Covering a Video Game Conference for a Website

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

So Recently I found a reputable enough gamesite looking for writers. I sent them a writing sample and they'd like to give me a shot with them. I mentioned that I was going to the Penny Arcade Expo. Heres the dialogue 

Me (after talking with him for a while): Do publishers send you guys free games? 
Him: Yes we do get games but don't expect to be getting all these free games right off the bat when you start, you gotta prove yourself first (resonable) 
Me: I'd be worried for your sanity if I did :P Oh and just thought I'd let you know I'll be on vacation from the 23rd to the 29th, and then form the 3rd of September to the 6th I'll be at the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle 
Him: Would you be able to cover PAX for us?

The thing is, I'd love to cover PAX for them, but it'll be a decent amount of work. Should I be asking for some form of compensation, I don't think they pay their writers, or should I just do it as a way to prove myself and get in his Awesome List so that I do get benefits such as free games in the future?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Karmum
@Gorillawhat: 
Let me get this straight. You're going to PAX to cover video games, and are they paying for it? Sounds like a good compensation, in my opinion. Then again, I haven't ever covered an event like that, I only write reviews for a small website. Lucky dog. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Karmum said:
" @Gorillawhat:  Let me get this straight. You're going to PAX to cover video games, and are they paying for it? Sounds like a good compensation, in my opinion. Then again, I haven't ever covered an event like that, I only write reviews for a small website. Lucky dog. :( "
No, where did you get that from? My whole question is should I be asking for some form of compensation (because as far as I know they don't pay their writers) OR should I just do it for free, get in the good books, and get free games in the future?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Karmum said:
" @Gorillawhat:  Let me get this straight. You're going to PAX to cover video games, and are they paying for it? Sounds like a good compensation, in my opinion. Then again, I haven't ever covered an event like that, I only write reviews for a small website. Lucky dog. :( "
Oh yeah, you write for Talk Xbox right? Do they pay you for that or just free games?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Karmum
@Gorillawhat: 
Oh, I kind of assumed that what was going on. Do you have any other people on their website to ask, and get advice from?

Yeah, I still write for Talk Xbox. It's kind on a game-by-game thing. If I'm sent a game, that is considered my compensation. If I supply the game for a review, I get a small pay.