Does Giantbomb still have news?

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rasmoss

There hasn't been a bonafide news story for a week, even with SimCitygate raging everywhere. I guess everyone's been busy cranking out shows, and that's great, but it seems they are slowing down the news coverage.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@rasmoss:

I think Patrick's interview podcasts sort of qualifies as news. Also his Worth Reading articles. But there hasn't be newsy-news in a while. Maybe 3-4 articles a week.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think you nailed it, there hasn't been a bonafide news story for week. Period. Nothing's happening in games right now. Come back after GDC and PAX.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really need them on the site honestly, there's a million different sites that report every little thing

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Gruebacca

Giantbomb specializes in video content, not news stories, especially the ones that publish every single next-gen hardware rumor. They also write the occasional editorial, but that's not really considered news.

I think Worth Reading does an excellent job of linking to all kinds of video-game-related stuff including, news, editorials, essays, videos, and just random shit that Giantbomb either can't or wishes not to handle. If you want a well-rounded coverage of the video games world you'll have to visit all sorts of sites.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

Alex is on vacation and he covers most of the news the gb bothers with.

Normall service should resume next week.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Winternet

For more on these and other news from the world of video games check out giantbomb.com?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

It's good that they're posting nothing. If they were posting something, it would just be some kotaku style time wasting article designed to fill the gap in news. There's really nothing going on right now.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Gotta admit, I don't miss the news. Most of it was just summations of stuff found written better and more in depth elsewhere. I think Patrick's podcasts and Alex's commentary are the right direction to take News for this site. That is at least is unique content to Giant Bomb plus far less forum flamewars. Everybody wins.

anyway I mainly come here for games and good times.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The podcast on Tuesday covers up all the news of the last week really. So does Worth Reading. And all of the other things like the Live Shows cover everything else for me. WHO NEEDS READING NOWADAYS. GB is all about "holding everything in and then letting it all out at once" sort of site, with their video content.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

By the time GB puts up news...it's usually been seen elsewhere.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nictel

Check your calender. No games. There is a reason there are a gazillion sim city articles on kotaku. I am happy that it isn't like that here.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I usually just check the forums for breaking news since they work 24/7.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Wait a week or two.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Tylea002

GB isn't about instant news, Alex provides the important bullet points with his trademark dry commentary, and Patrick does researched, in depth features.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jozzy

I like news, and I think Patrick is supposed to uncover the scoops? It's pretty clear that he has a source somewhere at Activision, but not sure if he actually goes out of his way to try to do investigative journalism.

I can do without posts about Tombraiders multiplayer DLC though...