• 59 results
Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Erk_Forever

My friend sits around basically doing nothing with herself and being sort of boring, so, I figured I could try to illuminate her life with the great hobby of gaming. I'm thinking of games that are pretty accessible and have a pretty low learning curve. All the games I think of are a little too hard for her. When I say that I don't mean she isn't smart enough for them, but, minor challenges in life infuriate and frustrate her. Any suggestions?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Give a girl Fable 2 or The Sims and they'll be entertained for hours. I'm actually really glad a new Sims game comes out every few months so I can keep my wife occupied and happy while I play my own games =)

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

Ever thought of playing fighting games together? Or Wipeout?

Also, I suggest playing anything in co-op. Anything, really, she might suck, but my girlfriend also sucked at games for a long while and it didn't stop her from having a lot of fun.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By falserelic

Duke Nukem Forever. I'm sure she'll have loads of fun with that game. Even though I wish we had gotten this version of DNF.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Ghostiet said:

Ever thought of playing fighting games together? Or Wipeout?

Also, I suggest playing anything in co-op. Anything, really, she might suck, but my girlfriend also sucked at games for a long while and it didn't stop her from having a lot of fun.

The fighting games things is a really good idea. I don't normally play them so I won't have a huge leg up. she gets pretty frustrated on co-op too. Know any good non shooters? That's most of what I play.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toxeia

Witcher 1. You're welcome.

Actually, without knowing anything else other than female, it's hard to say. Would something classic do it for her? Maybe something from the NES era? Could she handle something with a few more mechanics?

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Toxeia said:

Witcher 1. You're welcome.

The image of rage that has brought to my mind makes me smile.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghostiet
@Erk_Forever said:

Know any good non shooters? That's most of what I play.

Beat 'em-ups are pretty good, since you can always mash the fuck out of them and most of the time there's an option to get your partner out of a pickle. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a pretty damn good choice in my opinion.

But yeah, fighting games. Get something mashy like Tekken or with an easy to grasp fighting system like Mortal Kombat.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Picard

The Sims, bitches love the Sims.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kmdrkul

Super Mario Bros. for the Wii? Relatively simple game mechanics, plus you both can play on the same screen. I know you said she gets frustrated at co-op games but sidescrollers have way easier controls then shooting games and stuff. In my opinion, fighting games might not be the right choice if she gives up easily. Those games are specifically one-on-one, so if she loses she's probably not going to feel too hot about it...

Oh! And Wii Sports. Everyone loves Wii Sports.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By biggiedubs

Beyond Good & Evil HD?

I'd say your best bet is something that isn't mired with mechanics and has a (decent) female protagonist, or at least the potential to make the protagonist female. That or just some causal multiplayer game stuff, there's some decent stuff in the XBLIG category if you can find them. Stuff like Mamotte Knight /Protect Me Knight, B.U.T.T.O.N or They Came From The Ground.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the same things you'd suggest to a male friend who wasn't that into games.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By falling_fast

Portal?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dtat

@Erk_Forever: What console(s) do you own? That will determine what kinds of suggestions I can give.

What sort of personality does she have? Would she enjoy a beat'em'up or any kind of game based on beating the shit out of baddies? Cause if not, that directs your choices a lot. Nintendo games are always a great introduction proper into vidja games.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ghost_cat

By the sound of it, you should be more concern about getting her motivated to do something productive rather than just play games.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Ghost_Cat: I probably should have specified in her free time. You know what they say though. There are two types of people in the world. People who can infer from incomplete data

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Erk_Forever

@biggiedubs: Beyond good and Evil is exactly what I had in mind. I saw it browsing games on steam and it was like seeing 1 + 1 = 2

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zleunamme

@Ghost_Cat said:

By the sound of it, you should be more concern about getting her motivated to do something productive rather than just play games.

I agree with this statement. If the OP cares about his friend. He needs to have a conversation with her about what is going on. Not try to push her to like stuff that he likes.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deusx

Dark Souls

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Zleunamme said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

I agree with this statement. If the OP cares about his friend. He needs to have a conversation with her about what is going on. Not try to push her to like stuff that he likes.

I agree. OP clearly doesn't give two shits about his friend, and would not address an issues such as doing nothing with her life. Everyone knows school and work count as the sort of activities that do not constitute boring. Furthermore, I enjoy contributing irrelevant information.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ghost_cat

@Erk_Forever: Sorry if I misinterpreted the information. But what game to suggest? I say check out PSN's collection of downloadable games. I remember a lot of them being simple, fun, and with co-op. Mario Kart is always a sure-fire with the ladies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lego series; Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, Pirates, LOTR....

They're cute puzzle/action games which girls like... including myself :D and even has split-screen co-op so you could join in the achievement binge with her!!

Umm Portal 1 and 2 are simplistic once you learn the new dynamics. Not physically demanding and portal 2 blew my mind. No lie. The game's dynamics are crazy enough to where she'll be hooked for hours.

Also lots of XBLA games like fez and undergarden only (240 ms points)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

I introduced several female friends to the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. They loved them.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wjb

Yo, I heard Borderlands 2 is gonna have a girlfriend mode, but I don't know if that applies to "non-girlfriends" too. I'll ask and get back atcha.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bicycleham

Dating Sims

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Erk_Forever

@Ghost_Cat: I was thinking of turning her on to Journey and Flower. I haven't played them, but, have heard pretty good things. I'm trying to look more towards co-op stuff where I can play a support role and enable her; she told me she doesn't like to feel like she's bringing me down in games, so, if I find a way to subtly enable be the key to victory she may have more fun. This way I can sort of wipe up her mistakes, and at the same time give her that positive feed-back from winning.

NinjaBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NinjaBerd

The Mario Party series if you have a Wii. I have several non-gaming female friends you go nuts for those games.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erk_Forever

@wjb: Are pulling my chain?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By fobwashed

As crazy as it may seem, some people are just not into gaming nor will they ever be. I've got close to no interest in sports even though I used to play them and I'm sure that's just as weird to sports fans as it is to think that there are people not into games. My lady is pretty much not into games at all and she's even made an effort to try them since I'm so into em but no dice. That being said, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing would be my initial suggestions along side some really casual stuff like bejeweled and peggle. If she's willing, have her try a variety of things until you can figure out what types of games she may be into.

Also, I'd stay away initially from games that require any kind of precise controller or mouse/keyboard use like 1st or 3rd person games as for the uninitiated, those controls are pretty daunting.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wjb

@Erk_Forever said:

Yes and no. Borderlands 2 is going to be awesome, so play it! Even if she's just watching, man, it's Borderlands 2. What is she going to do, not watch Borderlands 2? Pfft...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By The_Nubster

@Zleunamme said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

Are we really playing pseudo-therapist here? In a thread about videogames?

Motherfucker.

Has it ever occurred to you two that OP and friend are at an age where, perhaps, they don't have many responsibilities and can do what they want? Young teens, for example? Or maybe, when OP says that she sits around being bored, he means after school/work?

But obviously no. Forget that he's trying to get her invested in something fun and interesting from the goodness in his heart. Forget that video games are, at different times, a source of fun, the vessel for an incredible story, and the means to feeling accomplished and fulfilled, among other things. Clearly she's got something awful going on in her personal life and OP is trying to force his dead-end hobby onto her so she can't do anything with her life. That's what's happening, I'll bet. Yeah, definitely that's what's up.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Erk_Forever

@wjb said:

@Erk_Forever said:

Yes and no. Borderlands 2 is going to be awesome, so play it! Even if she's just watching, man, it's Borderlands 2. What is she going to do, not watch Borderlands 2? Pfft...

That's a really good point. What was I thinking?

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By predator

Dwarf Fortress.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By j0lter

If you wanna make her completely stop playing video games forever, give her dark souls lol

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zleunamme

I'm really sorry. I went by what the other person said and trying to understand the intention of the post. I shouldn't have jump to conclusions. Good luck finding the game.

Where are you are manners? I wasn't talking to you. I didn't call the OP or you a name. You're make a lot assumptions on what is going on too unless you know OP personally. So I will ask you nicely to back off and have a nice day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WipeOut is pretty easy to learn & fun coop.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Harkat

Dark Souls

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ajamafalous

RapeLay

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Example1013

What would she be doing playing video games in the kitchen?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I always found some girl friends really enjoyed playing the Super Smash Bros Series. Usually its characters they can identify if they are into games or not, plus the social aspect of playing other friends can get pretty fun. Its also not as in-depth as other fighting games so you can play it and have fun with it without thinking too much on mechanics.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube, maybe? The first two games are pretty easy to learn and understand, but it can be a biotch in later levels. The party mode it has great dumb fun (i remember liking Monkey bowling when all else failed). No one in my life talks about how awesome Super Monkey Ball was and is, so play it!

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Kirby's Epic Yarn, or Nightmare in/Return to Dreamland, or Dreamland 3. Super Street Fighter IV or Tekken Tag Tournament 2(coming out on the 11th, has really fun tutorial mode). Beyond Good & Evil HD, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Pokemon FireRed, Wii Sports (Resort), Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (on easy if need be), Super Smash Bros. series (64 or Brawl), and Mario Kart Wii. Bolded is a co-op/multiplayer game.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By gaminghooligan

@Picard said:

The Sims, bitches love the Sims.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By NMC2008

Burgertime, play that, get mad, never play any video game again.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By emprpngn

My fiancee is really into the Fable series. Maybe start there?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By NMC2008

Oh ok, I will give you a serious answer. Sounds like some co-op gaming is needed, so start off with some good old TMNT The Arcade Game, see if she digs it or not, then if so move on to The Simpsons Arcade and then X-MEN, if she's digging those then give her the Scott Pilgrim action followed by Castle Crashers. Then you go from there.

If she doesn't dig the beat em ups then move on to Guitar Hero or *sigh* Roooock Baaaaand *sigh*, see if she digs that stuff, if not then she's sure to dig L.A. Noire.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mcfart

@Xolare said:

Dating Sims

This. With H-scenes if possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b9ec5d3cffc
deactivated-58b9ec5d3cffc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very easy automatic mode in Bayonetta

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By GalacticPunt

@Erk_Forever said:

minor challenges in life infuriate and frustrate her. Any suggestions?

Tell her to Harden the Fuck Up.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By flasaltine

She sits around and does nothing and is bored. You are with her. There are much better things you could be doing besides video games.