Differences between Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Trying to get my little brother to play something competativly with me. I have a copy of MK 2 and Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Which of these games would be more approachable to novice who just wants to have a good time?

projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By projectino

Why not both? Street fighter 2 plays better but he might like mk2 more.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

MK2, if you play street fighter 2 he'll just end up doing kicks and jumping kicks, won't be able to do hadokens, shoryukens etc, and he'll end up getting mad

Show him some MK basics like uppercuts, Scorpion's spear and teleport, Sub-Zero's ice attacks, should be enough for him to not get frustrated

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Start with MK and move on to SF2 for all the reasaons FLStyle mentioned. His age and dexterity have a lot to do with this decision. MK is the safe bet.

As an aside, maybe consider a fighting game that has both co-op and vs. It's a nice way to practice. Tekken Tag has a co-op vs AI mode for example.

Sometimes, especially for brothers (trust) it can be hard to pick things up when it's just versus. It's easy to get demoralized or bored or feel stuck. Just a thought!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

MK is very new player friendly I think so I would go that way.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One is great, one is a gimmicky one trick pony. I'll let you figure out which is which

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Both are great for their own reasons, and often cater to a different crowd. Play both with him and find out which he gels with. It's win win!

Avatar image for theindomitablesnowman
TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're both fantastic games, but I'd start with MKII because, well, it's not turbo speed. It's also easier to learn basic attacking, since everyone shares the same normals. Not sure how much your little brother should be playing Mortal Kombat, but I was playing it at a way too young age too. It's an American tradition, really.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

One is great, one is a gimmicky one trick pony. I'll let you figure out which is which

That's not a very nice way to talk about Street Fighter 2!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

SF2 is very approachable by virtually anyone which is why it's easily the best fighting game of all time (though turbo could make it more troublesome, I think people in this thread are projecting a bit though). MK2 is a fine game as well and the motions are a little simpler.