Extending battery life on a new laptop. Tips?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6f0f4262550
deactivated-5d6f0f4262550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought a new laptop recently with some powerful insides. I get a regular 5-6 hours out of it with things turned down with adjusting the powersettings. But I read about people getting 8-9 hours with undervolting and disable ports and RGB keyboards with this laptop. I've been searching all sorts of forums for most of the day and can't find any specifics on undervolting or walkthroughs of changing other settings.

Is it just common knowledge now on how to tune things down on laptops? Or is it so ardguous to change it back and forth.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

You can go one of two routes: getting a laptop that's relatively portable, doesn't have the fastest internals, and will last 10 hours unplugged; OR, you could go for the beasty gaming laptop with killer internal specs and an RGB keyboard, but will never last you all day. Seems you went the latter route. Wouldn't undervolting (I didn't even know this was a thing) defeat the purpose a bit? Seems like you've already explored the reasonable options, such as OS-level power profiles.

I'd recommend embracing the lack of battery life and high-fiving your nearest friend each time you run the battery dry. You often can't have your cake and eat it too, unfortunately.