Elite Controller Quality

ryjo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was thinking about purchasing an elite controller for my PC but have read quite a few reviews noting their questionable build quality resulting in issues such as stick drift, easily broken bumpers and grips that are falling off, often after less than a year of use. It's difficult to know if these reviewers just don't take care of their things or if the controller simply doesn't hold up well. I'm curious if any of you have had any issues with your elite controller?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have a somewhat loose grip on one side.

Everything else is flawless.

It’s easily the best controller I’ve ever used, but I’m not sure it’s such a step up (360/Xbox One X/Dual Shock 4 controllers are already pretty great) to be worth the investment.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

My Y button constantly sticks. TBH I only use it when my regular Xbox One controller is out of batteries. I prefer the original... buttons feel less mushy in general by comparison. The elite has a charging dock; can't remember if that came with it or I bought it separately but it seems like the charge doesn't last very long either. At this point I just plug in my original Xbox One controller most of the time.

Those are my gripes... I haven't had an issue at all with the sticks. But I think the original Xbox One controllers is probably my fav controller so take that as you will (and I've had that controller for longer than the elite with no problems).

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had one, I really liked it at first and it felt like good quality, but my right bumper stopped working after about a year or so. I would only buy one if it's on sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897
deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had mine for a few years. No issues. best controller I've ever used.

Considering how much normal controllers are these days I think it's a good purchase

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryjo30: Kotaku just put up an article yesterday about this. The right bumper broke playing DMC5 and the person who posted the article mentioned they'd looked online and found it's apparently a common fault with them. They only come with a 90 day warranty in the US, but if you live in Europe you at least get 2 years?

I was considering buying one but if I'm spending €150 on a controller I want that thing to be solid as a rock and not have common faults.

egan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had 2 and the grips have fallen off both. Other than that no issues

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, that's a shame i remember when these came out people claimed they were such high quality. Crazy they only have a 90 day warranty and cost so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Elite Controller is an incredible peripheral, but it doesn't have a spotless record for reliability. And Microsoft, at least here in the States, doesn't exactly bend over backwards to make sure you're covered in the event of a manufacturing flaw.

I loved my Elite Controller. It had a premium-feeling heft and build construction that made the standard Xbox One controllers feel not just obsolete, but cheap by comparison. But I started having input and stick issues with the controller after a year of regular use (+/- 15 hours of play a week).

If you're the mad scientist-type, there are Youtube guides out there that go step-by-step through the process of opening your controller and making simple repairs. But that seems like a ridiculous necessity after dropping a buck-fifty on the controller in the first place.

Long story short: I never regretted my purchase of the Elite Controller. I would also never buy another one.