Buying Dualshock 3 for my PC Tomorrow, Objections?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

I've been incredibly happy using my keyboard and mouse with just about every game out there, including driving games.  However there is one genre, one that I LOVE, that has eluded me.  Fighting games.  These shitty 14 dollar ones I've had for a year are the literal worst and frankly I'm sick of it.  Looking online for dedicated PC controllers doesn't seem to fit the bill either.  Given that a lot of engineering and care has gone into making these controllers, I'll go with a console one.

If I am going to use this as my fighting game controller, I need it to have a good D-Pad and played a PS2 Mortal Kombat games, I feel comfortable using it.  I've been meaning to do this for a while but never got around to it.

Anyone object to the idea?  Alternative controllers?  Personal experience?  I could use the advice now before I drop 40 bones on it.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

like what fighting game in particular? All of them? or do you have a specific one in mind?

For example: I used a USB Sega Saturn Pad for SSF4 on PS3, but for tekken, the DS works alright.

And you might as well buy a Sixaxis instead of a DS3, I don't think rumble works when youre using it for a PC.
Not to mention you need to download the workaround for it.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By artofwar420

Get one of those third party xbox controllers that have a functional d-pad.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It won't work for pc, you have to mess with alot of drivers and stuff to make it work. If you bought a ps3 controller and expect it to work just like that, you will be dissapointed. I mean if it does, shouldn't you hear more about it by now?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By No0b0rAmA

@artofwar420:  Thats probably the best option

I want to see what you can do with a wiimote in Street Fighter.

Avatar image for themikelguereca
TheMikelGuereca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheMikelGuereca
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By bacongames
@archsoldier1 said:
" This should work fine, I do it and  it works wonders.  http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-make-console-gamepads-play-nice-with-pc-and-mac/203/ "
Yeah I read that article and the DS3 maker's instructions so getting it to isn't worrying me.

I'm buying it from Walmart so I can return it if it doesn't work.

@RecSpec said:
" like what fighting game in particular? All of them? or do you have a specific one in mind?  For example: I used a USB Sega Saturn Pad for SSF4 on PS3, but for tekken, the DS works alright.  And you might as well buy a Sixaxis instead of a DS3, I don't think rumble works when youre using it for a PC. Not to mention you need to download the workaround for it. "

I plan on playing Mortal Kombat emulations and SSFIV when it comes out for PC.
bigall94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigall94

Checked out this post because I have also been trying to get a Dualshock to work on PC. I'll try the program in the Tested post because I have 32-bit Windows 7 and hopefully it'll be easier than it was for my old computer. Don't even talk to me about fiddling with drivers and cords. *Shudder* Thanks!

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ColMirage

I've used a DualShock 3 on the PC for a PS2 emulator. Also played TF2 with it for the laughs. Worked mighty fine on XP SP3.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endless_void
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

It won't work for pc, you have to mess with alot of drivers and stuff to make it work. If you bought a ps3 controller and expect it to work just like that, you will be dissapointed. I mean if it does, shouldn't you hear more about it by now?

"
Nah it works easily, and has been for years now. On 64-bit machines though you'll have to allow the OS to launch unsigned drivers though, otherwise it'll cause stability issues.
Avatar image for themikelguereca
TheMikelGuereca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheMikelGuereca

I have a 64-bit machine and it really isn't that bad like endless_void said. That guide is really useful in order to get your Dual Shock 3 working on a PC. If you buy from Wal-mart I would get the unofficially released white one. I play Xbox live games and it makes me feel bad-ass when the game thinks I have a 360 controller. Just plain bad-assery!