Do you think that Miyamoto, Kojima, etc. take too much credit?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

While I'm sure these guys serve huge roles (not so much miyamoto, but kojima and especially sakaguchi does) but you know, when people recite to these companies, especially kojima and nintendo, they pretty much give credit towards those two.  What about all the people who made the game?  There's tons of guys on the team and while, sure, Kojima does most likely hold a meaningful position, don't you guys think that largely the strength of the company lies in  the company itself, especially some of the other lead producers as well?  Again, it's apparent that much of the sucess lies in with key people, look at mistwalker, but you know, Final Fantasy 13 doesn't look to shabby either and they lost quite few higher up employees.  

I dunno, but it's struck me that people give credit of MGS to Kojima while in reality its credit belongs to kojima productions, a company with over 200 people.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By subject2change

I think Hideo Kojima is so god damn cocky and having his name plastered 400 times in all the Metal Gear Solid games makes me hate him so damn much.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Matt_

I think what people credit to them is not the finished product but the vision and design that is built. Metal Gear Solid, for instance, wouldn't be what it is without Kojima's crazy ideas. It's not to say the game, but the story/characters/plot of the games.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

I don't know why you put Miyamoto's name here since you pretty much only talked about Kojima. I'm not really a MGS fan so I can't say much on that part but wasn't Miyamoto producing games back in the day? I'm pretty sure he's just a visionary these days and cranking out WiiMusic and things but wasn't he like the lead designer or producer on games like Ice Climbers and Legend of Zelda?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Matt_ said:
I think what people credit to them is not the finished product but the vision and design that is built. ... [more]
But you really think he's the only one with these ideas? You don't think there's any group brainstorming?  And the thing is, even so, there's many games that surpass MGS in terms of story.  It's more so than package people care about in MGS's case.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Matt_ said:
I think what people credit to them is not the finished product but the vision and design that is built. ... [more]
But you really think he's the only one with these ideas? You don't think there's any group brainstorming?  And the thing is, even so, there's many games that surpass MGS in terms of story.  It's more so than package people care about in MGS's case.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can't forget the guys behind the music. Uematsu and Kondo deserve ALL the credit.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Video_Game_King said:
Can't forget the guys behind the music. Uematsu and Kondo deserve ALL the credit.

That's a different case though.  One person usually does the music alone, if not several who make individual songs.
Granted, technically there's the orchestra as well, but they're not really being creative but just playing what's in front of them. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

No. There needs to be more big names in the industry so you can tell when you're getting a bum deal or not. Resident Evil should have always been put out there as a Shinji Mikami game so we could have already lowered out expectations for RE5.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
SmugDarkLoser said:
Video_Game_King said: Can't forget the guys behind the music. Uematsu and Kondo deserve ALL the credit. That's a different case ... [more]
Still, that is one case of gaming deities deserving all the praise they get. Also, artists (Nomura, Amano, Inafune, etc.).
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By alexl86

I don't think most of them take too much credit themselves, but rather it's the press, the companies and the people who buy the games that use them to promote, which tends to leave them with most, if not all of the credit for the games themselves.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

Yes, especially if you add in a guy named Cliffy B.

It's obviously part of the marketing, and depending on the person they have done some really profound things, but all these 'heroes' of the industry are overrated.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FCKSNAP

When you talk about Kojima and MGS you are talking about all the crazy ideas and story and basic design of a game. It's not like anyone's saying "DAMN KOJIMA! THESE PHYSICS ARE DA BOMB FO SHO YO HOMIE G DOGG. GOOD LOOKIN OUT ON THAT SAVE SYSTEM"

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'm surprised at seeing so many people react negatively to the idea of praising people as figureheads in the games industry. It's not like it's a bad thing for the film industry to market things as a James Cameron film or for a TV series to be a J.J. Abrams production, for example. It's not like anyone's claiming they are the only people involved.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Personally I don't think it's such a big deal. They deserve some recognition for their work. Sure, I suppose the people that work for them do also, but they're probably getting paid enough themselves that they don't mind so much.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By webby

Kojima is a genius, maybe the rest of the team don't get enough credit but he knows what hes talking about.

swiftor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swiftor

Even if he didn't seem to accept all the credit, he'd get it anyway.  The same way the president will get the credit for the economy doing better or getting worse, even though many others are involved.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero
SmugDarkLoser said:
Matt_ said: I think what people credit to them is not the finished product but the vision and design that ... [more]
Name some.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Mushir

Its not THEM taking to much credit. Its that WE are giving them too much credit.

But I do feel like they do deserve a lot of the praise they get. They are true masterminds. I mean Miyamoto saved the video game industry with Mario.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By kashif1

They were the ones with the vision so they got all the credit.