Dark Void: this years first big disappointment

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dhuff

Just played the demo.  Isn't it coming out in like 2 weeks?  Feels unfinished.  And it's not fun.  I don't like to judge a game based on a short demo, that first demo for Batman Arkham Asylum totally turned me off (of course the second demo was amazing).  But this looks like a good cross section of the gameplay and danny no like.

Anybody else feeling like me after the demo?  It has Tesla in it!  Damn.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jost1

Is it like Bionic Commando all over again? I liked BC but man it had some problems.

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dhuff
@josty81: I don't know how to describe it other than "meh".  I was really looking forward to this one.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

where did you get a demo??

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dhuff
@trophyhunter said:
" where did you get a demo?? "
It's on xbox live.  Just showed up a couple hours ago.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@trophyhunter said:
" where did you get a demo?? "
PSN...XBL...
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138
@dhuff said:
" @josty81: I don't know how to describe it other than "meh".  I was really looking forward to this one. "
I hate when people use "meh" it makes you look stupid .
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's the very same demo I played two months back at the Eurogamer event, and it's just as lame as it was then.  

On the evidence of the few reviews already available, this appears to be yet another fuck up from a Western Capcom branch. First Bionic Commando, and now this which had so much promise. On a plus note, Japanese developed Lost Planet 2 looks awesome, and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 will keep me happy with Capcom this year. I'm keen to know what Capcom have in the works though...

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Linkyshinks said:
" It's the very same demo I played two months back at the Eurogamer event, and it's just as lame as it was then.  

On the evidence of the few reviews already available, this appears to be yet another fuck up from a Western Capcom branch, first Bionic Commando and now this, which had so much promise. On a plus note, Japanese developed Lost Planet 2 looks awesome, and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 will keep me happy with Capcom this year. I'm keen to know what Capcom have in the works though... "
Apparently Capcom's doing less stuff with the Wii because Wii games sell less.
T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By T0mF5

I didn't know there was 2 Batman Arkham Asylum demos.
Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Th3dz
@josty81 said:
" Is it like Bionic Commando all over again? I liked BC but man it had some problems. "
Felt exactly the same way. Somehow it felt unfinished or at least like they should have tweaked a lot of stuff. Janky and unpredictable controls...
LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By LackLuster

I just finished playing the demo and it was a huge disappointment it really feels like a last generation game to me

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By aaox

I don't know, I wasn't particularly excited for this game anyway so it being mehdiocre doesn't really bother me much.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kashif1
@T0mF5 said:
" I didn't know there was 2 Batman Arkham Asylum demos. "
one was a store demo which came out first and was nothing more than a few challenge rooms.  When that came out everyone who played it assumed the full game would be nothing more than a beatemup.  the second demo was available on psn and xble and showed of the amazing stealth sequenses
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rallier

It's rather funny that now the DSiWare promotional faux retro game now seems better then the actual game.

darksamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By darksamus
@TheMustacheHero: I think the PSN demo will be released tomorrow.
dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dhuff
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @dhuff said:
" @josty81: I don't know how to describe it other than "meh".  I was really looking forward to this one. "
I hate when people use "meh" it makes you look stupid . "
I hate it when jerks criticize me for no apparent reason.  It makes them look petty.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By diz
@dhuff said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @dhuff said:
I hate it when jerks criticize me for no apparent reason.  It makes them look petty. "
meh...
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evanbrau

Played it and was not impressed, thought it had some promise and went to check when its release date was assuming it was one of those early demos that come out sometimes but its out really soon so yeah fuck that noise. Also I'm pretty tired of Nolan North as anyone but Drake, I can't accept him as anyone but that character. It happened in Shadow Complex and more recently in Assassins Creed 2 (far less so obviously) where North being the lead just drew me out of the game.

I will say that I'm kinda glad that MAG and this have turned out to not be shit since it'll give me time to finish Batman and AC2 while I wait for Mass Effect 2.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

It's beyond me why anyone was expecting this to be anything but another crappy repetitive shooter with a stupid "new" gimmick. 

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slippy

I hear Nolan North is in this game.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sabata

The flying was pretty fun but the shooting was....subpar.  Shame, I was hoping this would turn out better.  I'll still probably rent it though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

Wasn't too interested in it to begin with.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Rallier said:
" It's rather funny that now the DSiWare promotional faux retro game now seems better then the actual game. "

It's sad but very true that I find myself more interested in the DSiWare game now. 

@TheMustacheHero
said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" It's the very same demo I played two months back at the Eurogamer event, and it's just as lame as it was then.  

On the evidence of the few reviews already available, this appears to be yet another fuck up from a Western Capcom branch, first Bionic Commando and now this, which had so much promise. On a plus note, Japanese developed Lost Planet 2 looks awesome, and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Monster Hunter 3 will keep me happy with Capcom this year. I'm keen to know what Capcom have in the works though... "
Apparently Capcom's doing less stuff with the Wii because Wii games sell less. "

I posted the story - it was related to mature titles, not no titles. I honestly don't care what they have in the works for Wii, unless it's a fighter, I was referring to 360 an PS3 games made in house within Japan. 
handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By handlas
@Black_Rose said:

" It's beyond me why anyone was expecting this to be anything but another crappy repetitive shooter with a stupid "new" gimmick.  "

how is that different from anything else?  Uncharted 2, GOTY, could be described the same way.  Repetitive shooter with the gimmick being it is also a platformer!  Of course that is where Naughty Dog steps in with their great presentation of everything from story to characters.

Maybe what I'm just getting at is while the demo was definitely buggy in areas: cutscene's framerate was bad, the demo itself started out in a weird place, the ending explosion on the ship (wtf was that?); however, the gameplay itself I found enjoyable.  I really don't get the complaints about the controls.  I had no issues other than what I've said in other threads about the odd combination of buttons you have to press for barrel rolls.  The shooting felt like any other TPS.

The major issue that no one seems to mention so it makes me wonder if you guys even played the entire demo (and the demo was only like 4 minutes long) was the camera when you are inside the buidling.  It was god awful.
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Linkyshinks: Gotcha. And yeah, Lost Planet 2 does look awesome.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By buzz_killington
@Rallier said:
"It's rather funny that now the DSiWare promotional faux retro game now seems better then the actual game. "

It's like Rearmed and Bionic Commando all over again!! Truly, this is the age of dissappointment from games which's development was overseen by Capcom US.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187
@Linkyshinks said:
"...this appears to be yet another fuck up from a Western Capcom branch. First Bionic Commando... "
Right...except Bionic Commando didn't suck...  I don't understand what people expected out of that game, but I enjoyed the shit out of it.  Maybe people should play on higher difficulty settings?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Cube

Never could see why people were into it in the first place. It looks half-baked.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turbomonkey138
@diz said:
" @dhuff said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @dhuff said:
I hate it when jerks criticize me for no apparent reason.  It makes them look petty. "
meh... "
way to prove my point :)
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422

I had really high hopes for the game, but after playing the demo I entirely felt almost every part of the gameplay felt entirely just not fun at all. I'm fairly disappointed. Oh well, I have too many games to check out this year anyway..guess that saves me one.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rowr

Well. I'm not going to judge without playing or seeing reviews but I had no investment in this game except for the hype it was given by the giantbomb staff early on.

What was that all about? I know the staff are very friendly with capcom.

Didnt they say in the recent podcast that the some of the eastern development were setting a dissapointed tone about the game?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix

Goddamnit.  I'll have to play the game myself, but what I was hoping would be the second coming of Crimson Skies appears to be a scattershot pastiche of a buncha mechanics that don't work.  I'll be watching the review front intently and pray my worst fears aren't realized.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slippy
@jakob187 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
"...this appears to be yet another fuck up from a Western Capcom branch. First Bionic Commando... "
Right...except Bionic Commando didn't suck...  I don't understand what people expected out of that game, but I enjoyed the shit out of it.  Maybe people should play on higher difficulty settings? "
It was one of my favourite games of this year (just a bit "low rent" to place on a top 10 list). They nailed the transition to 3D as far as i'm concerned - yes there are frustrating elements, but there are even more frustrating elements in the NES game, so why are people complaining? 
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By AlexB

Jeff will be disappointed, he was pretty psyched for this game, that is if it really is "meh" like you say. I really have no desire to play the demo or the game, so I guess we'll see in the reviews. 

BTW Meh is totally fine, asshole trolls often like to criticize to get a rise I suppose. Dun let 'em get to ya. lol

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thecleric

Disappointment? The game looked mediocre at best since the start. I can't imagine there was too many people excited about it. 

Seriously, of all the Capcom games coming out in 2010 it was the weakest, that's why I imagine theyre feeding it to the Darksiders/Bayonetta hounds and the Mass Effect colossus of January.