Freespace 2

mikmanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikmanner

Hello I made a video of Freespace 2 trying to show how it is still the best space combat game available today. I find it amazing that no game since 1998 has been able to top it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi05Nb1Bgw

Dont worry there's no emo music anywhere on this video.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By EvilDingo

I'm currently playing Freelancer (again) - That's later I love these type of games - however haven't really played Freespace 2... Or at least can not remember I did.

Is this game a more combat-focused experience?

I've always been more focused on the trade and exploration-aspect in these type of games anyway, where Space-combat games like Wing Commander was never really my thing.
mikmanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By mikmanner

Yeah it is space combat. I personally do not like the idea of trade and economey, but even the games that focus on those (x, eve) handle the combat quite badly in my opinion., I think my video portrays the intensity of combat quite well.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilDingo
mikmanner said:
"Yeah it is space combat. I personally do not like the idea of trade and economey, but even the games that focus on those (x, eve) handle the combat quite badly in my opinion., I think my video portrays the intensity of combat quite well."
Well, since it's the main focus of the game, it has better be good :-)
That said Freelancer differently have much better combat than games like the Elite-series. While the makers of the Elite series certainly had more realistic physics - The creators of Freelancer realized that realistic physics in space aren't really all that fun, since it makes tight turns and the like pretty much impossible in combat.

But generally I don't feel we see space-combat and/or trade games released as often as I'd hope... And why don't we ever see them released for consoles?
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

It isn't a free roaming type of game. It tells a (very good) story through a series of missions. The combat isn't based on a realistic model.

EDIT:

But generally I don't feel we see space-combat and/or trade games released as often as I'd hope... And why don't we ever see them released for consoles?

That's because the genre is generally accepted to be dead, barring the very rare exception. :P
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm waiting for Jumpgate Evolution myself. I highly enjoyed Freelancer multiplayer and I played through a good bit of FS2 single-player. I should try a coop mission or three in FS2 sometime.

I wish somebody would make a sensitivity curve setting for FS2 though, I always feel I'm jerking the stick around the middle to do fine aiming.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilDingo

I love the modding communities that spawn from some games over time, since it essentially breathes new life in older games, you've otherwise have "worn out".

The reason I'm currently playing Freelancer was actually just because I was testing the program CrossOver for my Mac. However in this process of getting it to run, I ran in to a mod-scene for the game that apparently have flourished.

So essentially I'm now playing through a somewhat new experience (with an expanded universe, economy, amount of ships and the like), of a game I've previously had a good time with.