Console Multiplayer - PS4 or XB1?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Poll Console Multiplayer - PS4 or XB1? (51 votes)

PS4 65%
Xbox ONE 35%

Hey there Giant Bomb community, so I've been out of the multiplayer gaming scene for quite some time now, having played Halo on the 360 religiously for years, and was thinking about getting back into multiplayer gaming at the start of this new generation. Last generation the 360 seemed to be by far the platform of choice for console, multiplayer gaming but has the recent popularity of the PlayStation 4 nudged the Sony's console ahead as the platform of choice for multiplayer gaming this time around?

Sure it's still early days, there aren't that many online games and these things usually take at least a few years to become clear but with no means of investigating for myself, what have your experiences been like so far?

Titanfall's release seems to have come and gone and I've heard very little else about the online experience in terms of the number of active players and the online community of Microsoft's new console so this has also caused me to ponder whether the PS4 may have become the platform of choice for console multiplayer gaming this time around.

And yes I'm well aware that the PC scene has most likely the largest install base of all but I'm keeping this purely between the XB1 and PS4 hence no Wii U either. I'm intending to take a look at both those platforms at some other time.

• 
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

At this point I'd say PS4 is your best bet for multiplayer. PSN has finally closed the gap on Xbox Live and the two are pretty much equal in nearly every area and the fact that multiplatform games have been consistently better performing on PS4 means that is version most people are going to go with, potentially leading to larger online comunities. But really though, you're going to get great multiplayer experience on both consoles, so it really comes down where your friends are and which system has the exclusive multiplayer games you want to play.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DharmaBum

Depends on if you're interested in playing Halo 1-3 on dedicated servers come November.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

OG Halo 2 Online CTF Zanzibar, this November.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninnanuam

@ll_exile_ll:

I think this question might depend on where you live. The PSN still sucks for me, every time I have played a game on that service I have felt hampered by laggy bullshit. However the XB1 actually improved the service over 360. For example my closest server for Titanfall was Singapore and my Ping was around 100 then MS opened a server in Australia and my ping went to around 80.

Again though I don't think this will be an issue if you don't live at the ass end of the world though.

I think the game selection is better on the PS4 but I honestly don't think they have actually done that much work to their infrastructure

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you love Halo Multiplayer you may be really interested in The Master Chief Collection coming in November. Halos 1-4 all 1080p 60fps with every multiplayer map from each game. Plus Halo 5 beta access.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure both consoles will be similar on the online gaming front. PS4 might have larger populations as it's no doubt going to be the dominant console this gen as far as sales go.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's Halo on Xbox One, but the best version of Destiny will be on PS4, and the party system isn't completely broken on PS4.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Halo MCC and Destiny on XONE seem like a good idea. Rocket Race on Beaver Creek, yo.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

Seems like it's pretty much the same, besides the fact that ps plus is better than games for gold. Also, if you really like halo then go with xbox. Also, does playstation have cross game chat now? Im not big on Mp, but I remember people really bitching about ps3 not having that feature. Do people still care about that?

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been playing Titanfall since it came out and have never noticed any problems getting games or partying up, get about a 60ms ping to the nearest datacenter

I don't have a ps4 to compare it to, that's just what my experience has been

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

With experience of both (less than ten hours total on the Xbone over this month) the PS4 still has a higher Quality of Life with regards to multiplayer functionality, systems and titles especially if you care about quality indies, downloadables and F2P games. You could get a PS4 and call it a day with the F2p offerings, War Thunder, Warframe, DC Universe Online, Blacklight Retribution , the ones it launched with (WT was EU only at the time) and the soon done localizing and very playable with great combat for an MMORPG Onigiri, the 1080p60 confirmed PlanetSide 2, and the games they announce several of every week.

This is overkill now that I've written all that. I hope the Xbone shapes up and drops some of the fine print the developers don't like.

Cross game chat is in and if you like Halo like I got tempted to buy my own Xbone for the sake of the collection of, try to get some time with Destiny, that shit is Halo for the new age without being stuck to the old standards set by the franchise in many a good way.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just go where your friends are.

Real friends, as in people you know in real life.

Nothing lamer than having the hot new game, talking about it at work and not being able to play with your friends cause your on a different console.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sony had some catching up to do and it looks like they did good.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Depends cause most games come to both. I don't care about Halo, Dead Rising, or most Microsoft content at all so PS4 was the place for me. You should pay attention to what your friends play and the exclusives for each console.