Fighting Gamers Assemble!! Games, Sticks, and Pads Questions!!!

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DrBeardface

Fairly new to all the fighting game stuff, but I want to work at it and reach annoying levels of skill in the fighting game genre.  So, being a novice, thought I'd bring the questions to the experts on the board. 

#1  What are the best current fighting games? 
#2  Do you go Arcade Stick, Fight Pad, or standard controller?  Why that preference? 
#3  What upcoming fighting games should we be on the lookout for? 

Give me your expert answers, or add questions I'm too dumb to think of right now!

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

Street Fighter and BlazBlue seem to be the biggest 2D fighting games out right now, with Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the new Mortal Kombat coming next year.
I play both SF and BB, but without a doubt I prefer BB more. Mainly because of the over-top-action, story, and unique characters. 

I play with a fight stick now on both games, though. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the genre, and still too intimidated to start playing online. But I do enjoy them.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DrBeardface
@ESREVER said:
" Street Fighter and BlazBlue seem to be the biggest 2D fighting games out right now, with Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the new Mortal Kombat coming next year.I play both SF and BB, but without a doubt I prefer BB more. Mainly because of the over-top-action, story, and unique characters.  I play with a fight stick now on both games, though. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the genre, and still too intimidated to start playing online. But I do enjoy them. "
Thanks for the response!  I got to check out BlazBlue and thought it was pretty sweet, I just wished they had gone with animated cutscenes for story instead of the pages of text! 
What kind of fight stick do you use?  Any particular reason you went with the fightstick over the other controller types?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
  1. Brawl Minus, the weird Brawl hack with CEILINGS.
  2. Standard controller, since it's all I know. However, good hint: stick with a standard controller. Fuck MadKatz and their tiny GameCube controllers.
  3. I don't know, that Street Fighter vs. Tekken game? Mortal Kombat? MvC3?
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By ESREVER
@DrBeardface said:
" @ESREVER said:
" Street Fighter and BlazBlue seem to be the biggest 2D fighting games out right now, with Marvel vs Capcom 3 and the new Mortal Kombat coming next year.I play both SF and BB, but without a doubt I prefer BB more. Mainly because of the over-top-action, story, and unique characters.  I play with a fight stick now on both games, though. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the genre, and still too intimidated to start playing online. But I do enjoy them. "
Thanks for the response!  I got to check out BlazBlue and thought it was pretty sweet, I just wished they had gone with animated cutscenes for story instead of the pages of text! What kind of fight stick do you use?  Any particular reason you went with the fightstick over the other controller types? "
There are a couple of animated cut-scenes, but they are super-short, and the quality isn't all that great. I wish they used the same artist/animator they did in the opening videos. Those are pretty good. But I find the story in BlazBlue to be pretty fascinating, as well as hilarious. Those cutscenes will just leave you wanting a BlazBlue anime. 
At least the walls of text has voice-over to them!

I use the Madcatz Limited Edition BlazBlue Continuum Shift tournament stick.:  

No Caption Provided
It was pricey, cause I got it when it first came out. You can get the same kind of stick for a lot less... but I'm a sucker for BlazBlue art... and more Noel is always a good thing in my book. 
I played with a controller when I first started BlazBlue. There really was no real reason why I got a stick, other than I feel it adds to the enjoyment of the game.
Deathcrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Deathcrush

The two bigges right now is Tekken6 and Super street fighter 4. Blazblue is an amazing nr3. 
And yes it will probably top of with MVC3 and MK next year like ESREVER says.
I play BB ands SF and T6. but the prefered game is SF since it is the game that gives me the most nostalgic feel. 
Butt there are alot of other great fighting games out there Like: 
Street fighter third strike.
Guilty Gear series
melty blood 
Virual Fighter
and so on. and what game you prefer is all about what you want from your game. BB is very action over the topp speed and long combos. Tekken is ekstremely chalenging in the way it plays. and SF is more about mindgames than probably most people would ever agree on. 

And ofc I use a fightstick. And i use it becuse i feel it is easyer to manage in fighting games than controolers are. i don`t want to have to think about shoulder buttons when i play and the stick klicks right into where you want it and don`t have the ability to like jumpe when you are doing a qfc ( quartersuirkel forward) motion but don`t gett me wrong i know alot og people who kick my az with a controller. it`s all about preffrenses      

demonkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By demonkd

id say ss4 and bb:cs and maybe tekken 6 for 3d fighters. mvc3 the new mortal combat and kof 13 all drop next year and i use a bad currently looking into getting a stick tho im not sure which one.