Dragon Age 2, Gamestop, Marketing in general...

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I popped into my local Gamestop last Monday with the intention of pre-ordering Dragon Age 2: Signature edition.  I rarely pre-order games, in this case I thought it was worth it.  I walked up to the desk and ask for a copy.  The clerk looks up from whatever he is doing, and responds " Na, I think that's over."  I had been looking at this game online not an hour previously, so was pretty sure it was still up for grabs.  The clerk replies again with "Nope."   It was made quite clear that he would not be checking, or even leaving the comfort of his chair.  I left Gamestop kind of ticked.  

I have been thinking about this over the last week or so.  First, I'm a little bummed that I won't get my free(ish) day one DLC.  Second, I may or may not buy this game within its launch window.  This pre-oreder was on a bit of an impulse, there is a small chance I may not get the game at all. 

Here is the part that really made me confused.  This is a multi-million dollar game, with a marketing budget that would boggle the mind.  Yet a cog in EA and BioWare's marketing machine depends on the apathetic bum behind the desk at your local game store.   

I'm self employed, in my business this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable.  At no point is business turned away, no matter how trivial.  Obviously this is different, but I'm still a little confused.  

What do you think Bombers?  Is this a small oversight, or disturbing trend?  Perhaps, somewhere in the middle.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By MEATBALL

Sounds like the customer service was terrible, but Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition pre-orders did end on the 11th of January.

Edit: Just realised you said last Monday, meaning it would have been before the arbitrary cut-off. Welp, that's stupid.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti
@xXxLYNCHxXx:
It's par for the course.
The guy is not getting paid enough to care.
If you were right on the pre order date, complain to the manager and say they lost  a sale.  

@MEATBALL said:

" Sounds like the customer service was terrible, but Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition pre-orders did end on the 11th of January. "

Last Monday was 10th I believe so he was right.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Aus_azn

Gamestop has some of the most ignorant employees that I've ever seen. No offence to any of you blokes who may work there, but I have 7 Gamestops within driving distance of my house. Only one has employees that are actually helpful and/or tolerable depending on shift. Everyone else just seems so ignorant and uncaring. I have caught them lying about preorder deals before, including one time when they cheesed off and refused to give me my preorder bonus for Forza 3. Surely enough, that escalated into one huge argument.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By dragonzord

Gamestop employees get paid minimum wage because they're easily replacable(just like ANY job related to 'I WANNA WORK IN VIDEO GAMEZ!'), and are threatened to get more numbers or their hours get cut without making commission. It's a miserable job that many people fall for. 

[quote]  At no point is business turned away, no matter how trivial. [/quote] 
Says who? If a person is acting entitled, I've turned people away at a job. You are not the only customer, you are replacable, and you aren't worth dealing with. I'm not saying you specifically, but most businesses don't employ 'the customer is always right.' because the average customer has become both spoiled and entitled, I thank god I don't work in retail anymore every day. It's such bullshit that generally nice people don't get good deals because they DONT abuse the system, where as dickheads can complain to get what they want. The consumer side is just as bad as the worker side.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@xXxLYNCHxXx said:
"    I popped into my local Gamestop last Monday with the intention of pre-ordering Dragon Age 2: Signature edition.  I rarely pre-order games, in this case I thought it was worth it.  I walked up to the desk and ask for a copy.  The clerk looks up from whatever he is doing, and responds " Na, I think that's over."  I had been looking at this game online not an hour previously, so was pretty sure it was still up for grabs.  The clerk replies again with "Nope."   It was made quite clear that he would not be checking, or even leaving the comfort of his chair.  I left Gamestop kind of ticked.        I have been thinking about this over the last week or so.  First, I'm a little bummed that I won't get my free(ish) day one DLC.  Second, I may or may not buy this game within its launch window.  This pre-oreder was on a bit of an impulse, there is a small chance I may not get the game at all.     Here is the part that really made me confused.  This is a multi-million dollar game, with a marketing budget that would boggle the mind.  Yet a cog in EA and BioWare's marketing machine depends on the apathetic bum behind the desk at your local game store.       I'm self employed, in my business this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable.  At no point is business turned away, no matter how trivial.  Obviously this is different, but I'm still a little confused.      What do you think Bombers?  Is this a small oversight, or disturbing trend?  Perhaps, somewhere in the middle. "
Then why not contact the district manager instead of posting on a forum. When ever I have had an issue the district manager fixed it.  

Just email gamestop. Tell them the store number you went to ask for the district managers number and inform them of what happened. Chances are he can fix it for you.  

One time I even got a guy fired because he pulled shit like that on me. 
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BigLemon

This is why I rarely make purchases from brick-and-mortar stores anymore. The hassle of dealing with the asinine employees just is not worth the trip. 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

I would have told him to get up off his ass and check.  I'm lucky, most of the people who work at my local Gamestop are actually pretty cool.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cincaid

Funny, I actually had a meeting with my staff yesterday, where I basicly told them that costumer service is their number one priority when they're working, otherwise they can go looking for another job if they can't be arsed to be friendly and helpful behind the counter. Even if I'm not the manager of a videogame store it's the same principle no matter what store you run.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
@BigLemon:  +1 

I got mine with release-day delivery from Amazon for one dollar.  I will do anything I have to do to hasten the demise of the cesspool known as Gamestop.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigLemon
@LordCmdrStryker: Amazon ftw.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrPockets000

No sarcasm at all: I truly feel sorry for those of you that have rude GameStop employees that ruin your experience there.  The GameStop in my town has some of the coolest people.  It sucks how one bad experience can permanently ruin your opinion on a place. 

@CrazyChris: Good man.  I also always try to put that emphasis on customer service.  You can have the best sales in the world but bad customer service will ruin it all.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese

Everything you just posted isn't relevent to the problem. EA, Bioware and Dragon Age 2 have absolutely nothing to do with your issue. You had a problem with one dick employee. Chances are pretty high that when you're dealing with a guy getting paid minimum wage you wont get fantastic service.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

i know what you mean. it happened to me before. they wouldn't let me get a game because i didn't preorder it. i just said what ever and went to a different store. it was wow: burning crusade, just to let you know. i should have preordered because it was a big game but still. i ended up going to another one a couple days later to get it. 

another thing happened to my friend. i went with him. some game just came out he didn't preorder it. he asked the girl cashier she said no. he asked if she can call up the one in the mall. she said no and that they are probably also sold out of copies. we said ok thanks. we end up going there for the heck of it to find out that they had one. he ended up buying the game there. 

there are three gamestop, best buy, walmart. they are right by each other driving distance. if one doesn't have the game then we go to another one.  there is no way of a game store not having a game. it's a bad company thing to not let a person buy a game because of a preoder. 

NZV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NZV

A guy being paid minimum wage doesn't give a shit about his crappy job. Story at 11.