjammers on hold, due to some difficulties me and my family have been going through. The community here was overwhelmingly supportive and understanding of this, but it still sadden me because it felt like I was letting people down. So a few days ago I just decided to put out the old version for people to finally try. However, I did end up improving a few things in this version anyway:

No Caption Provided

Changes to Pre-Alpha 4

• Power Kicks can't “backfire” on you anymore. So no more feeling like an idiot ;)
  • No speed penalty when holding the bomb now.
  • Bomb now has a timer, and will explode if you hold on to it for too long!
  • You can now create an all bot match! Just sit back and watch the madness unfold.
  • Updated some graphics (new logo, fonts, etc.) and renamed some menus.

Known Issues

• Bomb can sometimes get stuck?!? (This has been fixed in the port.)
  • Very basic and somewhat buggy AI.
  • Pause menu doesn't support controller input.
  • Keyboard controls suck.

How to play

Keyboard is supported, but it kind of sucks. So an xbox controller is highly recommended!

Move = Left stick or arrow keys.

Power Slide (not holding bomb) = Left stick + A button, or arrow keys + space bar.

Throw Bomb (while holding bomb) = Left stick + A button, or arrow keys + space bar..

Power Kick (just before catching bomb) = B button, or Alt key.

>> Download the Pre-Alpha here <<

The (uncertain) future of Bombjammers?

I also wanted to get this build out there because, due to my current situation, I might be without a place to live soon and I still have no idea what I'm going to do about that yet. So I'm not sure when I might be able to get back to this. My housing and job situation has been starting to bother me because I'm still not bringing in enough to support myself, and I've found being productive at any kind of work extremely difficult due to a lot of depression. I'm also feeling really burned out on just about everything.

I originally started Bombjammers as just a silly little side project to help distract me from all this. But it ended up having way more potential then I ever imagined it could. It's also been the only thing I've found any joy in during all of this crap, which feels like a shame because I can't really use any of it to help me. But with things being somewhat desperate, I've been wondering if there might not be a way to use this project to somehow help support me?

I've thought about trying to go the ad supported way, by putting it up on gaming portals, but it would need to be extremely popular to make any kind of money there. I could also just ask for donations, but I don't know if that would bring in much either. The only other option I can think of, is just trying to spin this project off in to it's own, full-fledged commercial game. Like when you take a jam game and turn it into a "real" game. But would there even be enough interest to make that work? There does seem to be a lot of games like this popping up on Steam nowadays....

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this, since I honestly don't know if I'm really thinking very clearly anymore. Anyway, thanks for being so awesome, duders! Hope you have fun with the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sorry for the troubles, but thanks for the jamming!

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for all the work you've put into this! Hope things are going well for you.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By IcyEyes

Pre-Alpha Updated to version 4B

This tiny update just tweaks player movement and bot A.I some. Since I decided to put this pre-alpha out in the wild, I thought I might as well try experimenting with the game play. So you can probably expect to see more minor updates like this in the future.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hands down, pants up. Hope you will resolve your current situation soon and in the best way possible.