digital games awful for colletors?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By banishedsoul1

I've been getting more and more games over the months. After i got my bros ps3 for 65$ i made my mind up to never trade in a game unless i hate it. I looked back on all the awsome games i had. But then i ask...where did they go? Gone! gave them away! sold,trade,lent ect but its all the same they are gone.

The future is cloud gaming and digital downloads. My guess is hard copies have maybe 10 years left to life. In the future there will be no real collections. None at all just short cuts on some kind of computing machine.

Every game you buy will be locked down. Hate the game? guess what! you can't get any of your money back.... want to lend a game to a friend? guess what! you can't! you want to trade a game with a friend? yep thats right you can't.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By banishedsoul1

I've been getting more and more games over the months. After i got my bros ps3 for 65$ i made my mind up to never trade in a game unless i hate it. I looked back on all the awsome games i had. But then i ask...where did they go? Gone! gave them away! sold,trade,lent ect but its all the same they are gone.

The future is cloud gaming and digital downloads. My guess is hard copies have maybe 10 years left to life. In the future there will be no real collections. None at all just short cuts on some kind of computing machine.

Every game you buy will be locked down. Hate the game? guess what! you can't get any of your money back.... want to lend a game to a friend? guess what! you can't! you want to trade a game with a friend? yep thats right you can't.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Legend

Yeah, I've been buying digital games mostly in the past couple of years. I do miss having a nice game collection sitting on my shelves.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SexyToad

I hate myself for getting some digital games. I miss that feeling of having an actual collection of games.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

I still buy games that I believe are worth collecting, so I don't feel too bad. The luxury of having nearly all my games in one or two clients is a very nice thing.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zekhariah

True, but with the digital side of things it seems like backwards computability and continuous user accounts between new devices is assured (even on consoles now). If it keep up that way, and efforts are made in that direction, actually playing those old games is easier.

I.e. Nintendo 64 controller springs on the stick kind of go out of calibration fast. But if that whole library was on Wii U.....

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

lol

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

yeah, it's pretty bad. i feel bad thinking about how things are going digital in the future. for the collectors out there aren't going to have games say in 2030.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pw2566ch

I've been having that feeling of incompleteness lately. Awhile back I purchased a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. I'm glad I have a physical copy of it to show off on my shelf. However, if I ever buy a PS Vita, then I can't play it on there unless I pay $10 for another copy. I want a PS Vita, but I don't want to re-buy my games. It would be awesome if they had sales on PSP games. Maybe I should just put $20 a month towards purchasing digital PSP games.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By foggel

Maybe it'll end up like vinyl did. You can buy it in that format for a steep price if you're a collector.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pw2566ch

@Zekhariah said:

True, but with the digital side of things it seems like backwards computability and continuous user accounts between new devices is assured (even on consoles now). If it keep up that way, and efforts are made in that direction, actually playing those old games is easier.

I.e. Nintendo 64 controller springs on the stick kind of go out of calibration fast. But if that whole library was on Wii U.....

The only sad part is that when it comes to the Nintendo 3DS, there are no accounts. All games are tied to the device. I wonder if it's the same thing for the Wii?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrockNRolla

If you're collecting because you think archiving this sort of stuff is important... Great! That makes sense. But if you don't have some sort of historical interest, why does it matter if you have a collection of old games you'll almost certainly never play again?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mandude

I have a collection of digital games. They're fantastic. You know which games I'll be able to play if I go on holidays, move country, or my house burns down in a horrible fire? My digital ones. <3

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sprode

I like, you know, owning what I buy. The convenience is nice, but it isn't the same handling a physical copy like it often isn't the same playing on a different platform.

Mere data is subject to too many whims for my liking.