Do I need to buy an arcade stick controller for SSF4?

DorianGray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By DorianGray

Well as the topic title states do I need to buy an arcade stick controller for Super Street Fighter 4 or should I just buy one of the Madcatz Street Fighter controllers instead? I am sorry if this is a stupid question ,but I am new to the franchise.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

What are you most comfortable with? That is the chief (nay, only) concern you should have. 

I grew up playing on both arcade cabinets as well as at home on the Genesis. Oddly enough with SF4 I tried playing on an arcade stick and... nothing. In fact, I played 4x worse on a stick than I did with the gamepad. For me, it was a $100+ crapshoot that turned out to be a roll on snake eyes. I went back to the gamepad, and continued to perform as to be expected of my level. 

Don't believe the hype. Arcade sticks are not essential to high level play, they just make it look fancy.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

It's a preference so no one can answer it but you. IF you really want to get to really high level of play though and are willing to put in alot of practice in then by all means get the stick. If you don't care to be up there then you don't need either. There are plenty of pad warriors doing very well.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Hosstile17

Try a fight pad first. I own a fight pad and a tournament stick and can perform well with both.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By raviolisumo

PS3 you can get by alright with a regular controller, 360 no way. Try a fightpad for that.

DorianGray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By DorianGray

Thanks for the advice  I will definetly go with the fight pad controller instead of the arcade stick when I buy my copy of SSF4.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Scooper
@Wes899 said:
" PS3 you can get by alright with a regular controller, 360 no way. Try a fightpad for that. "
360 thumbstick is fine for play. DPAD no way.