Dynasty Warriors Online First Impressions

Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Devilkas

It's been a while since I've played a Dynasty Warriors game, but boredom has nudged me into trying Dynasty Warriors Online. 

After a couple of hours, a few things really stuck out to me:

• There's an overly long tutorial
  • The world is structure to that of the PSO/PSU games
  • The UI is unnecessarily hindered through layers of menus
  • Faction starting zones (I'm not sure if there are multiple starting zones) are presented fairly well by named characters from the franchise
  • There's no real persistent character leveling
  • Joining instances with other players doesn't seem too different from playing by yourself, it just gets the job down faster

So far, I like it. I've played FFXI, so the interface doesn't bother me too much, but I can see the gameplay becoming extremely tedious in a matter hours.
Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devilkas

It's been a while since I've played a Dynasty Warriors game, but boredom has nudged me into trying Dynasty Warriors Online. 

After a couple of hours, a few things really stuck out to me:

• There's an overly long tutorial
  • The world is structure to that of the PSO/PSU games
  • The UI is unnecessarily hindered through layers of menus
  • Faction starting zones (I'm not sure if there are multiple starting zones) are presented fairly well by named characters from the franchise
  • There's no real persistent character leveling
  • Joining instances with other players doesn't seem too different from playing by yourself, it just gets the job down faster

So far, I like it. I've played FFXI, so the interface doesn't bother me too much, but I can see the gameplay becoming extremely tedious in a matter hours.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ch13696

What do you mean by there's no persistent character leveling?

Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Devilkas

I've only played for like 3 hours. All I've seen so far is that you gain ranks, but they're only good for making quests available.

Zeroeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Zeroeye

Ranks are for what modes you can get into, free melee(free battle), scenario(conquest, taking/ losing ground) ,
and what lvl weapon you may use.
@Devilkas:
the points made are true and even after at least 10 hours im still a trainee( Sargent) 
12v12 pvp are epic, and take a while and a half to start one.
base stats are locked, upgrade stats with clothing/items , upgrade weapons with gems, orbs are present( tough to find, and very costly at shop)
no issues with the game because im a sucker for anything koei related since DYNASTY 3
Devilkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devilkas

Yeah, I kinda fell off after my 6th hour of training, but I've got to at least play PvP before I move on to something else or not.