Building a Plex server (never built before)

j1m3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm wanting to start a personal plex server to host my DVD/Blu-ray collection, I have a budget of around £800 and want it to be able to support maybe 3 simultaneous streams. I have around 1000 DVD's maybe 20 or so Blu-rays, so would also need to be able to rip them all. I have never built a PC before, I have upgraded graphics cards and RAM in a PC before but nothing more in depth.

Can anyone recommend any build guides (including parts lists and where to buy, I'm UK based) or decent pre-builts for this purpose.

Thanks duders.

Virtual_Balboa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Virtual_Balboa

I've been hosting a Plex server for years now, you probably don't need as powerful hardware as you think. I don't know how easily you can find used computers in the UK, but I would look there first. My strategy was to look for the most expensive i7 machine I could afford at the time.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By aktivity

Plex uses very little resources if your streaming without transcoding. I just took a small Dell from my office after a migration, it has a i5-3470s and 8GB ram. Attached a couple of external WD Red drives to it. Does fine on my home network with two blu-ray quality simultaneous streams, especially since I rarely have need for transcoding. If you expect a lot of transcoding, then a beefier CPU will be required (still no need for expensive high-end though). A CPU with integrated graphics might save you the need to buy a GPU.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another option would be a NAS. They might be a better option if all you're looking for is storage + a Plex server, and not managing a whole-ass server.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity said:

Plex uses very little resources if your streaming without transcoding.

But depending on how you encode your media you may often find yourself transcoding. Plex likes some container formats more than others, and things like turning on subtitles will flip on transcode. I'm running an i5-2500 and often find the hardware struggling to keep up if I've got subs on or even just forward/reverse seek through the video too much.

When I get around to upgrading, I'll be going with a much more substantial CPU.

huss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By huss

I would build with parts similar to this: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/dpn7YJ

As others have said, it doesn't take a lot for a plex server. You could make it mini-itx instead, swapping out the motherboard and case. I think the other components would fit most smaller cases.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arjailer

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 4TB USB hard drive. Works fine for DVDs ripped with MakeMKV, even when transcoding for some clients.

Doubt it'd handle Blu-ray's though, so I've not bothered ripping those.

Edit: I do the DVD ripping on my laptop and just pull the USB drive out of the Pi to copy new files to it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer said:

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 with a 4TB USB hard drive. Works fine for DVDs ripped with MakeMKV, even when transcoding for some clients.

Doubt it'd handle Blu-ray's though, so I've not bothered ripping those.

Edit: I do the DVD ripping on my laptop and just pull the USB drive out of the Pi to copy new files to it.

I was going to chime in with just this.

Was running a Pi4 with an 8TB external drive. Have it pushing 720 and 1080p content including rips of my BluRays. There's no transcoding going on, though.

I have my i7 6700k doing the encoding in handbrake, then the files get written to a share on the Pi.

If OP is mostly doing DVDs, I'd start with a Pi4 and see if that does the trick. If it does, great. Didn't spend hundreds of bucks on hardware that would sit idle most of the time. If not? You're out a few bucks, but you can turn that Pi4 into an emulation machine that will go up to N64, Dreamcast, and PSX pretty well.

If more hardware is needed, low power (35w) Intel and AMD business machines can be found off lease. I snagged an i5 6500t based HP mini PC with a Win10 Pro license embedded in the BIOS for $200 USD. Sips power and is currently my Plex server and various other game servers at the same time.

Dr_Unorthadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi all,

I’m also a raspberry pi plex user. I have been running mine for about 2 weeks and noticed the pi can get quite hot. I have added in a heatsink and hoping that does the trick.

Anyone other pi users notice the same? How are you keeping it cool?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelyre

@dr_unorthadox said:

Anyone other pi users notice the same? How are you keeping it cool?

I am using this case for my Retropi machine.

https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case

Can find em on Amazon as well. Keeps my 2ghz Pi4 very cool even after hours of Dreamcast playing.

My Plex/OMV pi is in a different case. Looks nicer (I think), and is a bit cooler as it has a fan, but it was substantially more expensive and performed, fanless, worse than the flirc. But with a fan, better. And it has room for a hat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BLQ6GQX/

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using a heatsink case that looks very like this one (but mines black):

https://thepihut.com/products/aluminium-armour-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4

Been using it for about a year now with no issues. It does get hot, but it's a wee computer so that's expected 👍

WiFiPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@j1m3n7: I have been running a plex server for myself and a few friends. If you are running it for personal use ONLY you're probably fine with just a pi, but if you ever plan to have more than one person watching stuff at the same time you'll likely want something more powerful. Just something to think about.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wifipirate: there are more powerful single board computers other than the raspberry pi like odyssey and lattepanda. However, you got to note that more power needs more electricity.