Game suggestions for my 50 year old dad.

bloogsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bloogsy

Hey duders, my dad has just bought himself a PS4 and wants to know what games he should get in order to play online with me. He's in his late 50s, and whilst we used to play a lot of original xbox and 360 games together, the last thing we played heavily was probably Advanced Warfare. I'm kind of over CoD now and he isn't too excited by the reviews for WWII, but those sorts of games were ideal because he didn't have to learn a bunch of abstracted rules. Can anybody suggest some good online games for me to recommend to him, ideally stuff that's not too systems/mechanics-heavy? I was thinking that Battlefield One might be simple enough that he can run around and shoot guys, with enough depth to keep my interested. Alternatively, is WWII worth getting?

Thanks in advance :)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

If you're looking for shooters to play together, something like Overwatch might be good. It's simple enough in that there's no load-outs to it, each character just has a few abilities and there's plenty of variety from character to character. It's also a single purchase game - all the new characters and maps get added to it for free.

Titanfall 2 is a great one for that too. There's no maps or classes or titans behind a payway. It's great fun, you can customize your character how you like and again there's not too many system in it. It's mostly run and gun.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Wildlands might be a choice, since you can take things at your own pace and there's nothing too complex to contend with. It is also good coop too. Not a true FPS though, except for aiming, so don't know if it would qualify. I thought it was underrated and quite enjoyable - I'm 51!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom Clancy’s The Division, or does that have too much going on with it?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Destiny 2 might be good if you're just going for shooters.

I think sports games online can be a lot of fun, but not sure if your dad's into any sports.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MattGiersoni

Aside from above mentions: Borderlands The Collection should be good for co-op, unless you're put off by the style! The whole Uncharted series is available on PS4, 5 games with fun action movie style stories, that he could play on his own or co-op modes in U4 and Lost Legacy. There are some puzzle sections so that might be a problem, but they aren't too complicated. Far Cry 4 is good in co-op. GTA V should be easy to grasp as well and it has a first person view if your dad hates third person. The first Battlefront is cheap too now. FC4 and BL have some rpg elements but I don't think they are too complicated and could be ignored, Uncharted on the other hand should be pretty straightforward :)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Zevvion

I'd say Borderlands 2. It does have a lot of possibilities in terms of builds, but especially in a first playthrough, you don't need to engage with that too much.

Destiny 2 is also one that might be fun, though I think that game's best parts are not just played together, but also with other people with Raids and such. It kind of depends how deep you want to go. If you want to just 'do the campaign' I wouldn't recommend it as quickly.

You might have some fun times with Splinter Cell games, specifically Conviction and Blacklist. I played that a lot with a friend of mine and they are good fun to play co-op. The good part about these games is that you actually have to work together instead of other co-op games where one person can carry the other. You'll be saying a lot of: 'Dad, you grab that one then immediately after shoot the guy on the left, then I'll get this one and shoot the guy on the right, on 3, okay?' It can be reasonably tense. Good bonding game.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Max_Cherry

Why is your father so young? My dad is going to be 70 in April.

bloogsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bloogsy

@max_cherry: Haha, well he's actually closer to 60 but I thought I'd do him a favour and round down :P

bloogsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm still open to more but both Overwatch and Wildlands are probably the kind of thing we could both play happily. I was thinking about Destiny 2, since we're both big Halo fans (played 1 through Reach together) but there's too much going on in the multiplayer, and too many obtuse/abstract mechanics in the raids and strikes for him to enjoy, I'm going to let him try my copy of D2 over Christmas and see how he gets on. @zevvion I will have a look at the Splinter Cell games, that sounds like fun!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@bloogsy: Actually now that I think about it, the Splinter Cell games might be a bit more difficult to control than most other games. But I figured since your dad plays Call of Duty, it is probably fine? I mean, he has a reasonable amount of thumb skill if he can play those games effectively.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is he into golf? My dad's around the same age and we played some Everybody's Golf yesterday and had a good time.

SoldierDaisy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Tanks!

Rewenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dying Light is really good fun and the enhanced edition is probably cheap as chips now.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I've played Halo 4-5, Destiny 1-2, and Gears 4 with my dad. He's 72. He's pretty good with the coop, he just doesn't do well with PVP, so we don't do any of that. No raids in Destiny, but I'm not interested in that anyway. Strikes are pretty easy to pick up a third guy with.

I can see Borderlands being fun.

Mattca123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mattca123

Coincidentally a man about that age asked me at the store what game he should get with his new xbox one. I told him to get Wolfenstein 2. I know his world is about to be rocked lol.

ajman1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad has been playing the sniper elite series since the second one released. He's plays them as a more slower paced FPS, and with their many difficulty levels it was the game he learned to use a controller. Sniper Elite 4 has a co-op mode where one player is the spotter and the other the sniper and is some of the most fun I have had gaming with my dad. He also really enjoys Elder Scrolls Online, "It's like Game of Thrones, but easier to follow."

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is interesting because my dad is almost 60 and he could never figure out any of these games mentioned. I'd have to recommend to him something more like Pac-Man.

ChaosOrdeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fifty-one, I have been playing video games since the birth of video games. I play the same damn games you kids play (PUBG, a re-play of Stardew, and Breath of the Wild featured heavily for me this year). Get off my lawn.

bloogsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the extra suggestions all :)

@mattca123: The ultimate old man game! I don't particularly want to bankrupt him though...

@soldierdaisy: Wolfenstein TNO and TNC are both excellent suggestions

My old man has the thumbstick dexterity necessary to be average-to-mediocre at Modern Warfare and other similar shooters, but he gets confusedby the meta elements

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overwatch maybe.

TheCowmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does he love tower defense games?

Mattca123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad and me take turns playing Formula 1 with my racing wheel setup. That i think any older man would enjoy.

Avatar image for deactivated-610c321d60197
deactivated-610c321d60197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 65 year old dad really digs diablo 3. It is easy to pick up and is good online.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tanstaafl

War Thunder! The thinking mans war game :)

It's free to play so easy to get into for both of you and it's available on PC or ps4 with crossplay so also easy to play together whatever your situation.

It's tanks and airplanes (and soon boats) from ww2 and later(perfect for a 50 year old dad to get into). There's arcade mode if you guys don't have my kinda patience but if you do play realistic battles for slightly slower pace your dad would probably appreciate (also playing smart matters more there).

Uh.. incase you guys do want to join you can use my referral link or better yet use it for one of your accounts then use your own link for the other (it is a free to play game after all ;) )

sanderjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own a PS4 so some of these suggestions are second hand info, only from seeing others play:

Overwatch has a pretty steep learning curve (since you have to learn what the 4 abilities of each hero are, which only really comes from putting in time), but it is finely tuned to be fun while you are learning.

And if you follow the #1 rule (Always teamfight, never go on solo adventures) it should always be pretty fun. Also it looks cool and different.

Destiny 2 may be a more straightforward shooter with nearly 0 penalty for failure apart from falling off ledges during missions (which can reset to checkpoint)

But it is basically slowly increasing numbers: The game.

Depending of if your dad is interested that way, Yakuza 0 may be an option?

A long storydriven game that is mostly about beating up yakuza, isn't very hard, allows you to grind for xp and power if you wish, and is set in an era in which he probably was just about getting culturally aware (since it's set roughly 30 years ago). The minimap always shows where your next main quest target is.

The downside is that the inventory and menu system look..... unintuitive.

Also consider (Major Sports franchise he likes)

The two tomb raider games are very controller heavy but also pretty easy.

And Horizon:Zero Dawn may be the best "Open World" option.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6
deactivated-5fe944c2b23b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to EB/Gamestop and buy some cheapo used games. Let him figure out what he likes. Be adventurous!

firsttimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about a city builder or a game of chess with the computer.