Downloading games

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

After seeing the sweet footage from Blizzcon, I decided I needed to play a Blizzard game and I decided to get the Warcraft III battlechest from Amazon.  When the game got to me, I was all excited (I even took a "personal day" off from work).  Well, to my disappointment, neither the WCIII disk or the Frozen throne disk would install.  I had corrupted disks.  Well, after a bit of being bummed, I decided to look at the Blizzard site and somehow I ended up on Battle.net.  I signed up and registered my keys, and low and behold--I could download the games directly to my HD and play the game without the disk.   This just blew my mind and is totally awesome. 

I know that Steam lets you download games to any computer (and even savegames), but I'm been out the the PC gaming scene for the past 4 years, and my newest computer is a Macbook pro--so my gaming options were very limited.  So I was shocked that in this day of DRM and limited activations, a company would just let you download a game and play without the disk.  This is the way all PC games should be.  I always hated the requirement of having the disk in the CD tray to play a game.  Steam, and Blizzard have managed to move away from that, and it's awesome. 

Hope Blizzard continues the downloading/no cd thing for Starcraft II and Diablo III.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer

After seeing the sweet footage from Blizzcon, I decided I needed to play a Blizzard game and I decided to get the Warcraft III battlechest from Amazon.  When the game got to me, I was all excited (I even took a "personal day" off from work).  Well, to my disappointment, neither the WCIII disk or the Frozen throne disk would install.  I had corrupted disks.  Well, after a bit of being bummed, I decided to look at the Blizzard site and somehow I ended up on Battle.net.  I signed up and registered my keys, and low and behold--I could download the games directly to my HD and play the game without the disk.   This just blew my mind and is totally awesome. 

I know that Steam lets you download games to any computer (and even savegames), but I'm been out the the PC gaming scene for the past 4 years, and my newest computer is a Macbook pro--so my gaming options were very limited.  So I was shocked that in this day of DRM and limited activations, a company would just let you download a game and play without the disk.  This is the way all PC games should be.  I always hated the requirement of having the disk in the CD tray to play a game.  Steam, and Blizzard have managed to move away from that, and it's awesome. 

Hope Blizzard continues the downloading/no cd thing for Starcraft II and Diablo III.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

Yay! I like downloads too.