void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By void

Hi duders,

I don't interact with the community at all as much as I should but I've been around since the early days.

I used to consume every bit of content Giant Bomb had to offer. That all stopped back in May. My brother (who also happened to be my best friend) was killed in a car accident.

Anyway. I'm trying to get back up to speed with Giant Bomb content but it's pretty tough. I've watched every video up to the Alt-Snake mailbag (09/18/15) and listened to every b*cast up to 07/31/15. I skipped ahead to follow the GOTY stuff, but had to skip some sections to not spoil too much.

I played through Life Is Strange along side GBE up to last GBE Playdate episode. I failed to save Kate :'(

Not sure where I'm going with this. I just needed to write something, I guess. Maybe give me some pointers to any particular highlights of content, or any skippable content just to get back into sync faster?

Thanks!

/Generic dumb programmer alias

Edit: Thanks so much everyone!!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Greetings duder,

Real sorry to hear about your loss. That sounds pretty tough.

You sound like you could use some laughs? Maybe check out the Ryckert / Klepek Super Mario Maker feud?

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Y2Ken

Hey man, sorry to hear about your loss.

It might be worth looking up some of the "new subscriber" threads, as they often collate a lot of the best GB content. The issue there is that it'll also include older content which you'll presumably be familiar with. In terms of more recent stuff, I'd highly recommend GBeast's playthrough of Contradiction. It's a real feel-good time with a lot of laughs to be had. It's a bit weird to track down - starts with the Quick Look, then Quick Look Supplemental, then there's one or two additional playdates. Shouldn't be too hard to find, though. All the GBE playdates have been pretty fun.

Giant Bomb Makes Mario has been a ton of fun also. I'd also recommend working your way through the Demo Derbys and Mario Party Partys. I'm always a fan of UPF too.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man that is devastating I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope you and your family are doing ok.

As far as the content goes I'd say the Kerbal Project B.E.A.S.T. stuff has been really entertaining, Extra Life (San Francisco Office), VinnyVania, all the UPFs, the Paris Games Week Press Conference, the Encyclopedia Bombastica of Quackshot, Demo Derby, Giant Bomb Makes Mario 1 and 2, but the absolute must, MUST watch is Mario Party Party 5.

You've got a lot of great stuff to watch duder.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I went the opposite with the loss of my father I delved into more GB content such as getting through last years Extra life stream which I got pretty far into it lols.

GBeast Chose your own Adventures have been great which were spawned from the excellent Contradiction: Spot the liar play through which happened because they did the QL....then kept playing after they finished the QL and didnt stop recording for a bit....until they went "ok lets make this a feature.". Then there was a great little playthrough of Until Dawn a game everyone had a low expectation of yet came out with high marks.

Also follow up with the other suggestions and you will be fine.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sorry to hear duder! Hopefully the joy of the Bomb will shed some light on these dark days.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear about your loss, but this is a great community of people. Going through some health issues of my own, and can truly say the GB content is a great help for down days.

A personal favourite of recent Quick Looks is the Assassin's Creed: Syndicate QL, particularly for Vinnie's and Austin's reactions to the level of violence being unleashed by Alex.

Also the Mario Maker vids, and the Kerbal Space program streams have been gold.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

In terms of highlights, here are a couple of things I would recommend:

• GBeast Playdates: Probably the biggest highlight of 2015 was the coming of Giant Bomb East. They were rocking and rolling with Quick Looks, but hiring Austin and getting those guys together for Choose Our Own Adventure and the Playdates really brought that studio together. So I would watch the videos under Contradiction: Spot The Liar!, Until Dawn, and Life Is Strange. The Project B.E.A.S.T. stuff in Kerbal Space Program has also been great.
  • If you have been watching the previous Metal Gear Scanlons, I would say watch their play through of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. (It might be one of the lesser of the Metal Gear Scanlons, Drew has a better handle on how to "play" this game, Dan finds one particular monkey a little too funny, and just the amount of cut scenes, but it's still entertaining)
  • Mario Party Party 5 is probably the highlight of PAX for me.
  • I would also suggest the Super Mario Maker content, such as the Giant Bomb Mario levels. It also makes an appearance in a few UPFs and in one of the Extra Life streams.
  • When in doubt, Turboman has you covered.

Hope all is well.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Cav829

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

I think a lot of the best stuff has been covered. I'd add in Amiibo Festival Festival as it was like getting a bonus Mario Party.

The Choose Our Own Adventure episodes have all been fantastic. In addition to the ones mentioned, there are Toonstruck, Phantasmagoria 2, and Sentient. I'm not sure Alex ever recovered from Sentient.

You also can always look over the Best of Giant Bomb videos xpantherx puts on youtube to find Quick Looks that look interesting.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829: Thanks, man. Appreciates it a lot. Somehow I've missed the Best of Giant Bomb videos. I don't use youtube that often. Looks great though! Lots of stuff I should watch and rewatch there.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

That's rough, I'm sorry for your loss, hope things are beginning to get easier for you.

You should check out any of the Mario Party Party videos you've not seen. The Until Dawn and Contradiction playthroughs from the East Coast are excellent. Also listening to Bombcast compilations on YouTube or from This Year are always a good way to get your fix.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hear that, hope you're doing OK.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome back! I would check out Contradiction asap. Some of my favorite videos since the persona 4 endurance run. The last few rykert family podcasts had me in stitches too.