Ever beaten game by accident and couldn't when you tried?

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I've had this happen a few times. I played Sonic Unleashed on my PS2 and beat it by accident and ever since have never been able to beat it. I also had a very similar thing happen with the challenges on Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, where I beat the challenges in my sleep but to this day cannot beat them.

Have you ever had this happen to you?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#2  Edited By Slag

Old NES side scrollin games, sure that's happened to me. I guess I view it more as getting lucky, but yeah I've had that happen.

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By aznjon12

Does this apply to fighting games where you try to use your main and can't beat someone but then fuck around with a different character and all of a sudden you become a god?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

No, what? This seems crazy to me.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dungbootle

It can definitely happen but I can't remember any specific incident.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Grissefar

Yeah, man. Playing MW3 for the first couple of months and doing pretty good but I was never getting a MOAB and never even hoped for it. Coming back after some months break, just to play for an hour or two, and the next thing I know is the MOAB popping up. And I didn't even notice I was nearing the 25 kills. Sometimes approaching things with a fresh mind is the way to go.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gamefreak9

Super meat boy, one of the levels in hell. I spend like 20min on full swing focused mode and got nowhere, then I went into non-full screen mode to watch mad men in tandem, and as I was watching the show I somehow beat it :P. Its surprising given how much skill is involved in SMB. I guess relaxing helps though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

By mistake? Not really. Unexpectedly? Sure. I was like :O when GTA IV ended, I felt shit was starting to get real during what I later realized was the final boss. Same with Sleeping Dogs since it's a chinese GTA. And Mafia 2. Those story driven open world games feel too short story-wise because most of your time you're screwing around.
I was also caught off guard by the Arkham City final boss, I really felt the game was waaaaaay too shot, I had so many collectables left to collect that I thought I was surely gonna come around to way before the game ends. 
Same with Assassins of Kings, not only did I totally hate it the first time around, the third chapter ended without me even knowing what was going on anymore.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

I usually play better when I don't think as much. Like I was playing DoA survival mode in the middle of the night and suddenly I fell half asleep and zoned out. Snapped back into it and had beaten 6 rounds without noticing.

Now when I go all out and focused, I get my ass kicked real fast. :(

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Worcanna

Somehow, i was able to do DMC4's PC only mode first try when i was dead tired but i can't do it now. Its odd, sometimes when your tired...its a bit "Drunken master" at how good you get, you know? :)

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

Me and my friends tend to win a lot in League of Legends when we're just fucking around with dumb team compositions, and not win as much when we actually try. It's an odd, odd phenomenon.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nightriff

Jordan from Guitar Hero 2, beat it once on expert and never since, sucks cause I love the song

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

Don't think I have. Though I'm wondering what you mean when you claim that you beat a game in your sleep.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By jonnyboy

Arkham Asylum on the hardest difficulty. Tried so many time to finish the game, the friend that gave it to me came over I intended to show him just how bullshit that last boss fight is on that difficulty, and absolutely breezed it. I looked like a complete tit.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

Do you mean when you sort of let your lizard brain take control and you're capable of doing way better even though you're paying less attention? I think that's happened to me a few times, though I rarely play games that work that way.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

I beat Homefront by accident. The pacing of the last mission made me think I was only halfway through the game.

Had I been "trying," I would have just stopped playing. What a terrible game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Was friends with a kid that owned a Sega Saturn and managed to beat Panzer Dragon on my first play through. Never been able to duplicate that feat again.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FlarePhoenix

That event in Super Smash Bros Melee where you have to defeat Giga Bowser, Mewtwo and Ganondorf. I tried like a hundred times until I just lucked out and managed to win. I haven't been able to do it again.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clonedzero

how the fuck do you beat a game on "accident"? that makes no sense!

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By takashichea

In Monkey Ball on stage 50 (expert mode), it was a cube that unfolds and refolds. To get to the goal, I had to time it. I just kept bashing the cube and fall down on the goal when I beat the game. Interestingly, when I play competition mode with my family and friends, we played that stage over and over. We pretty beat that stage easily.

The hardest stage that was beaten once was Advance Mode Extra Stage 5 where it was a bigger version of stage 30 in Advanced Mode.

The insane, small moving platforms, the bumpers, and the ring that rotates around the stage 360 style made it impossible.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

yes, i've had that happen. not happen to beat it but beat parts. i remember going back to games and unable to get far, but in the past beating the game.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FourWude

Yeah dude totally. Once I accidentally tripped on a wire, which made me put my game disc in the tray, switch on the console, and then proceed to unintentionally play through the whole game, pushing all the correct buttons and movements accidentally until I beat the game. All I can say is that it was one hell of a fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Entire game no, but I've had my fair share of getting through difficult parts when I'm barely trying moments.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

@FlarePhoenix said:

That event in Super Smash Bros Melee where you have to defeat Giga Bowser, Mewtwo and Ganondorf. I tried like a hundred times until I just lucked out and managed to win. I haven't been able to do it again.

Jigglypuff dawg. Still hard, but much easier than trying to do it the real way.

Inquisitor_Sif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Inquisitor_Sif

Happened to me many time over. There are times when I thought I got it and some miss click later I'm dead. However, on rare occasions I started very badly and I was certain that there was no way I could win but I ended up victorious in the end (god know how, really, not me). The most often this happens is in fighting games.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Hunter5024 said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

Jigglypuff dawg. Still hard, but much easier than trying to do it the real way.

Yeah, I believe that's how I ended up doing it. It still took me a hundred or so tries even using Jigglypuff.