FIFA / Pro Evolution Differences

rameym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By rameym

I've been playing a lot of FIFA lately and have only played PES once or twice so the differences aren't too obvious to me. Any big time footballers out there who could explain some of the differences? Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Pro ev used to be better, now it isn't?

I literally cannot expand on that statement.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 9cupsoftea

It's difficult to articulate because essentially they just feel different, minor differences in the ball physics, player movement, stuff like that. I'd say fifa is certainly more fun, with PES you have to wrestle a bit more to play great passes, though the shooting is a bit easier. The physical side of the game (jostling for headers and tackling) is also a bit more simple and logical in fifa, PES kinda feels a bit weak in comparison.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By D0tti
@GetEveryone said:

Pro ev used to be better, now it isn't?

I literally cannot expand on that statement.

This. Seriously Pro ev on ps2 was THE shit compared to FIFA, I still like playing Pro ev more when i'm alone though and FIFA when i'm with friends or online.
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mattbosten

I can only speak to them up to 2010 as I stopped playing the new versions then and have reverted to playing PES5; to put it simply FIFA feels more arcadey and PES is more of a sim, whether this is still true I don't know. Also FIFA has all the licences (which is important to some) meaning you get all the proper team names, badges and kits which isn't the case in Pro Evo.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By forkboy

FIFA 2013 will have Ross County in it. What more do you want?

The differences are indeed in the small things, the way players control & driible the ball, the passing system, all those things. The general consensus is that FIFA has overtaken PES in about 2009 or so but has really stagnated. I'd expect PES to get back in the lead in the next couple of years. We'll see though.

But yeah, this will be the first time I've bought a FIFA game since the Playstation era so I'm not nearly as jaded on the new game as others, having only ever played it round friends. And yes, I am at least partially buying this years game because it's the first year the time I support are in it. I will refuse to use anyone else online, even when it means losing 17-0 in every game. MON THE STAGGIES

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Sterling

FIFA has the better licensing so you get all the real teams and leagues. (this is the most important for some people)

PES has come a long way in getting better. I just recently bought 2012 and I am loving it. I actually kinda prefer it to FIFA 12. But that just may be due to the fact I have been playing only FIFA for the last so many years (and I have played the crap out of FIFA 12 since it came out).

Last PES game I played was actually Winning Eleven 7, so this is a huge change for me, and was not sure about it at first.

I really dig the Football Life mode in PES, it is more in depth than in FIFA, and you have to train skills to get better, not just do things on the field to instantly get a +3 in a stat. Also in the Manager mode you have more control over your team than in FIFA. You get do things like set budgeting, keeping your players on a training regimen, deal with players complaining about not being played more, and you have an actual full on youth squad. You also don't see 900 transfers during the transfer window like you do in FIFA.

I think the passing feels more realistic in PES also. Not as ping pongy. Passes will get out of control, not every pass is perfect. Although I think shooting is better in FIFA as you have more control over the direction of the shot. In PES its hit or miss if it actually shoots where you are aiming.

The one thing I love in FIFA that PES is missing is playing as a GK. I don't know why but I loved that mode in FIFA, and I wish PES had the same thing.

Overall they are both great games and offer slightly difference experiences. It just depends on which one you want. FIFA leans towards the pick and play side, and PES leans towards the grind it out simulation side.

rameym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By rameym

Thanks guys. I figured it was mostly the intricate details that all added up. As for licensing I don't care much, I'm American, so... yeah. I know that the Premier League is a thing but not much else, so I bought the World Cup edition back in '10. I know what countries are better than I know private clubs, and that way I only need to buy the new Fifa every four years. I played a lot of NHL2K up until EA's NHL 10 and I never looked back, so I can relate to a lot of the differences, better in the PS2 days and just kind of stagnating since then.