Crushed by what feels like the loss of a piece of me with the news of, Brad, Vinny and Alex leaving, Giant Bomb.

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By LordCrom

Having discovered, Gamespot in late 2000 and coming across, Jeff and Ryan along with, Brad, Vinny and Alex a short time later, I'm experiencing a feeling of great loss hearing that, Brad, Vinny and Alex are leaving, Jeff and Giant Bomb. It's akin to a band that you've grown up with and experienced life with through good times and bad, breaking up. You know you'll never have them together in quite the same way ever again and it hurts. It feels like the end of the road for how I take in video game coverage. Of course Jeff is still here, but he is the last one standing of that group I so wanted to see stay together forever. Sure he will be surrounded by a new group of individuals but it will never be the same, never again be like it was. This truly is the end of an era in my life.

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel ya. But, as Dave Lang said:

"Don’t be sad some people are leaving, just be happy they were ever there ❤"

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@forkstik:

So true. I've been on here since the beginning and as much as I hate to see them go, I understand that things change, people change. Cherish the good memories.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I will echo what I have seen in other threads that it feels like friends of yours are moving away (albeit not real friends here). I'll be interested to see where they are next, if it ends up being somewhere visible. Ben mentioned he desired to go somewhere he wouldn't be seen as a public figure.

Brad has the casual tech podcast with Will Smith and that scene seems engaged with that in a way that's really cool. Seems like more of a side hustle but even if Brad doesn't keep up with that for long it's nice that I still get to hear him every week.

Danny and Drew do the Shift F+1 podcast and I enjoy that as a casual fan of Formula 1.

I don't watch Abby's or Dan's Twitch stuff because while I can fit in podcasts it's tough to spend a bunch of time watching video so unfortunately I don't get to keep up with them anymore.

Alex and Vinny are a bit of a mystery for me! If they choose paths that mean I don't hear or see them anymore I'll miss their one-way presence in my life.

I've probably taken for granted how long and stable the core group of GB has been. I'm happy for the time I've gotten to have them on my screen and in my headphones.

mrwug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here, man. Also: These one sided relationships are a motherfucker. Vinny, Alex, and Brad feel like my friends, but they don’t know I exist.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Superkenon

I'm both surprised and not surprised at how the news has affected me. It's almost a heartbroken feeling. Just goes to show how important and influential the crew's been to me for the last Decade+™.

But change is good, the saga continues, and it's a happy thing that the crew is able to move things along on their own terms. No matter what comes next, the memories shared and the lessons learned are forever.

Much love to everyone <>

shaunsharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Really sad to hear these three are leaving Giant Bomb after so many years. I'm currently listening to the podcast, but have they made any indication that the leave was because of costs rather than simply the three of them deciding to do something different with their careers? It would seem to be a big coincidence otherwise. I know Giant Bomb's parent company was sold within the past year. My guess is that was a big part of it and that the parent company decided to scale down Giant Bomb. I just hope they don't completely dismantle it. Giant Bomb is really the only gaming media/website I've followed for the past 10 years or more.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar boat. I came across this team during the GameSpot days while I was in high school. It was a really formative time for me and I ended up getting really attached to their work and chemistry. It's strange to think back and see their work as one of the singular constants that exists for me from what was essentially my childhood to where I am now.

When I was a bit of a lost soul 18 year old, I had no idea what the future held for me and I bounced around a lot. The podcasts and eventual video coverage were the only thing that stayed the same, and definitely a source of positivity when I was in the darkest places. Here I am now, in a career I genuinely love, with a job I look forward to, and I can definitely say that the things I learned from them inspired me to pursue this.

Goodbyes are tough, but I've gotten pretty good at it over the years. I'm so happy and thankful for the things they created over the last couple decades. They should be proud of the stuff they made and the positive influence they've been on their audience.

FODWalkHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird how much this brings you given I have never actually met anyone from GB in person. But life changes. Your interests change. I'm a couple of years younger than Brad and I get it. Sometimes it's just time for a change, a new opportunity comes along, etc. I'm less interested in video games than I was even a few years ago but other interests are replacing it.

Maybe it's another thing that my time in the Marines left me with. You spend all this time with the same people daily.. for years. Then one day it's time for someone to move on. It sucks but that's unfortunately life. Who knows what the next chapter of GB... will it be the same? No. But that doesn't mean it will be bad.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I'm with you man, I found out yesterday and I still feel shook. I'm really trying to process it but I have this deep, sad, sinking feeling.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RobertForster

I feel you. Tbh, I found myself literally crying like a baby last night. I’m sure everything will be okay, though. I have been following Jeff and Gamespot intensely since 1997. It was the first website that I felt any attachment too. GiantBomb kept its spirit going and then some for 13 additional years. I’m happy about that.

TheoHux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally understand this feeling. It was my first reaction too, but honestly... as sad as I am over the departure of three of the foundational members, I am very excited to see what comes next. Jeff's statement was really promising and I think the direction they want to move in sounds great.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

nemesis208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure many people posting here like me have been following the group since the gamespot days and "On the Spot". Never really thought it would come to this, sort just expected this to go on forever without much thought that things have to change over time. There is just nothing else really like Giantbomb, its the only podcast I listen to regularly and its not even about games but to hear this group of personalities converse. Its going to be hard, but I hope they find time to maybe start up a podcast on the side just talk about whatever.