Discrimination of video games! How men are displayed as children.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By Stefan

Two weeks ago we (my English class at a German University) received an excerpt of a text which we were meant to translate into English. 
Though the task had nothing to do with the article's contents I was still quite mad that my teacher picked such a stupid text for an exercise. 
I know that the article was published in the "Berliner Morgenpost" on January 29th 2010, however I couldn't find out who the author was. 

Well here goes my mostly accurate translation: 
Obviously we are the first generation who find it adequate to spend our spare time with children's games. Having grown up with the GameBoy, 
now playing with the PS3. Approximately 520 million Euros [689 mio USD] were spend by adult men on video games in 2008. Almost 170 million Euros more  
than the twelve to seventeen year olds to whom the offer was initially aimed.  
US sociologist Benjamin Barber named this phenomenon "kidults" a composition of the English words 'kid' and 'adult'. With that he describes people who want to artificially 
prolong their youth. The glorification of childhood memories is conform with our Zeitgeist as researchers of the 'Zukunftsintitut' [lit. future institute] in Kelkheim 
affirmed as well. Life is less defined than it used to be and we have a lot of freedoms today. And uncertainties.  
"We don't want to realize that once we reached our mid 30th our lives can no longer be about what we decide not to do, but rather about what we decide to do. 
And since we are no masters of this art, we rather don't grow up." says Volker Marquardt, author of "Das Wissen der 35-Jährigen"[lit. the knowlege of  
the 35-year olds].

In my opinion this article is completely ridiculous. Of cause adults buy most of the video game, not only for themselves but also for their children.  
And labeling video games as child games is over the top stupidity. Jesus, this article really is really getting me worked up :-P  
Except for the part were it says that our lives are less defined than they used to be I think the whole article is garbage. 

Please let me know what you guys, my fellow GB community, thinks. Though I am expecting a more or less one sided discussion I am happy to read about all 
of your opinions, even if they differ from mine. 

Trav_McNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Trav_McNasty

A lot of the older generation are ingorant of the newer generation, it's really their stupidity. If they can watch TV and feel "mature" and "adult" then we can play video games and feel the same way. When the newer generation starts having kids they will be much less ignorant as they will either be playing games or remember playing games and so won't discriminate against their children if they play games as they get older.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

The article is partially correct.
The "kidults" are indeed one of the demographics, while they (dare I say we) are certainly not the only type of adult person who buy games part of the phsycological factor is there.
It is exactly the same as reading fantasy and science fiction books or watching action movies which we know can never be true or possible but are cool. It is a very crude term to be sure.
There is nothing to be offended about however.

Sometimes I think gamers themselves are making too much of a big deal out of stuff like this.
Shocker.