#1 Edited by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

Random thought I felt was perfect for the forums. Which developer (person not studio) do you think has the coolest/best sounding name?

Personally I think Warren Spector takes it but I'm really interested in what everyone else has to say.

Edited to specify person not studio where it was originally ambiguous.

#2 Posted by Catarrhal (860 posts) -
#3 Posted by ch3burashka (5263 posts) -

Are we talking about development people, or development 'houses'? I don't know too many dudes, but Cliff Bleszinski has a kick-ass Eastern European name.

As for houses, I don't even know. After a while, the word by which they go by becomes somewhat irrelevant, and becomes synonymous with the game they make. Words like "Bungie" and "Irrational" now correspond with "Halo" and "Bioshock" rather than "rubber band" and, well, "irrational". In that context, Mojang is a fairly new and non-American developer that is fun to say and doesn't correspond to a direct English word.

#4 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

I think you are pretty right on with Warren Spector. I can't think of a better one. Sounds, fittingly, like he could be a shady higher up agent in a secret government organization.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -
@ArtisanBreads said:

I think you are pretty right on with Warren Spector. I can't think of a better one. Sounds, fittingly, like he could be a shady higher up agent in a secret government organization.

No, no, no--he's got more of an evil CEO vibe.
#6 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

I think you are pretty right on with Warren Spector. I can't think of a better one. Sounds, fittingly, like he could be a shady higher up agent in a secret government organization.

No, no, no--he's got more of an evil CEO vibe.

See I think Bob Page sounds more like he belongs as a CEO, while they could of just used Warren Spector's name to be the villain in Deus Ex.

#7 Posted by Slab64 (1063 posts) -

Cosmitronique Studios (cc: )

#8 Posted by psylah (2187 posts) -

Spicy Horse

#9 Posted by Brendan (8174 posts) -

Judging by the responses I think this thread should have been more clear.

I don't care about developer names anyway. Y'know why? Wolf Blitzer.

WOLF BLITZER

#10 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Infinite Laser Dog

Linking is broken as usual, but I promise that I didn't make that up.

#11 Posted by Ottosmann (68 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, makers of fine products like my notebook: carbon, for those of you who don't know.

#12 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

You can always tell when people don't read the OP.

#13 Posted by Pr1mus (3956 posts) -

Gaben

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

American McGee

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -
@ArtisanBreads said:

You can always tell when people don't read the OP.

People didn't read the three sentences that were in no way explicit about whether he meant people or studios?
Online
#16 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

May we got to the Lang-Zone?

#17 Posted by two_socks (236 posts) -

Sega, Jeff Minter and Kojima

#18 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

People didn't read the three sentences that were in no way explicit about whether he meant people or studios?

It doesn't surprise me that people wouldn't read three sentences. I think we're all guilty of it at one point or another. However, I think based on his example it is pretty clear that he was talking about an individual person's name instead of a development studio's name. That being said:

@Dagbiker said:

American McGee

#19 Edited by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

@EvilTwin said:

@ajamafalous said:

People didn't read the three sentences that were in no way explicit about whether he meant people or studios?

It doesn't surprise me that people wouldn't read three sentences. I think we're all guilty of it at one point or another. However, I think based on his example it is pretty clear that he was talking about an individual person's name instead of a development studio's name. That being said:

@Dagbiker said:

American McGee

Yeah sorry about that. Boy am I glad I left that example. Anyway, fuck you cats are right about American McGee. His name is American McGee! Swery 65 is also a great answer.

#20 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

People Can Fly has a pretty good name. They made Bulletstorm.

#21 Posted by BaneFireLord (2958 posts) -

Person: Suda 51. Studio: Halfbrick.

#22 Posted by MaxxS (206 posts) -

Man some of you people are dense.

Regardless what you think of him, Phil Fish has a pretty chill name.

#23 Posted by sub_o (913 posts) -

Studio: From Software.

Because it messes your sentences up

#24 Edited by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

@MaxxS said:

Man some of you people are dense.

Regardless what you think of him, Phil Fish has a pretty chill name.

How dare them discuss studios with cool names.

#25 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

Warren Spector, hands down. If The Illusive Man had a name, it would be Warren Spector.

That's not even mentioning that he helped design the best game of all time, System Shock, which would lead to the second best game of all time, System Shock 2.

I'm fairly certain, but not positive, that System Shock was the first game with vertical camera tilt.

#26 Posted by MaxxS (206 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@MaxxS said:

Man some of you people are dense.

Regardless what you think of him, Phil Fish has a pretty chill name.

How dare them discuss studios with cool names.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just, there are people posting studio names after OP went back and edited his post to make it clear that this is about people, not studios.

#27 Posted by musclerider (597 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

Correct answer is Swery 65.

There are no other options.

#28 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

@MaxxS said:

@Skytylz said:

@MaxxS said:

Man some of you people are dense.

Regardless what you think of him, Phil Fish has a pretty chill name.

How dare them discuss studios with cool names.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just, there are people posting studio names after OP went back and edited his post to make it clear that this is about people, not studios.

I don't care if people want to throw in their studio favorites too as long as the person is there. Also that is a bit odd, I wonder if that is then people just reading title and posting at that point after my edit.

John Carmack for me is a close second behind Warren. There's also a bunch more cool ones like Sid Meier, Shinji Mikami, Shigeru Miyamoto, Michel Ancel, Suda 51...actually I think Suda 51 takes it over Swery 65. Anyway...

#29 Posted by believer258 (12216 posts) -

CD Projekt Red is a pretty cool name.

#30 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

You know what? This thread is an interesting study in forum psychology if anything else. Meta-value!

#31 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1206 posts) -
#32 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

Richard "Lord British" Garriott de Cayeux.

#33 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

Richard "Lord British" Garriott de Cayeux.

No fucking way, he changed his name after he got married last year apparently.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (7583 posts) -

id

#35 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

You can always tell when people don't read the OP.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's kind of sad actually, the first post was only two lines.

Anyways, American Mcgee is a pretty crazy name.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

@BaconGames said:

@ShaggE said:

Richard "Lord British" Garriott de Cayeux.

No fucking way, he changed his name after he got married last year apparently.

I would too if I married someone with a name that cool. :P

#37 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

@Fearbeard said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

You can always tell when people don't read the OP.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's kind of sad actually, the first post was only two lines.

Anyways, American Mcgee is a pretty crazy name.

It's funny how many layers there are. At first they only had my example to go on and the ambiguity of the title and the first line. Then people within the thread started self policing but people didn't see that or didn't care and posted on their merry way with studio names or both. Then I saw that and edited the original post and now the responses with studio names must mean they didn't read the post or gleaned the first couple responses and posted a studio name because they did but they only did because the original post was ambiguous. Like I said, psychology in effect.

#38 Posted by dudeglove (8315 posts) -

LJN?

#39 Posted by BaconGames (3582 posts) -

@two_socks said:

Sega, Jeff Minter and Kojima

Jeff Minter is a good one. As much of a great knucklehead as he is, Eric Pope is also a great name.

#40 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

I think that Hideo Kojima is a pretty cool name. If I developed an Japanese anime/manga series, that would be the name of my protagonist.

#41 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

Gathering Of Developers