GameStop, I hate you. Developers providing exclusives I hate you.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By l4wd0g

OK developers I’ve heard enough. If you don’t like used game sales, stop giving GameStop exclusive (and often game altering) preorder bonuses. There you go.   Problem solved. Now I’m going to go pay $5 to download the Lost Planet 2 maps because I didn’t buy it from GameStop.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By l4wd0g

OK developers I’ve heard enough. If you don’t like used game sales, stop giving GameStop exclusive (and often game altering) preorder bonuses. There you go.   Problem solved. Now I’m going to go pay $5 to download the Lost Planet 2 maps because I didn’t buy it from GameStop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

You are a goddamn genius.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@l4wd0g said:
"

"
If you really want the map get over yourself and order from game stop. There is no reason NOT to get it from them. Gamestop is the biggest gaming chain around the U.S (as far as I know) And that is why they do it. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Do you HAVE to have the maps to play online, ala Halo 3?  If so, that's some bullshit. 

Modern Warfare has always had the best option for this:  you can DL the map packs, but if someone in your party doesn't have those maps, then it just doesn't show them.  It's not like Bad Company 2, which kicks anyone without the VIP map codes out of your party...or Halo 3, which cuts off playlists because you don't have the map packs. 

Moreover, making this map pack an add-in for pre-ordering is slightly ridiculous, and especially because so many people are just now finding out about it. 

Yes, it is worrisome that publishers are complaining about used game stores, then giving used game stores exclusives for new games.  What incentive are they really giving people to stop buying used games WHEN THEY ARE TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO GO INTO USED GAME STORES?! 

If you can still play the online in LP2 with no interruptions, then I don't understand your complaint.  If you can't, then I think it's totally justified.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jakob187 said:
" Do you HAVE to have the maps to play online, ala Halo 3?  If so, that's some bullshit.  Modern Warfare has always had the best option for this:  you can DL the map packs, but if someone in your party doesn't have those maps, then it just doesn't show them.  It's not like Bad Company 2, which kicks anyone without the VIP map codes out of your party...or Halo 3, which cuts off playlists because you don't have the map packs.  Moreover, making this map pack an add-in for pre-ordering is slightly ridiculous, and especially because so many people are just now finding out about it.  Yes, it is worrisome that publishers are complaining about used game stores, then giving used game stores exclusives for new games.  What incentive are they really giving people to stop buying used games WHEN THEY ARE TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO GO INTO USED GAME STORES?!  If you can still play the online in LP2 with no interruptions, then I don't understand your complaint.  If you can't, then I think it's totally justified. "
I heard MW2 had a issue where it doesn't tell you if you have the map and kicks you after the count down. That is why people where saying they are being forced to by the Package if they wanted to play with their friends. 
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By l4wd0g

GameStop makes the majority of their money on used game sales. The problem is when you buy from GameStop you're always encouraged to trade in your games for a "huge" discount on the latest and greatest. 

Preorders are great for everyone. You have a reserved copy, the developers and the providers  have a confirmed sale. Until you take into account the trading in of used games to buy the preordered game.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@l4wd0g said:
" GameStop makes the majority of their money on used game sales. The problem is when you buy from GameStop you're always encouraged to trade in your games for a "huge" discount on the latest and greatest.   Preorders are great for everyone. You have a reserved copy, the developers and the providers  have a confirmed sale. Until you take into account the trading in of used games to buy the preordered game. "
They also give big bonuses when you trade in for certain games. Is this all about used game stuff? 
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By l4wd0g
@The_Laughing_Man: 

my issue is the developers providing exclusive content to a company that will give you extra trade-in credit for your used games toward the preorder.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@l4wd0g said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:   my issue is the developers providing exclusive content to a company that will give you extra trade-in credit for your used games toward the preorder. "
What..I..am not understanding what you mean. Your upset that you get extra trade in credit for games you do not play any more? 
Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Laharl

God of war 3 was the worst with this. 5 different costumes and the only way to get them is to preorder from a certain store? Fuck that, thanks for getting rid of any re-playability in your game.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio

My good friend, please reconsider your words. It is not the developers at fault, it is the publishers. They are the ones selling out the developer to GameStop. 

GameStop and their exclusive DLC bonuses should be illegal. They make is you must purchase an upcoming game from them if you want to a complete game. 
And to top it off, I bet most of the DLC they tout is already on the disc you purchased.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supermarius

It's just that developers hate when you buy their game used at gamestop, but they love it when you trade in some other developer's game to buy their game new at gamestop.  So they are conflicted, and maybe being a bit hypocritical.Its simply a business move, its not about what's right or wrong.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

That doesn't make sense. The games Gamstop is getting to sell used aren't necessarily the ones that they get from their new game sales.  

It also won't hurt them as much as you think cause most of their revenue comes from used game sales, which, again, the supply of which doesn't necessarily come from gamestop new game sales.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696
@l4wd0g: Ok I think I figured out where you're coming from. Developers bitch and complain that they arent making money on used game sales. Yet they still give Gamestop pre-order bonuses. Here's the problem with your argument. Developers are battling used sales, not new sales. That's why they're adding codes in the boxes and pre-order codes. If you don't like it then buy it used and pay the extra money to get the DLC. 
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Or you could look at this in a different way - they give the pre-order deals to GameStop to get people to buy the game new and get bonuses for doing it instead of waiting a day after release and getting it used.  But they are still walking them into a used game store.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By meteora
@jakob187:  True and not true. When playing alone, it'll filter out all of the DLC maps, so its like a hidden lobby for people without the DLC. When playing with other people who has the DLC (in this case, your friends) while they are in the lobby, you will be included in a lobby where DLC is permitted. You won't be kicked or anything, but if the lobby fails to "veto" a DLC map, you'll get booted. 

Though its still the best viable option on consoles for both developers and players. Not like the original COD4 DLC map was all that great anyways.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By l4wd0g
@xobballox:  That isn't working. The problem is when you  preorder a game at GameStop you are lambasted about trading in your used game for some "super-deal" on the game with all of the exclusive preorder content.  So GameStop now has 2-3 used games, but you have all of the GameStop exclusive preorder content.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sixghost
@l4wd0g said:
" GameStop makes the majority of their money on used game sales. The problem is when you buy from GameStop you're always encouraged to trade in your games for a "huge" discount on the latest and greatest.   Preorders are great for everyone. You have a reserved copy, the developers and the providers  have a confirmed sale. Until you take into account the trading in of used games to buy the preordered game. "
How are preorders good for the consumer? It's obvious how the publishers and retailers benefit from this, but unless you are trying to reserve some CE or LE thing that you won't be able to find after release, preorders are bad for the consumer. When was the last time you were unable to find a game on release day? This isn't 2001 anymore, you can walk into any big retailer and find a copy of the game you want no matter how well the game is selling.

All preorders do is part you from your money earlier than normal. The only situation where preordering actually makes sense is if you are buying the game with GS credit and you want the game on day 1, since they never carry enough of the game on release day.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By l4wd0g
@ch13696:   

OK, I guess I wasn't clear with my main point. I understand that pre-orders are all around good for everyone. However, pre-ordering at GameStop is different than say a Best Buy. GameStop is strongly encouraging you to turn in your used games for a large discount toward the new game with the GameStop exclusive pre-order bonus. (see  http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/ ). With Best Buy I'm just harassed about extended warranties and I am enticed by all of the other gizmos and doodads.  

Does that help clear it up? 

Developers are offering pre-order exclusive to GameStop who wants and adverities turning in your used games for the exclusive  pre-ordered content.
yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By yevinorion

I hear your argument, and while I really hate the whole "store exclusive" preorder stuff, I don't mind preorder bonuses on the whole. The real kick in the teeth for me is that not all retailers are available to all of us and if one of the exclusive preorder bonuses is at one of those retailers then some people just get that option cut off completely. I understand their idea of giving the consumer a choice, but when I'm getting a preorder bonus I'm not even interested in because the one I really want is at a retailer I cannot access then that just sucks. Why not make all preorder bonuses the same across all stores and then just have that SAME preorder bonus as paid DLC for people who didn't preorder?

This is my main beef with Gamestop. They consistently get the biggest and arguably best preorder bonuses. It doesn't seem to be shared equally with other retailers. In fact, a lot of the time they get the ONLY preorder bonus for a game leaving other retailers with nothing to offer.

As far as it affects the "trade in" scheme, I think there is somewhat of a conflict of interest, but it seems smaller in the grand scheme of things when you realize that without Gamestop pushing their games, devs/publishers would see a fraction of the sales they currently see in the US. It's an unavoidable fact that Gamestop is the largest retail chain in North America for video games. You're shooting yourself in the foot to not sell with them. So at some point I guess you just have to try and work with them, and their practices that undermine your business, as best you can. Apparently by giving them unique preorder bonuses to try and push your new game sales.

Avatar image for metalmilitia915
MetalMilitia915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By MetalMilitia915

Other than the fact that it's a flithy monopoly it's limited to US citizens ; inaccessible to other people! 

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Kyreo

I just hate pre-order bonuses in general.  They're often times stupid but I find myself looking forward to them.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phantomzxro
@yevinorion:
More or less i agree with you i don't have any problem with pre-order bonues in general but i only hate when you have like 5 pre-order bonues at different stores it does suck if your not near the one store that has the pre-order you want. Also if you are a super fan of something and want everything that game has to offer, then all those pre-order bonues can be a nightmare ( looking at you mass effect 2) . My only beef with gamestop is them trying to over sale me things. There was a point when there was cool people at my local gamestop but then you get that one guy who aiming to be employee of the month (corporate style) and try to sell you everything in the store everytime you step foot into it and that can be tiring after awhile when you just want to pop in and out with your game.
Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomethingClever

I've been known to tell the GameStop clerks I would sooner throw my games in the garbage than allow them to give me 5 or 10 credit for something they will turn around and sell for 40 bucks or more.   

I've worked in a position where I was buying things from customers and then reselling them later and it is a tricky thing to get right but there is no incentive for me here.  The deals they offer just don't help me (trade in these games to get this other game you already have cheaper). 

That being said, in the past I once trade in all my games simply because I was pretty broke and was looking for any cash I could get my hands on so that single dollar for my game was worth it for me when I had a few dozen games all at once.  Plus I could tell by the clerks exasperated look that he hated me for making him take the time to to deal with all these low value games.  I got a few bucks I desperately needed and made his life hell for a bit.  Normally, having worked retail, I take pity on clerks and try not to make things difficult but I considered this a win. 

As for preorder bonuses, they are just that. . .  bonuses.  I decide to buy a game for what comes in the package regardless of where I buy it.  Sure store X might offer something neat with it but if X = GameStop I buy it elsewhere.  As for cost (and trade ins reducing cost), I know we all don't have a lot of disposable income and that is why I pick my purchases carefully.  However, I can afford to pay full price and support the people who made the game rather than support GameStop, so that's what I do.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, these preorder exclusives are really getting out of hand. It's completely retarded. I'm okay with preorders giving you early access to stuff that might take a while to unlock in a game otherwise, but when it's completely exclusive, that's just wrong.

FullmetalPopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FullmetalPopo

There's no reason to get tha tupset over one map... It's ONE map take a chill pill and get over it. Gamestop is one of the biggest chains for buying video games in teh world and that's why they do this.. If the pre-order bonus didn't come out and they just made you buy the maps you wouldn't be bitching then.. Also they don't have any game altering add-ons they might give a costume or something but that's a promotion for YOU to spend more money on the game for the publisher. If they didn't advertise the special editions with the maps and extra characters then there would be a substantial drop in profits of collectors editions of games. It's not gamestop you should be mad at. Blame the publisher. Gamestop has no say in it, they sell what they are given to make a profit like any other business. BAM :]
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By l4wd0g
@killerjigglypuff: 

I don't care about the map. I care about the offering of unique bonus material to GameStop and then complaining that people buy used games. It's and inane argument.
CrimsonJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CrimsonJester

Don't buy from GameStop.  I force myself to ignore all pre-order bonuses they have (and some I have wanted.)  If you are going to take a stand you can't play both sides of the fence.   I would love to find a way to end the used game market (digital distribution) but since I cannot end it myself I do what I can to not support it. I can't end animal cruelty but I can be a vegetarian (OK not the best analogy.)

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By Catolf

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm one of those who like to buy used.

I've gotten most of my Shin Magami Tensei games used because you can only get them really off the internet new. And I don't have an internet account, besides that, if I can get a game for half price used... fuck it, I'm buying. I'm cool with bonuses, right now i'm excited as hell for the preorder bonus for P3P. I'm getting that Junpei hat.

You guy's don't have to buy from Gamestop, go somewhere else, order online, but no where else, NO WHERE in my town sells the games I like and gamestop does.

They've treated me good, so I buy from them. Simple.

I don't see how everyone has all these issues with GS.. i love their used game isles, it saves me money. I like saving money.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By HaroldoNVU

I'm ok with the concept of store exclusive. I have no beef with GameStop. I just wished they shipped games to Brazil. After so many year I no longer resent not being able to get those exclusive bonus.