Do you think downloading and emulating games in wrong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For older games because im attempting to play through Final Fantasy 6 for first time everyone is telling me the best version of the game is the gba version emulated with Color Restoration Hack patch and Sound Restoration Hack patched into the rom then played since it will give you all the extra content and improvements with look of snes and sound of snes.

lachrymoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on where your personal boundaries are. For me, if I own a legit copy of a game then I don't feel bad downloading a rom or anything.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bcooper21

Clearly i would be happy to buy the game its just the definitive edition of game requires emulating.

I have no problem buying the games i got FF4 complete edition on vita from psn store but the FF6 game on ps1 just sucks balls and has long load times.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bcooper21

@lachrymoses said:

It depends on where your personal boundaries are. For me, if I own a legit copy of a game then I don't feel bad downloading a rom or anything.

Roms and hacks are actually quite good in alot of cases i mean look at mother 3 and mother 1 they are playable in English only because fans did it without roms english users would have only got earth bound if not for that emulating community.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you own the game there's nothing wrong with emulating it so you can play it with fan translations or other patches.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I think you misunderstood my post, which is a joke that means "No I don't think there's anything wrong with emulating" but I do think what you've been told is some kind of nonesense goose chase. If you really believe that's the "right version" - just do it. Too much work for me though and I prefer the SNES version in pretty much every way.

Have you contemplated buying a SNES?

Neither a SNES nor FF6 are expensive. Just a thought... it opens the door to many SNES games that otherwise you would have to emulate.

If you don't want a SNES, and you don't want the PS1 version, and you don't want the Android version, and you don't have a GBA... what are we even doing here? Are you really hung up on morality?

Ultimately it's effort vs money vs your hangs ups about versioning.

I always preferred A) the real deal and B) not messing around with ROM shit. Just easier to own the game and have a sweet old system.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the game is no longer available as anything other than a used game and no digital store anywhere sells it? Then no not really, don't see a problem. It isn't like paying an insane premium for some rare cart is putting money in the hands of people who made the game. Some stuff you may not be able to find otherwise period. Also if you own the game in question... well you own a legal copy there so no there is definitely no problem with having it.

Some games you can get on emulators were also never legally made available in the US for example to begin with. You want to play original Persona 2 in english? Well you can emulate it with a fan patch.... or not play it in english. Your call. That said is it okay to emulate some old Genesis game like Landstalker because you are too cheap to buy it on Steam for like a dollar? No.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The community rules prohibit discussions of illegal activity, especially those that advocate for it. I realize that when it comes to emulation there are some gray areas, but regardless of what you might personally consider acceptable, software piracy and any circumvention of copyrights is a crime and is not an appropriate topic of discussion for the Giant Bomb forums.