Game Of The Year - Other Publications

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

Just a brief summary of other publications' GOTY and other relevant awards.

EDGE

Game of the Year

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Indie Game of the Year:SpaceChem (Runners-up: Bastion and Triple Town, which is not in the database)

Best Online Experience:Dark Souls (Runners-up: Portal 2 and Modern Warfare 3)

Gamespot

Game of the Year

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Most Surprisingly Good Game:Skylanders

Best Story:To the Moon (nice for them to get the award)

Best Adaptation or Use of License:The Witcher 2 (Interesting, not just because Witcher 2 is considered an adaptation, but because it beat Arkham City)

Best Competitive Multiplayer:Battlefield 3 (Modern Warfare 3 did not get a nomination)

Song of the Year:Bastion

Best Fighting Game:The King of Fighters XIII (maybe it's because I don't follow fighting games that much, but I thought MK and Ultimate would split the awards)

IGN

Best XBOX Live Arcade Game:Bastion

Best PC Racing Game:Trackmania 2: Canyon

Spike Video Game Awards

Game of the Year

Best Shooter:Modern Warfare 3

Best Multiplayer:Portal 2

Best Song in a Game:Bastion

Best Original Score:Bastion

Best Downloadable Game:Bastion

X-Play

Game of the Year

Best Gameplay Innovation:Rocksmith

Best Multiplayer Game:Modern Warfare 3

Best Downloadable Game:Stacking

Best Art Direction:Batman: Arkham City (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron got a nomination for this award)

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's probably going to be a lot of Skyrim.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winternet

@hidys: You're probably right. Wikipedia listed Portal 2 as Joystiq's GOTY but I can't find anywhere on their site that says such.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I can see why Uncharted 3 is getting left out of the nominations. I watched my friend play some of Uncharted 2 again and realized the last quarter of both games are exactly the same. So they probably got a been there done that vibe from the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Uncharted 3 probably get left out of nominations because for a lot of people it felt like Uncharted 2.5 (or more like 2.1 really), and most of the changes that were made to gameplay impacted it negativly, the shooting felt kinda bad (which has been fixed, but most people played it before the fix), the boring combat scenarios with armies of faceless generic suited guys which at times were frustrating, and finally the slightly weaker story (mostly the ending!) and less exciting or interesting setpieces compared to Uncharted 2.

Also The Witcher is originally a book series right? So it applies to best adaptation/use of license.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Winternet

@Village_Guy: I think the books came out earlier than the games, but weren't the books created because they were making the game? I don't know. Still, the main focus is that it beat Batman: Arkham City in that category, which I thought was interesting.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Chronologist

@Winternet: Nah dude. The Witcher was a popular fantasy series in Poland long before the games got made :)

But yeah, I had also forgot that TW2 was actually an adaptation.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Jost1

Uncharted 3 is definitely a case of been there, done that. BUT the quality is still so high that it's still one of the best games of 2011. However, the formula won't stand up a fourth time without at least SOME changes. Which is why I'm not too optimistic about Golden Abyss.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Winternet

@Chronologist: Oh, had no idea.

@Jost1: I would argue that the formula has been in use two times. Uncharted 1 doesn't count. Same thing goes with Assassin's Creed series. First one doesn't count, Revelations is the third game relying on the same foundation.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Chronologist
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jost1

@Winternet said:

@Chronologist: Oh, had no idea.

@Jost1: I would argue that the formula has been in use two times. Uncharted 1 doesn't count. Same thing goes with Assassin's Creed series. First one doesn't count, Revelations is the third game relying on the same foundation.

Regardless I think it's in danger of becoming formulaic to a fault. Like Modern Warfare 3 was.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winternet

@Jost1: What about Gears of War 3. I haven't played it, but, as far as I can tell, the formula of a Gears game is the same in all 3 games. Cover, big monsters, chainsaw dudes. I haven't seen people complain.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jost1

@Winternet said:

@Jost1: What about Gears of War 3. I haven't played it, but, as far as I can tell, the formula of a Gears game is the same in all 3 games. Cover, big monsters, chainsaw dudes. I haven't seen people complain.

Yeah it worked for a third time, but it's not gonna win any Game of the Year Awards this year.

Are you interpreting this as some kind of console war thing, I hope you're not!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Winternet

@Jost1 said:

@Winternet said:

Yeah it worked for a third time, but it's not gonna win any Game of the Year Awards this year.

And your hopes are met. I own zero consoles. The white in my name is there for some reason :D

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm expecting about 90-95% Skyrim. 

Also, #lolatxplaysbestmultiplayergame

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Winternet

The Associated Press released its 2011 Top 10 list. Here is the link and here is the list:

1. Portal 2
  2. Skyrim
  3. Deus Ex
  4. Bastion
  5. Batman
  6. Infamous 2
  7. Zelda
  8. Uncharted 3
  9. Rayman Origins
  10. Dead Space 2
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Still no El Shaddai love...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

only el shaddai love there's gonna be is likely to be in the best looking games of the year (and honestly, not even that really) sorry :/

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winternet

@Video_Game_King said:

You know what? I think I saw El Shaddai somewhere. Let me see . . hmm . . oh, oh yes. It got a nomination in Best Art Direction on X-Play's awards. Batman won that.

I'ma add it to the list.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Winternet said:

@Video_Game_King said:

You know what? I think I saw El Shaddai somewhere. Let me see . . hmm . . oh, oh yes. It got a nomination in Best Art Direction on X-Play's awards. Batman won that.

What the fuck? (Because inflection does not come across in text (at least not in English), let me add that this statement is not in confusion, but in disapproval.)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zombie2011

@Winternet said:

@Jost1 said:

@Winternet said:

And your hopes are met. I own zero consoles. The white in my name is there for some reason :D

There was also a 3 year gap between the Gears games, compared to the 2 of the Uncharted games. So they made it feel a little more fresh, also no other game handles like Gears in terms of shooting so unless people played Gears 2 non-stop it felt newish.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

I am, quite honestly, shocked at Gamespot choosing Skyrim. Not that I don't like Skyrim (it is, frankly, my new favorite game ever), but  it isn't even close to their best-reviewed game this year (I know both Gears 3 and Dark Souls got higher scores). Yeah, sure, "everyone has to come to an agreement" and all that, but still...

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

I find it hilarious that MW3 didn't even get nominated for best multiplayer game at Gamespot.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Winternet

@zombie2011: Like I said, I have not played Gears. All I can say is what I see in video. And in video they all seem very similar. Which is not a bad thing, if they are all amazing games.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Winternet said:

@Jost1 said:

@Winternet said:

I would personally say that Gears of War 3 did not work a third time, but most people (especially critics) seem to disagree.

I think Skyrim will win many places as it's the game that's easiest to agree upon. While I don't expect to see it topping many personal 2011 lists, it's got something awesome in it for everybody. Basically, Skyrim's biggest advantage as a game and as a contender is breadth; it allows for a wide range of experiences, and so that grants a wide range of players having a good time.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Winternet

I just updated with the EDGE awards (not too hard to guess who won that) and the VGA (because why not).