Busted HDR performance on the Samsung G7 (Windows 10)

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I've been scraping tech forums for help on this, but the info out there just seems super spotty. So I'll check here in case someone has any insight on the problem.

So: I have a Samsung G7 monitor. In a very few games the HDR works normally, but in most, the moment I turn it on in-game everything looks like the contrast and gamma has been turned up to the max on all 3D objects, while menus look like the brightness has been turned down to 0. Adjusting colour and brightness settings both in-game and in Windows/Nvidia has an effect but does not fix it. In the games that display wrong, the monitor will black out for a second before coming back and displaying the input again, as if it were changing resolutions (which it should not be). No idea if this is anything to do with it.

Anyone had similar issues with that range of monitors?

DPEP56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By DPEP56

So unfortunately HDR on PC is generally in a bad place. My understanding is this typically has to do with there being several different HDR standards out there, and PC monitors not using the popular TV ones like HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. All the standards cause issues with actually getting your monitor properly calibrated and sometimes this can be messed up on a per game basis. Also the games themselves actually need to support HDR. Many don't. If they do, it should be in the visual settings. I think Hitman for example had a few different standards to choose from. Also it doesn't help that PC monitors often times have poor local dimming and black levels compared to TV counterparts. It's kinda a bummer tbh. I'd love to pick one up but it's still probably a few years until this is sorted. It's almost better to just buy an expensive Samsung TV and use it as a monitor...

DPEP56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Followup. Here is a good article on the topic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/pc-gaming-hdr-problem-a-way-out/%3famp

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Thanks for the link. I think I may have actually made some headway in my case. It looks like a big part of the problem was how Windows 10 was trying to brighten SDR assets, which is automatically engaged when HDR is enabled on the windows level. I think this was being wrongly applied to HDR applications as well.

Frustratingly, I'm not sure exactly what I did that changed it. But now I have HDR disabled for Win10, but still detected in full screen applications. Previously, if I turned it off for windows, games wouldn't acknowledge any HDR capacity in the settings.

This might have been a windows issue all along...