Fove VR, another competitor

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

So I guess there's yet another potential competitor for VR Hardware. Fove VR touts eye tracking as the feature that makes it stand out. According to the linked article, Fove VR creators are hoping to strike a deal with valve to be comptible with their motion controllers and "lighthouse" which tracks essentially full body movement.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/fove-vr-headset-adds-body-tracking-to-eye-tracking-1296934

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

It's kind of crazy how the market is already getting saturated for VR gear and it's a tech that hasn't even come out for public consumption yet haha

It's really weird to think how no one really even thought about how far technology has come and if VR would work now until John Carmack started talking about it and Lucky Palmer said "Hey I think we can do this with a small amount of kickstarter funding."

The genies out of the bottle on this one in a big way. I believe in the tech, but I don't know if I've ever seen this before- where so many companies are springing to create tech that hasn't even been proven in the market yet. It's kind of weird.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Hm, I should start my own Kickstarter for a VR headset that will only cost $99. Hopefully people will be distracted by the low price, then get carried away with the hype and not really care that it's just a crappy pair of blue and red glasses...

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There were a lot of new last year about them pitching this to Microsoft, and I'm guessing they declined in regards to the AR track they're on with Hololens?

The thing with FOVE is that it could implement something called Foveated rendering. Meaning you're only rendering what your eyes focus on in high detail, the rest is just blurred off. Meaning you could theoretically churn out 4k like details in a VR-headset with minimal hardware (think xbone or smartphone perhaps).

And games like Valkyrie could benefit from this aswell, as your missile locks would be way more accurate as you could aim with your eyes instead of flailing your neck around.