Do you think that the companies milked the Music games to death?

rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rubsnick

Was reading about how activision canceled Guitar Hero and that the music genre is in decline.... I personally think they just released too much too fast overwhelmed the people and people said "screw it" Why buy it now when it'll be cheap within 6 months. I personally think that They killed it.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Hosstile17

The topic has been dredged a bit since the fall of '09. But, yeah. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Aus_azn

Yep, obviously. Launching a whole new game when it's essentially just minor added content to the old game which could have been achieved through DLC is a way to the grave. Only one company pulled this off, and that's Valve with Left 4 Dead 2.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Pretty much. That's what I did with the games, and I was able to get Guitar Hero III (bundled with a guitar) and Guitar Hero Metallica for about $55. Two whole games and a goofy fake guitar, for less than the cost of one of those games new.  

Speaking of which, has Warriors of Rock gone on sale yet? Gotta make sure I save enough money on it to make up for having to pay for Soundgarden DLC. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Aus_azn said:
" Yep, obviously. Launching a whole new game when it's essentially just minor added content to the old game which could have been achieved through DLC is a way to the grave. Only one company pulled this off, and that's Valve with Left 4 Dead 2. "
Pretty much this, only with the added exception of Madden, along with 90% of sports games :P.
rubsnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By rubsnick

The only reason L4D 2 even lasted is because the DLC is free. (PC)

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scapegoat

I like to think that it was always destined to be a fad. Did Activisions mass release of games cause the fad to die quicker? Possibly. But speaking as someone who only really played the Harmonix games (started with GH2, played GH3 until RB released here, RB2, now RB3), looking back I can see that my passion for these games now has waned significantly from say 18 months ago. I still play RB3 and enjoy it, but for different reasons and very much in a different way to how I enjoyed Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Akrid

"The companies" 

It's amazing how many things in my daily life make me think of this song.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By iam3green

yes,  i think so. they released to much to fast i think. they could have just made everything DLC for the songs. all they really put into the game was new songs, new characters, new multiplayer things. i think rock band is good because they didn't release them to fast. they just released a new one with the keyboard.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

Isn't it obvious?  With Acti-Bliz shutting down the GH division, Harmonix sold off for $50 (plus liability) and MTV Games dissolved, the music genre was overly saturated and lost its ability to attract game enthusiasts, meaning gamers who'll stick with a series after the fly-by-night mass market has lost interest.  Once you loose the core, the whole thing collapses as was the case here.  I still believe that some rhythm games can find an audience (say on the Iphone) but the days of the plastic instrument are over.   

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By nikral

Short answer : Yes 
Long answer : Definitely

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Zlimness
Well yes I do think they milked it to death. But only in the sense that I think they took everything they could out of the genre before it collapsed. You could say it died off because it was the same thing over and over. But I also think people became bored of the idea of playing the instruments in a video game. It was a thing for a few years but people have moved on to new ones. Same thing will probably happen to motion controls in a few years. Nothing lasts forever.
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum

Yep, and now Kotick will do the same to COD, I think at some point this year there will be a interview with him saying that he envisions COD dedicated hardware being sold, monthly fees and all that stuff he loves.

Not that I care though.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By danimal_furry

Nope. I think they cashed in on a fad, and made off like bandits. It's the same effect as in Hollywood, where an actor gets hot and stars in 80 movies in 5 years before they dissappear for a little while.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marcsman

Yep milked worse than Gaylord Focker's cat.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By valrog
They have no-

@Hosstile17 said:
" They have no one to blame but themselves. "
Well, this.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

Activison sure did.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By choffy21

Think? Wasn't it just proven?...

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By melcene

Yes. 

Activision released six GH games, not including the handheld games, and not including Band Hero or DJ hero, all within a year and a half. 

That's way too many, way too quickly, and as I said yesterday, this is part of the reason for the downfall.  They completely oversaturated the market way too quick with games that were of mediocre quality. 

The other reason though is that much like with many other things in pop culture, the younger crowds jumped on the band wagon as soon as liking music games became cool, and hopped right back off as soon as it wasn't "cool" anymore.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@drag said:
" No, not really. It was always going to be a short-lived novelty  "
I agree with this, it's not something that was ever going to remain popular, though I will agree that the constant release of Guitar Hero games likely killed it a lot sooner.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

I think the bigger question from this is, why isn't the same happening with the Modern Military Shooter?   

We get just as many as those, but it keeps selling.  I guess it could do with the fact that music games cost much more at the end of the end user. 

Oh well, never bought one music game this generation so I got no feelings towards it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Skald

Well let me see. We've had at least two Music Hero games coming out the last x years, plus one Rock Band game and now we have zero. 

It's like a tiny, self-contained market crash.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By nintendoeats

There was not room for two sets of music games. I really hope that Harmonix can pull through and pretty much run things as they have been. With RB3 out, it seems like they could just pump out DLC and everybody would be happy.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Black_Rose

The genre was milked even before the first GH came out. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

Harmonix did it too with Rock Band, so not just Valve being able to pull that off. 

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoLines

I was amazed that a silly little genre like "rythm games" can be made into such a colossal money making machine.
It just shows you that if you have an idea, and you're creative, you can transform anything into the latest fad.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brians

Yes, and also Yes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

Can I say it's very much that Activision who milked the music game genre to death? There were probably two too many Rock Band games (I would've happily sacrificed Unplugged and Green Day to protect the genre from devastation,) but Activision just didn't understand the DLC model at all and released WAY too many games. 

I looked at the WoR setlist and went "Man...I really want to play Stray Cat Blues and Children of the Grave, but I want to NEVER play 50% of this setlist!" The DLC model prevents this, and if I don't want the second Bob Marley pack on Rock Band, I can just not pick it up...but I still have the option to pick up the London Calling DLC the week before. Trying to make a full disc of about nine songs (maximum) per genre is never going to work. 

Hopefully, there's a comeback in 2012, but I think even Harmonix needs to take a year off of Rock Band and figure out a career progression that makes it appealing as an actual game.

Fishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fishstick

Is this a rhetorical question?

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By rjpelonia

If by "companies" you mean Activision, then yes.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#33  Edited By donutfever

Yes. It's like what people have been saying for 2 or 3 years now: Milking a small amount of franchises and doing little new works great short term, but people get bored quickly. Tony Hawk, Spiderman, and GH are don't do what they used to, so Activision is going to be relying on one franchise and Blizzard. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By MysteriousBob
@RiotBananas said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" Yep, obviously. Launching a whole new game when it's essentially just minor added content to the old game which could have been achieved through DLC is a way to the grave. Only one company pulled this off, and that's Valve with Left 4 Dead 2. "
People that think L4D2 could have been achieved through DLC are morons. "
Agreed. I thought we got past the whole "LEFT 4 DEAD 2 SHOULD BE DLC OMG VALVE ARE CASH WHORES" thing when the game came out. L4D2 was better in everyway. Even the best level from L4D1 is available for 2. People are fucking insane if they think all the new levels, enemies and gameplay enhancements could have been DLC. Its a new game and has more changes than your average FPS sequel.
p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By p_p_o_d

activision killed GH by milking it to death. 

Harmonix killed rockband by being so xbox 360 centric.     if they put more effort into the ps3 and Wii versions of rockand 1 and 2 and released them in european closer to the US release they wouldnt be in such a mess now IMO. 

I mean they had a super casual music game.   The ps3 and Wii already had a market for that with games like singstar which are big in europe.  Harmoix gambled with the xbox and chose to realese xbox versions of there games Months before the other versions and in the end there games didnt sell in europe beacuse of this.   

and yeah releaseing 6 spin off games and "track packs" a year didnt help.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aus_azn
@MysteriousBob said:
" @RiotBananas said:

" @Aus_azn said:

People that think L4D2 could have been achieved through DLC are morons. "
Agreed. I thought we got past the whole "LEFT 4 DEAD 2 SHOULD BE DLC OMG VALVE ARE CASH WHORES" thing when the game came out. L4D2 was better in everyway. Even the best level from L4D1 is available for 2. People are fucking insane if they think all the new levels, enemies and gameplay enhancements could have been DLC. Its a new game and has more changes than your average FPS sequel. "
I actually feel the opposite: L4D2's levels are putrid compared to those of the original. There's a far more instinctive style to the first that allows the player to progress. I found myself often running into dead ends in L4D2.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Brendan

Sure, but I don't think the fad was going to last much longer anyway.  

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By crusader8463

Nah! They only released the same game with a couple new songs once a month.