Canadians Getting the Price Boot

SmAsH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SmAsH

Why do we Canadian's have to pay $10 more for everything. Mainly for gaming, everything is $10 more or equally more depending on what you are purchasing. At one point we had the same prices when the Canadian dollar was a bit over, but now it is still close 1 USD = 1.00072 CAN. I don't understand, we fall under by .00072 and all of a sudden they raise it to earlier prices. Should Canadian gamers be outraged? What do you think? Any U.S. gamers care to post.

I mean if you guys pay $300 for Rock Band 2 drums, we will probably pay $350. Sad, but true.

senior_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By senior_waffles

Um...last I checked our prices are the same as US prices. Wii games are 49.99 over there and are the same for us. 360/PS3 games are 59.99 over there and same deal over here.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Well, if you're in Europe some time you can complain some more. If you like.

namster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By namster

haha yeah consider ourselves lucky that we're not from Europe getting all the games last and getting overcharged for them
the prices seem pretty much 1:1 US:CAN for games right now although blockbuster sometimes try to pull the 61.99 for a 59.99 game.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Win

I just saw a thread where an Irish user was saying that Rock Band costs nearly $400 US. So I consider us in Canada to be pretty lucky.

phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phatkav

That's what we get for being Canadians :P

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz

It sucks, but I'm pretty sure that extra % that we are paying is an electronics tax, on top of the PST(depending where you live ) and GST.

Europe has it even worse, I feel bad for them, they had to shell out close to $300 for rockband where here it was $189 If I recall correctly.

It sucks, but nothing you can do too much about, unless you take exchange for some us funds, hop across the border ( depends on where you live again) and snag some games, but then again, if you don't live near the border then no point bothering, you'd be wasting more money on gas to get over there and back anway.

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nobility

Though it better now than it was before, Canada usually suffers in electronic and video game pricing simply because people are used to it.  When we hit parity, people were demanding magazine costs to be the same and unless you have that unified front, I wouldn't expect any changes soon.

JDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JDuke

Video Game prices are pretty similar between the US and Canada.  As Nobility stated, it's unlikely a change will happen soon.

Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Shade

I totally agree with OP. Being Canadian myself, I've always noticed around a 10 dollar price drop when traveling to the United States. It's kind of strange because I'm pretty sure our dollar is equal, if not worth more, than the US dollar. I always feel like I'm getting ripped off here when I purchase electronics. Not to mention the taxes here, at least in Toronto, are ridiculous at around 15%.

Avatar image for chulomex3_basic
chulomex3_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chulomex3_basic
OMG smash!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By JoelTGM

It used to be $10 more, but I thought it was changed.  I can't remember though.  $59.99 right?

Gariom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gariom

Well, I live in Canada and all the prices here are the same as in the US. Wii games are $49.99. 360 and PS3 games are $59.99. I don't know where in Canada you live where the prices are higher.

thedeusmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By thedeusmachine

I don't know what you're talking about honestly.  This was a problem a year ago, but with the American dollar falling we're enjoying some low low prices.  And I certainly know other countries are much worse off than us.

marth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By marth

It is always terrible for me to have to pay the higher price for items in Canada.  Recently all the games I have been seeing in stores have been at the US price.  The reason though we end up paying more for items deals with the amount of demand found within Canada.  Our population is far lower and far more spread out than the population of the US and as a result demand for certain products is lower.  In order to justify shipping all items our way they usually have to jack up the prices to cover costs.  However, most products are simply gouging us for our money.

MikeSTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeSTER

Canadians always get the butt-end of the stick, even though we gamers spend 100+ million on games annually. Like the XBL marketplace is a prime example, WE NEED DL CONTENT NOW!

Lobsterkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lobsterkin

It's definitely frustrating spending ten dollars more for everything, but most of the stores sell games for the average of 59.99, I find. I don't shop at EBGames, but Walmart has their games at 59, as does futureshop.

Persepolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Persepolian

As far as I've seen Canadian prices are about the same as US ones. If you're also including PST and GST in your numbers, well that's a different story. Being from Alberta, I'm thoroughly enjoying my 5% tax :D.

Also, stop your complaining. As it's been pointed out, we are so lucky to pay what we pay. Those poor Europeans and Australians.

Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shade

New games are generally 59.99 here, and anything not new varies from 49.99 and lower. You rarely see games under 29.99 unless they're used.

Gariom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gariom
Persepolian said:
"As far as I've seen Canadian prices are about the same as US ones. If you're also including PST and GST in your numbers, well that's a different story. Being from Alberta, I'm thoroughly enjoying my 5% tax :D.

Also, stop your complaining. As it's been pointed out, we are so lucky to pay what we pay. Those poor Europeans and Australians.
"
That's also true, if you're counting tax it's of course going to be higher price.

Wait, wait...5%?!? I have to pay 13%!

manathirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By manathirst

Our prices are about the same as the US in terms of video games, sometimes there are even deals around at Futureshop/Bestbuy.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Our prices are nearly exactly the same.  I have no problems with the current price of games.