Ever released a game?

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Have you ever decided to make a game? If yes, did you finish it? What kind of game was it? :)

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheRealTurk

If by "game" you mean "board game" and by "released" you mean "I did it for a school project," then yes, I released a game. It was for an American History class in High School and I made a Civil War based Risk-like board game. For purposes of the project, I had to try to connect the rules in some way to the historical goals of each side. If I recall correctly:

• The Union could place units in standard Risk like fashion by putting some down every turn or matching cards while the Confederates could only place units if they matched cards. This was supposed to simulate the North's numerical superiority and the South's continual issue with supply. If I recall, you earned cards by answering trivia questions about the Civil War, which was supposed to be the "educational" element of the whole enterprise.
  • The Union won if they had armies in all Confederate states simultaneously or destroyed all Confederate armies on the map. This was supposed to simulate victory via the inability of the South to resist any longer. The South won if they either won a certain number of battles in Northern territory, which was supposed to simulate victory via Northern panic and foreign diplomatic recogition, or by lasting a certain number of turns without being defeated, which was supposed to represent victory via Northern war weariness.
  • There were General cards of some sort too that you could assign to armies, which gave bonuses or penalties to the troops in a given state depending on the personality involved. That was simultaneously an attempt to show my knowledge for class purposes and as a way to balance the game a little bit since the South generally got the stronger General cards.

It was kinda fun, but it was also too much work to put in for the level of the class and I don't remember the rule set I devised working very well. Nobody else in the class really played any Risk.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only game jam stuff:

MicroGrave - Kitchen appliance fighting game

SubDie - Little collectible game

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That was a school project, a point and click adventure game and, yes, If finished it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The first game I ever finished was a wave-based survival game inspired by StarCraft using PyGame (Python) on the Raspberry Pi. I entered it into their under-18 programming competition and came runner up. Since then the most recent game I've worked on that has been released to the world would be Planet Coaster - although I can't call that my game!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gundogan

I was/am working on a game, but don't really have the time for it anymore and I kinda underestimated 'rebuilding' the game in Gamemaker 2 from 1 (the import function is okay, but wanted something without the import scripts for the old GM1 functions into the new GM2 ones).

I should probably continue with it in GM1 one day... But hey, making games even as a hobby it takes a lot of time!

https://gundogan.itch.io/forever-loot

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I produced the sound design / sound track for an android game about a year ago, the developers are some college friends, it's a crappy little indie game, it's called "jack vs evil melons" or something lol, saw some footage my friend sent but i never played it (apple user)

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paulmako

No. The closest I have come to that is making a few competitive maps for Gary's Mod. I played them with friends and they were well received. It's really fun and something I got obsessively into fine tuning. I'm hoping that Gary's Mod 2 is still being worked on somewhere in between Rust patches, although who knows if it will ever see the light of day.

Also let me tell you, making a map gives you get a whole new appreciation for even the most basic looking parts of level design and in-game architecture.

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TilenM

@therealturk: Duuuuuuudeeeeee that's so awesome!!!! I wish I'd play a game like that. I am from Slovenia and I study History, but we barely ever talk anything about USA history. This sounds such a fun game, it's a shame you didn't market it further!

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TilenM

@mikewhy: Very cool! How long did it take you ta make these? :)

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: If Planet Coaster is the game Slpg8r is playing on Yt, then this is some serious stuff! So you're actually a full time game developer?

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: Nice work, man! Every considered forming a team to make your life easier and maybe even make money off your hobby?:)

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao contributing to an indie and never playing it is a sin, don't you know that???? :P So you're a composer, huh?

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: How cool! Andy yea, I can totally get the frustration level design creates. Fingers crossed that you get your GM2 :P

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tilenm: actually I am a programmer but not in the video game industry.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tilenm: Thank you. It was an interesting project if nothing else, although it gave me a newfound respect for people who actually need to make games.

Also, if you are at all interested in that part of history, I would very much recommend The Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson. It's kind of the book on the American Civil War.

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: Well I guess it's true what they say ... If it were easy everyone would be doing it. :)

I searched around a bit and this book is nowhere to be found in Slovenia and the price on Ebay is 25€+15€ for shipping to Slovenia, but it's getting great reviews, so I'll keep in mind if I every decide to jump into American history. Thanks for the advice tho!

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work as a video game programmer, so I've made quite a few, mostly mobile and for the companies I work for.

I also make games on my free time. I did one for the GiantROM Game Jam last year that I thought was pretty cool, it's called SPACE POLICE STATE X.

The games I made on my own (actually most of them with a friend that is an artist) were in most part because we wanted to try some weird thing and build a portfolio at the same time. The one we're doing now is a Choose Your Own Adventure.

If you want to see the games, you can find links on my devblog, and if you do I would really appreciate some feedback =)

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes http://store.steampowered.com/app/466110/Shaolin_vs_Wutang/

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@tilenm said:

@bollard: If Planet Coaster is the game Slpg8r is playing on Yt, then this is some serious stuff! So you're actually a full time game developer?

Not familiar with Sl1pg8r's content, but just had a look and I do indeed mean that Planet Coaster! Yep, been part of the Planet Coaster team on and off for about a year and a half now :)

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tilenm said:

@mikewhy: Very cool! How long did it take you ta make these? :)

72 hours each, since that's the most time you can get in a Ludum Dare competition.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By warpr
Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Jixashauser

I released my first game a couple of months ago on Itch.io. It's called PushGo and it's a one button local multiplayer game for 1-4 players were everyone plays on the same controller/keyboard.

No Caption Provided

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totsboy: Lol it looks very cool! How are you enjoying the gaming industry tho?

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leejunfan83: Duuudeee that's so awesome! What was your part with this game?

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TilenM

@bollard: Oh man, so awesome! Congratz! :D

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpr: Very nice! Well, I guess you really have to make some big break if you want to succeed in the gaming industry :(

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jixashauser: Looks pretty sweet! ^^ How's the game doing right now?

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tilenm:It's tough. For the most part I've been working making games I don't like (mobile casual games filled with ads), but they pay me well and it adds to my curriculum. Also allow me to save some money to eventually be able to dedicate myself to my projects exclusively, at least for a while.

The cool part is working (on my free time) on my own projects, but it's hard to find the time and actually manage to finish something when you already have a full time job.

Having graduated in Computer Science, I can say that making games if far more interesting than anything else I have tried in this field, so even if for the most part I'm making games I don't like, it's better than messing around with servers or building databases.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Richardqx

One year ago, i created a RPG game using the RPG maker. No one except for me have never played it, i guess. I finished it 3 times :D :D It's in Czech language, so theres no point in posting here a link for download. Was working on this crap for about a half of a year and no one has never played it, so i've never received any reviews.

But in fact, it was a crap. I used only pre-made sprits, the music that i created for this game sucked... I understand why no one never played it.

So the answer is yes. I have released a game. It was a crap, wasting of my time and i've never been making any videogame since than.

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totsboy: Well it's very satisfying and aspiring to hear that you are getting pleasure from working in gaming industry! Even if it's just mobile games. I'm hoping that you make it big once! ^^

TilenM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TilenM

@richardqx: Well I wouldn't say it was a total waste of time - at least you learned what you DON'T wanna be doing in your life. :P

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardqx: Like many things, the first game you do most likely will suck. I think the fact that you manage to finish the game is commendable, even if you used pre-made stuff, it's more than a lot of people that try being developers accomplished.

Hell, I tried once to make an RPG with RPG maker during college and never managed to finish it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sinusoidal

I made a few in a variety of IDEs: Blender, which I don't NOT recommended, though it's the game I'm most proud of. Too bad it seems to only work in Windows 7 and then only on specific configurations. I can't even run it anymore and I lost all my dev files in massive computer disaster. Blender's game engine is/was pretty rough around the edges. Also, Gamemaker Studio and LibGDX in Android Studio.

Well, I never finished my Android game. I fell off the coding bandwagon since it was eating up all of my free time. I toy with the idea of trying to make a living at it, but I have a job I quite enjoy and I kind of need very steady income these days since the wife and I had a kid five months back. I might pick Gamemaker Studio back up sometime. It's pretty easy to crank out some silliness there and I get the impression it's gotten quite a bit better since I last made a game with it.

I got sixth place in the first Giant Rom.

My stuff: https://gamejolt.com/@Underwaterbob/games and https://sinusoidal.itch.io/curse-of-the-mountain-man

reverendhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

I made some garbage. Trying to get back into it and release something I'm not ashamed of, but health, time, and willpower have not been on my side.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been in the industry for about four years as an animator. I've worked on games that have been released and games that have been canned! I haven't made a game on my own, but would definitely like to someday.

AmaxangGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AmaxangGames

I had released my first commercial game a year ago on Steam which was a 2D Action Platformer inspired by Sonic Hedgehog and Super Meat Boy : NightmareZ

It was based on Single-Player missions and was based on a story of three demons fighting against the evil demons. I am currently working on my second commercial project called Keatz: The Lonely Bird which is a 2D Old School Platform Action game inspired by Mario and Meat Boy games. However, it plays a bit differently and has two possible endings. It will be released on Steam soon.

After I had released my first game on Steam, I received lots of feedback and I listened to them which drastically improved my game with time. It was a great learning experience for me. This has inspired me to not give up and make another game which would be far better than the first one.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ChosenOne

I put out a few games back when flash was still big circa the mid 2000s, shmups and TD games. 40% passion, 60% cash grab tbh, sponsors were very liberal with money back then.

SimoensS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I participate in game jams in my spare time together with some colleagues.
Most of our result are up on itch : https://mientje.itch.io/

Professionaly, I'm a gameplay programmer / game designer working on educational games for the Belgian market.
It's kind of a niche endeavor but I like it very much.

Our current project, Kweetet, has been released several years back but we keep developing new stories.
In the end there will be a story for each of the 6 years of primary school, we're working on the final world right now.

Before this I worked at a company making small games for marketing campaigns.

But with the decline of Flash that market has all but gone away.
These were cool because of the small scope, meaning we made A LOT of different games in a small amount of time.
This way I was able to build up experience in different genres relatively quickly.

Almost ten years into my game dev carreer so far.
So still a lot of cool games to come I hope.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, although it's not exactly the kind of game that anyone here would want to play. Worked on a massively multiplayer online business simulation - it's an educational game. Also released an expansion for it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By GERALTITUDE
No Caption Provided

A few years ago I worked on an awesome project. Never released. Included the YT link to the only existing footage right now. I did lots of the world, character and mechanical design, built the flight prototype which a real programmer later rebuilt entirely.

https://youtu.be/2Hun0AO0ddE

https://youtu.be/xZj1pL6rZOU

We worked in Unity.

Was my first project making a game and mismanaged the shit out of everyone, pretty much burned the whole thing down out of stupidity. But still, was really good fun, and met some really cool people. I am working on very small things right now, and hope to get back into it next spring. Doing my day to day as a database designer right now.

We were lucky to have an extremely skilled 3D modeller / animator / texture artist, just an incredible A-Z guy could do pretty much whatever you threw at him. We did lots of awesome stuff actually. Even worked with an Engineering PHD who used 4 PS Eye cameras to do motion capture. Was really interesting, but yeah, damned hard. I'll tell you what. If you want to make a game, don't make a 3D flight game. Literally everything else we tried worked better / easier. Something about scale / speed / momentum and feeling in a 3D flight game was hard as shit. And that's just *movement*.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tilenm: thanks. Honestly not a lot of people bought it. It was part of a bundle and I made it free for a while (it's free now indefinitely) and overall I've gotten around 1200 downloads.

So while I didn't make a lot of money on it, it's being played by people which is pretty cool.