Game recommendations for my wife?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kelbear

She plays an incredible amount of Diner Dash clones, and HOG (Hidden Object Games). She pretty much only plays stuff on www.shockwave.com and she plays a LOT of it. She has an astounding turnover rate in these games, she'll 100% one every week or so. But then she goes right back into play another one just like it, with only a re-skin to differentiate them.

It's pretty painful for me as a gamer to watch her pour so many hours into shovelware. There's got to be some real games that are simple enough for her to enjoy. She:

-Extremely low learning curves 
-Low time commitment (MMOs are disqualified, she doesn't want games that never end).  
-Time management games (Diner Dash clones) 

Dislikes: 
-Action (any jumping or shooting is pretty much instant disqualification). 
-Complexity  
-Excessive pressure (She gets overwhelmed pretty quickly unless the game has a real slow learning curve like Diner Dash games).

She enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies, Elite Beat Agents, a handful of simple RPGs, and Guitar Hero. I'm thinking maybe she could get into Adventure games? I don't really know where to start in that genre since I'm not really a fan of it. 

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By conker
@kelbear: Cooking Mama
shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shadyspace

Persona 3 or 4.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

World of Goo might be a good fit.  
As for adventure games, check out the ones that Telltale has been bringing out, to which I'm partial to the Same and Max series. Oh, and Machinarium.

Kayshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Kayshin
@kelbear: 
Adventure games might be a bit of a stretch if she dislikes complexity.  Some of them can be quite hard in figuring out what goes where. I suggest Mahjong or Half a Minute Hero. Try Desktop Dungeons for something a bit roguelike. If you want some easier adventure games go with some of the Telltale ones. Hope that helps.
Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Jayzz

Uncharted 2.

nvm. forgot how to read.

Farmville. Plants Vs Zombies. Any popcap game. Any XBLA or PSN downloadable title that's well liked imo.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Sliced_Bread

Sam & Max and/or Tales of Monkey Island

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Grumbel
@kayshin said:
" @kelbear:  Adventure games might be a bit of a stretch if she dislikes complexity.
Most modern adventure games have build in hint systems and are pretty simplified compared to the adventures of old (only one verb, can't die, only few items in the inventory, etc.). 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

Scribblenauts 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Costume Quest and Stacking would also probably be great depending on what consoles you have.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Mass Effect or Dragon Age series, preferably on easy (without her knowing that) seems to be rather good for non gamers (my housemate is totally in love with those kind of games now thanks to Dragon Age.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance maybe? Kinda long though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Professor Layton, of course.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Skald
theredace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theredace

The ultimate gateway drug for my wife was PixelJunk Monsters. She has very little patience for games, yet she poured HUNDREDS of hours into that game attempting to rainbow every level. And she asks me about once a week if there is a PJ Monsters 2 announced yet.

She also liked PixelJunk Shooter, but Monsters is by far her favorite.

Would also recommend trying Little Big Planet, though it's hit and miss. I know a lot of ladies who like it, but my wife actually hated it.

I second Peggle and Costume Quest.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By optimusprime223

Viva Pinata might be good, my wife loves it. She plays more the DS version but has played the console games too, its simple but deep at the same time and fun, not too taxing.  

Plus the games are old so can pick em up quite cheap...
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She might actually really enjoy Heavy Rain. It's simple enough, and takes a while to explain any intricacies in movement, plus it has a great story and has regular auto-save between sections. 

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By RichardLOlson

Here is a few games that she might like to play:
1. Washing Dishes
2. How fast can you fetch my beer
3. How long can you ride me

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@kelbear: And then its out fault when we bash girl gamers *sigh*
najibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By najibu

i got my wife to start playing games with iphone games. She went from puzzle quest to puzzle agent to infinity blade to dead space and by that time I could even play Dead Space Extraction with her

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By penguindust

I really enjoyed a light RPG on my DS called  Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island.  It mostly about gathering items to make new stuff in your alchemy pot, but there's some turn based combat too.  The type normally associated with JRPG, but mostly simplified although there can be a bit of a grind if you're not prepared.  There isn't much of a penalty to death though that I can recall.  You just return to town from your foraging.  The game also has some business management that mostly involves placing the right non-active party member in the right store as manager.  The best thing about the game though was its characters and dialog.  It was surprisingly funny.  I could play it for about 10-20 minutes and leave it without really worrying about losing my place.  YouTube Trailer

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oysteinBrenne

ghost trick

reddin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By reddin

I would say Puzzle Quest is a perfect fit. The first one is a bit more simplistic than the second one, but they're both great. 
Adventure games can be pretty awkward in what they expect you to do, but Ghost Trick is pretty straight forward with some interesting puzzles and a nice story. And if she likes the story telling in that she can move on to the Ace Attorney games.  
If you have any iDevices then there's Game Dev Story or their new game Hot Springs Story.
Perhaps the Professor Layton games?
If she liked EBA then Rhythm Heaven seems like a good fit, and is an awesome rhythm game.
The Mario RPGs are nice simple RPGs as well, but can involve some tricky timing.
That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FongGhoul

What platform(s)? My gut reaction would be to go with some of the more approachable tower defense games like Fieldrunners (on easy at first) or the Bloons series.  

Might also recommend Costume Quest or Stacking on XBLA, or Battleheart on iOS. Battleheart is an awesome combat-only "RPG" (only in that you level up, equip items, and there are classes) that focuses on roles each character play in battle (i.e. tank, melee, healer, mage). It eventually gets tough, but its got a nice learning curve and you can always grind. Grinding isn't really a chore since the game is all combat anyway.

I have one suggestion that fails many of the like/dislike tests on your list but might still be a hit: 

Dragon Quest IX. For me, the best parts of the game are the LOOT and the little bite-sized story vignettes. The combat is not so difficult - there's enough depth for people that want it to be complex but they added a "Tactics" feature that lets you put your three companions on autopilot according to several preset strategies (focus on healing, don't use MP, fight wisely, or no mercy). I've gotten through about half the game without ever really having to do much other than use a few of my main characters skills and spells. I probably didn't have to do more than select "attack," but I wanted to mix it up a bit. Things might get harder, but I'm moving so slow doing other stuff that I'm way overleveled so the combat is all pretty easy.

The loot, alchemy feature, and "dress-up" parts of the game are a lot of fun. The drawbacks (from your list) would be its length (you could easily send 100's of hours if you try to do everything in the game, while a direct run-through of the main quest might take you 15-25 hours) and I suppose its complexity. But if she's played other RPGs she could definitely keep up. The leveling and class system, while fairly simple, is well-executed and "idiot-proof" (no offense intended) - you can't really mess up your characters even if you don't min-max.  

The game is super-addictive, and there's lots to do to keep you going - always something new to alchemize, new outfits to try on, that next step on your skill tree, new quick quests to conquer. If you have a DS, give it a shot. If she doesn't like it, you should try it.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By PhatSeeJay
Stacking is the only game that comes to mind when reading your post.