Does lack of camera control really bother you?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

Personally, I was never bothered by a camera control in third person brawler action game. 

In fact, I would go even further by saying having a camera control bothered me more.  

The God of War series being the best third person action game that does not force you to have a cameral control allows the developer to show only the best side, which is not a bad thing. 

Castlevania; Lord of Shadow does the same thing. 

The only third person action game with the camera control that I enjoy is the DMC series but that still has lots of problems. 

I would rather play a game that forces you to not have a camera control rather than a game with a broken camera camera control.  

what do you guys think? Does lack of camera control really bother you?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

It does in Heavy Rain, but aside from that no.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By oatz

If done as well as in God of War, no.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@oatz said:
" If done as well as in God of War, no. "
This.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

Only if not having it interferes with my enjoyment of the game due to a terrible camera.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Not really, most games have it fixed nowadays or at least the error margin is so small I don't give a crap if it happens.

My most recent would be Metroid Other M, great camera system, no crap with adjusting it to get to see the action, it just wants you to enjoy the ride!

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Depends on the game. Silent Hill, God of War and Eternal Darkness benefit from having a fixed camera.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yoctoyotta

Fixed vs. controllable camera all comes down to the game's overall design. I thought MGS4 and Uncharted 2 made superb use of controllable cameras, allowing you to use the environment to your advantage, engage enemies that are coming at you from all directions from very greatly differing distances (not just surrounding you like in God of War), and it allows you to admire the environment as a cohesive whole if you're into that sort of thing.

On the other hand, fixed cameras allow designers to present very effective, directed visual experiences and game play set pieces that would not be possible with a controllable camera, such as God of War, older Metal Gear Solids, older Resident Evils, and most RPGs.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ohhhhhhhhh fuck yeah it does !!!!

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Jambones
@BulletproofMonk said:
" @oatz said:
" If done as well as in God of War, no. "
This. "
Yeah, GoW seems to get it right. Most games that have camera controls feel a bit cumbersome to me. Having said that, in a game like Forza 3 I'd really like some better camera management: it's like driving with horse blinkers on.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By crusader8463

Yes and no. If they take the time to design each level and the way the camera moves while you are in that level correctly you don't need it in most games. If at any time however I find myself unable to see what I need to in order to react to it properly then yes, it immediately frustrates me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

Depends on the game. The old school RE's fixed camera angles I think helped pile on the tension and atmosphere and made for some beautiful scenery shots.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jasta
@KaosAngel said:
" It does in Heavy Rain, but aside from that no. "

That drove me crazy.

As long as the camera is at a sensible angle for the situation your in it doesint bother me. Trying to look for things in heavy rain was so much more difficult due to the odd angles it kept swapping between, for visual effect or not it was damn frustrating. 

paulm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By paulm

camera control is important to me but i do think that games wear they take control of the camera often show off the graphics better

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Raymayne

Depends on the game, but mainly no I don't really care.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vodun

As long as it is handled correctly either is fine. The choice between the two should be a strictly aesthetic one, rather than "which is less of a hassle for the player".

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By zidd

The platforming sections in God of War are twice as annoying because of the shitty camera. I like how they love to show the most cinematic camera angles but those are not always the same as ones that are helpful to have when making careful jumps.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By whacknasty

Generally it does...I guess the first few games that had camera control spoiled me, so now whenever a game doesn't have it I am immediately questioning if I even want to attempt finishing it... (same thing with a dedicated jump button/no jumping at all...I need to be free to jump at all times...even if it does lead to my demise...lol)

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It depends. For the most part in the God of War games the auto-camera works fine. But then there's stuff like No More Heroes 2, which removed the camera control that the first one had (well, aside from one brief bit in one level), and I found that rather disgruntling. 

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Espada12

Sometimes, I like spinning cameras to look at scenery and for those one or two odd times where the camera is just terribly placed and I'm getting owned because of it.

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21  Edited By Somadude

Only if the lack of control leads to me looking at a wall instead of the guy I'm trying to kill.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60

Depends on the game. Some games with no camera control drive me nuts.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rockanomics

I think the consensus is the only time you want camera control is when the camera is doing something stupid.