FPS Analog Stick Preference (PS3-360)

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soul101

So I'm at my friend's house and he's playing BOPS2 on PS3, I get curious having had a PS3 since launch but never playing multi-platform shooters on it (I tend to play FPS on 360 or PC). I pick up the controller and found it nearly impossible to pull off the simplest of aiming tasks. I also believe that the multi-platform distinction in an important one, I played both Kill Zone games this generation and noticed they took measures (added "weight" to movement, acceleration speed, etc.) to counteract the dead zones in the sticks of the PS3 controller, something I realized today may not be the status quo.

Question 1: anybody prefer the duel shock for FPS

Question 2: All nostalgia removed, should Sony retire the controller "mould" for the next generation in favour of a new design.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm fine with the DualShock's design and I don't have any problems with it in regards to multi-platform shooters. That said, I definitely prefer the Xbox 360 controller for those games. Concave analog sticks as well as their positioning makes things more comfortable.

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By JOURN3Y

I prefer PS3 since I have a PS3. I tried playing FPS games on my xbox controller on the PC but it sucks because my old roommate destroyed the analog sticks.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By topsteer

I much prefer the DualShock for shooters and pretty much everything else really. I love that it has less resistance, it feels so much smoother than the 360 analog sticks.

I'd like them to keep the controller the same, I'm used to it and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By DarthOrange

Takes me a while to get used to it when I switch between the two controllers but I prefer the DualShock, if only because I am so used to the 10+ year old design of the controller. 

As for the second part, no I don't think they should retire the controller mold. I would be devastated (but get over it in a few minutes).

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rolanthas

Equally comfortable with both tbh.360's concave sticks and asymmetric placement are nice, but I've been using Dual Shock 1's-2's-3's for oh so many years now that it evens out. I use a 360 gamepad on almost all my PC games except the most precision based shooters and TBS's, and have a PS3 for my console needs, so I change between them pretty regularly.

Oh, I wouldn't be against them "retiring" Dual Shock. At the very least the controller can benefit from convex face buttons and better R2-L2 triggers. And I'd be happy if the finish gets some work, it's annoying how every DS loses its matte finish in 2-3 months, no matter how clean you try to be. This is not as severe on 360 controllers, credit where it's due. On the other hand, the next 360 controller can use proper shoulder buttons instead of bumpers tbh, aside from a d-pad overhaul. Just my 2 cents.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Wemibelle

I like the 360 controller better for pretty much everything. The sticks seem better placed, perfectly sensitive, and feel good moving under my thumbs. I don't really mind the DualShock; I just prefer the 360 controller. I wouldn't change the design, if I was Sony. It's still a pretty great controller, the best after the 360 controller.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshthebear

I cannot stand the symmetrical sticks, the "triggers", and the overall size/feel of the dualshock. To me, in falters in the comparison of the comfort to using a 360 pad.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

I definitely prefer the 360 controller in general. The only game types I prefer the DualShock for are Street Fighter/KoF and the God of War-a-likes because it's just what I know now.

Personally, I think the 360 controller is pretty much the greatest controller I've ever had the pleasure of using.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ozzdog12

@soul101: 360 is more ergonomic and is just better for FPS

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski

@Little_Socrates said:

I definitely prefer the 360 controller in general. The only game types I prefer the DualShock for are Street Fighter/KoF and the God of War-a-likes because it's just what I know now.

Personally, I think the 360 controller is pretty much the greatest controller I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Give it a better D-Pad and it would be perfect in my eyes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Andorski said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Give it a better D-Pad and it would be perfect in my eyes.

Pretty much, yeah. I mean, I hope future controllers add new functionality; I'd like there to be a reason for multiple controller types. But I love that damn thing. I agree that its D-Pad is still highly lacking, though. Luckily, I just don't have to use it that often.

coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By coryrx8

Sony's analog sticks are the only ones that I've never really been able to use for FPSs. They just have way too little resistance and feel like they take longer to center than either Microsoft's or Nintendo's analog sticks. It's too bad really, because I love the Resistance series. I doubt that Sony will ever fix them seeing as how they've used the exact same design for three console generations now.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Silver-Streak

I feel the Dual Shock/Sixaxis/whatever's analog sticks are far better for racing games than the 360s. I feel they're about even for FPS as far as sensativity, but I find controlling a camera easier with the concave sticks of the 360 over the convex of the PS3.

That being said, if the game has any regular and/or primary use of the D-pad, every single xbox controller ever released has been a joke. Even the new twist pad is terrible. Luckily that only matters for a few rare games.

terrible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By terrible

I get thumb cramps when I play my PS3. Bad cramps.. feels like my left thumb is going to dislocate if I have a long session haha. The joystick placement really bothers me. I much prefer my 360 controller. I wish I could use my 360 controller on my PS3.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By churrific

I prefer the DS3 too. Lol I really can't stand that the 360 sticks are not symmetrical. My thumbs are placed symmetrically. Why aren't the sticks?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By JoeyRavn

@joshthebear said:

I cannot stand the symmetrical sticks, the "triggers", and the overall size/feel of the dualshock. To me, in falters in the comparison of the comfort to using a 360 pad.

Same here. I don't really care about the quality of the D-Pad, since I barely use it for movement in games.

@churrific said:

I prefer the DS3 too. Lol I really can't stand that the 360 sticks are not symmetrical. My thumbs are placed symmetrically. Why aren't the sticks?

To give you more space between your thumbs and to adjust better to the natural position of you hand. You don't usually have your thumbs completely horizontal or vertical, but in an angle, right? So, yeah, your thumbs may be place symmetrically, but diagonally. You may think it's stupid, but a shitload of resources go into studying ergonomics and placement of your hands on a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I own both. I tend to have more cramping on 360 controllers than on Dual Shocks. I prefer R1 and L1 to the Xbox's triggers. The sticks are probably better objectively on the 360, since they offer a little more tactile resistance, but the fluidity of the Dual Shock analog sticks seem more conducive for my reflexes.

I'm a big fan of the Dual Shock overall, and find it easier to play for longer stretches on the PS3 pad. But the 360 controller is an excellent one. That can't be denied.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

I prefer the PS3 gamepad for its higher precision analogsticks. There's less of a deadzone and a higher degree of precision to them. That said, the triggers are trash, so I'm shooting with the bumpers, and overall the 360's formfactor is much superior. There's also something to be said in favor of its concave analogsticks.

But yeah - in terms of PC-speak, the PS3's gamepad is the equivalent of a higher DPI mouse versus the 360's low DPI product, and hence I prefer the Dualshock 3 for FPS games.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By deano546

I have a 360 and PS3, and I like both controllers, but I have to say I prefer the 360 controller for all games.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mister_V

360 controller all the way. The stick placement on the PS3 controller still feels like an afterthought to me.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cclemon36

I don't really have a preference comfort-wise, both seem to fit my hands a-ok. The thing is, I use a wired 360 controller for about 50% of my PC gaming and the calibration on the left stick in particular can be a real pain in the ass sometimes (depends on the game, it seems), also the left trigger is aligned kind of wrong, but shame on me for not taking it back to the store. My dad's wireless 360 controller, on the other hand, doesn't have any of those issues, so I've ordered a receiver for my wireless one and hopefully that'll be the end of all that bullshit.

More on topic, I haven't noticed an issue with the analogue sticks in regards to shooters and I kind of like the fact that the DS3 has minimal deadzone, but the L3/R3 (so to speak) on the 360 controller feels much better.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DharmaBum

Can't imagine using the DualShock for shooters; bumping thumbs together when you strafe right + aim left.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By churrific

@JoeyRavn said:

@joshthebear said:

Same here. I don't really care about the quality of the D-Pad, since I barely use it for movement in games.

@churrific said:

To give you more space between your thumbs and to adjust better to the natural position of you hand. You don't usually have your thumbs completely horizontal or vertical, but in an angle, right? So, yeah, your thumbs may be place symmetrically, but diagonally. You may think it's stupid, but a shitload of resources go into studying ergonomics and placement of your hands on a controller.

All I know is that when I'm holding any controller, generally my left and right hands are positioned at the same angle/height. For the 360 controller though, my right thumb goes to one spot on the controller for the right stick, but I then have to think about getting my left thumb to a different height on the controller for the left stick. I have the same thumb length on both hands, so to compensate, that means I actually have to hold the 360 controller tilted a little. Lol I just feel dumb holding a lopsided controller. That's just me though.

spat55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spat55

I think you should be given the option when buying a controller or console. So have three types you can buy, like a DS3 or Xbox and one other type, as we are all different.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The Dualshock is the best controller ever made so naturally I prefer it, even if the pressure sensitivity of R2/L2 takes a small amount of time to adjust to.